Oil Change Via LiquiVac System

I'm going down today to change the bike's oil. I'll be using my new LiquiVac Oil Changing System for the first time. I've actually had it sitting here since my last oil change but never used it. According to the specs, it should expunge the oil from a standard motorcycle in under half a minute! Well, we'll see about that! The nice thing about it is that once I remove the drain plug after using the LiquiVac, I'll only have a few drops of oil to contend with, instead of having to cover the exhaust with foil and rags. I can now just lay a low profile tupperware tray to catch anything from the filter. I am going to videotape the whole process for all to see later. Here's a shot of the unit......
LiquiVac002.jpg

I rather thought a good run of oil from the drain plug took most of the sludge with it which a 'few drops' won't do. They used this method on my lawn mower which I returned and asked them to do properly!

I rather thought a good run of oil from the drain plug took most of the sludge with it which a 'few drops' won't do. They used this method on my lawn mower which I returned and asked them to do properly!

That is probably true if your changing your oil with really long intervals, but I change it religiously every 3,000 miles. When using a drain pan, I have yet to see any sludge whatsoever coming from the drain plug. Also, the suction of the unit is pulling the oil from the bottom most part of the sump which means that if there is any "thick stuff" down there, it should be the first thing sucked up the tube.

This will be the first time using it so we'll see. This unit has gotten really good reviews from mechanics and end users alike so we'll see how it goes.

Video

Looking forward to the video. Now they just need to add a fiber optic camera hook up for the Go-pro so you can look around in there while your at it.

I know what you are saying about the change intervals. My oil still looks clean when I dump it, just a slightly different colour. Yet to see any sludge, doubt I ever will. I did use the tin foil trick the last change to keep the pipes clean. Just don't like having oil burning off the header. That works well. In order to get more of the oil to drain out I leaned the bike over quite far and held it there. Bit of a pain but a lot more oil came out that otherwise would stay to contaminate the new stuff. No matter how you do the change, it not a big job. Guys with full fairings ignor that last sentence.

This type of unit is best if you use it right after running the engine long enough to totally warm it up and get all the stuff that likes to sit in the bottom of the case suspended in the oil.. Then at least most of the crud gets sucked out. Don't use in when the oil hasn't been heated and mixed up well.

Well, I'm back upstairs from my oil change and all I can say for the LiquiVac System is it won't work on this particular bike. I didn't figure on the clutch assembly obstructing the path of the hose down to the sump. So I wound up doing the change the "old fashion way". I still ran video but I don't think anyone would be interested in that. It's been done 1000 times before. So the LiquiVac will have to wait for my car's oil change in order to get tested. It probably works on other types of bikes but not the FZ. Sorry guys!:shame:

Well, I'm back upstairs from my oil change and all I can say for the LiquiVac System is it won't work on this particular bike. I didn't figure on the clutch assembly obstructing the path of the hose down to the sump. So I wound up doing the change the "old fashion way". I still ran video but I don't think anyone would be interested in that. It's been done 1000 times before. So the LiquiVac will have to wait for my car's oil change in order to get tested. It probably works on other types of bikes but not the FZ. Sorry guys!:shame:

Sorry to hear that...I think most modern bike engines are more or less the same (from a design perspective) so the clutch assembly will be in the way most of the time.

Well, I didn't want to waste the video so if anyone wants to see a boring instructional video on how I change my oil, I have put it on the FZ1-Forum's Facebook page. I used my Canon HD camera which takes HD video. I used Facebook because their processing is so much better than "BoobTube". So if you want to see something worse than the Giants game, tune in to Facebook and check out the vid.

they whoop up on the Cowboys last week and choke this week --- didn't see yesterdays game or look for scores/highlights at the time of this post....

Back