Oil choice

I used the rotella t6 in my fz with no problems however my st1300 did not like it at all. Sticky shifting jumped out of gear replaced it with silkoline full syn. And it went back to the smooth tranny that i was used too. Pretty wierd

Rotella T6 is great and widely available. 10-40 as stated above is good for most vehicles in moderate weather conditions.

With modern oil technology you can't go wrong if you have oil in the bike. Worse comes to worse you notice your clutch isn't so smooth and you have to buy another 30 dollar oil change.

The only problem i had with full syn. Is putting it in a wee strom to early ( not enough miles on it) i put amsoil in at only 700 mi and the bike started burning oil rapidly and soon after i put it in. I would run dino oil till at least 1500 miles. Thats my opinion right or wrong i have purchased 10 new bikes and only had one problem with breakin issues.

Yamalube Synthetic. Designed by Yamaha for Yamaha.

Oh boy. Yamalube... made by Citgo now. Used to be made by Torco.... Made by the lowest bidder to Yamaha.

Not that there's anythign wrong with Yamalube... I know you work for Yamaha Jeff... but you know as well as anyone else... Yamaha doesn't make oil.... It's like Harley Davidson batteries... which are Yuasa batteries in a plastic HD cover. (seriously. not a different plastic body... just a cover over the Yuasa battery. You can cut it off with a knife. I've done it.)

Oh boy. Yamalube... made by Citgo now. Used to be made by Torco.... Made by the lowest bidder to Yamaha.

Not that there's anythign wrong with Yamalube... I know you work for Yamaha Jeff... but you know as well as anyone else... Yamaha doesn't make oil.... It's like Harley Davidson batteries... which are Yuasa batteries in a plastic HD cover. (seriously. not a different plastic body... just a cover over the Yuasa battery. You can cut it off with a knife. I've done it.)

I know "technically" we don't make oil, who doesn't. Our engineers work directly with the manufacturer to make the oils to our specifications and they go through BIG time testing. I've personally seen a R1 engine with 100K on it split in half and it looks damn near new. Being its a public forum I can't get into certain discussions. But I will say its a damn fine oil.

Yamalube Synthetic. Designed by Yamaha for Yamaha.

Yamalube is made by Citgo. Yamaha doesn't make oil. And oil is just a lubricant, manufacturers don't design engines around oil they simply use oil as a lubricant in the engines they build.

That being said, I rock amsoil or if i forget to plan ahead I use Mobil 1. I used to use Rotella back in my MX days until I tore my motor down and saw how much dirty residue it left behind. Switched to amsoil and the next tear down looked shiney clean.

Last edited:
Yamalube is made by Citgo. Yamaha doesn't make oil. And oil is just a lubricant, manufacturers don't design engines around oil they simply use oil as a lubricant in the engines they build.

That being said, I rock amsoil or if i forget to plan ahead I use Mobil 1. I used to use Rotella back in my MX days until I tore my motor down and saw how much dirty residue it left behind. Switched to amsoil and the next tear down looked shiney clean.

SMART MAN !!its nice to have the bike run a few degrees cooler with the amsoil too. I thought mobil 1 made yamalube

It could be. That's just what I heard from a Yamaha rep years ago at a SX race. So who knows who makes it now, but unless Yamaha has recently built an oil plant it's not made by them.

Truth is, if you get a motorcycle specific oil and change often enough you will be fine. These engines are well built and will go many miles on any oil. Any brand preferences are mostly opinion based. I have decided on my favorite brand and you probably have yours.

To the OP, just pick a oil you feel comfortable with and go ride. If you are really worried about it then send off a sample to Blackstone and go from there.

Back