Oil Usage, Burning?

I changed the oil on my Gen 1 just under 2k miles ago, and today I noticed the low oil light come on.

The last oil change was with Mobil 1 4t.

The bike does not leak.

Is the oil burning off? I don't notice that the exhaust smoke is dark or anything to indicate major burn off.

Is is just normal for the engine to use up the oil?

I have a Subaru STI, and because the turbo is oil cooled it tends to burn though oil and I have to add a quart around 2k miles, am I just experiencing something similar since this is a high performance engine?

Thanks for looking.

My gen 2 at 18,000 plus km does not use any noticable amount of oil between changes.

This (oil useage) is usually a sign of wear in the engine. Did the bike sit for a long time (unused) before you bought it? When a machine sits unused and was not stored properly to prevent corrosion on rings or cylinder walls it can lead to premature wear and oil consumption. Of course there are many other causes, but if it is using oil it means oil is getting past the rings (or valves) into the combustion chamber.

Well I wouldn't panic yet. It's not abnormal for an engine to burn a little oil and unless it's excessive you wont necessarily see it in the exhaust. Did you change the oil yourself last time? Was it filled up to the correct level? How much oil did it take now to get it up to the correct level now?

While opinions may vary I would say that if it took less than 1/2 a quart to come back to the proper level after 2k miles then it's not excessive oil consumption.

And by the way burning oil will show up as bluish white smoke in the exhaust, not dark. Dark smoke is usually an indication of a rich fuel condition.

I have a 2003 fz and mine is low about every 3000 miles it is a good indicator for me to that it time to change it. Where is the oil on the site glass after you change it?

Thanks for the replies.

I am not sure about the history of use on the bike before I bought it. I think the previous owner just rode it on weekends etc, he said the Original owner was a Marine, and that could mean anything since some Marines in this area live on base and some do not. I see plenty of Marines that commute to base, so it could of been a DD or a weekend warrior bike.

I put in 1/2 quart last night and that filled the glass all the way up. The oil level was at about 20% of the glass, meaning 80% empty before I put the oil in.

I am going to keep a look out on the oil glass more closely now. Normally I use the kickstand when I park the bike for the night, but I will make it a point to put it up on the other stand more often just to keep an eye on it.

As to the smoke thing, yeah that is sorta what I meant about darker smoke from the exhaust, currently you cannot even see the exhaust when it is at idle, so if it is burning oil, it is not enough to see in the exhaust smoke.

I'm amazed to hear this seeing as how my Gen 1 was at 60,000 miles and didn't use any oil at all.

I am beginning to think my bike was abused some before I bought her. I ride her very gentle since I am just a commuter, I tend to not even wind her up but maybe once per ride when getting on the freeway.

well, it is my first bike, could be worse.

My '04 Gen 1 does the same thing. I would say about every 500-600 miles I have to add a little oil to turn the oil light off. I have no leaks and engine is in great shape. I have used Mobil 1 Full Synthetic since I bought it. I bought the bike with 8000 miles, so I don't know if it did it prior to then. I figure I just have a needy bike. I thought of switching to a different oil, but I love they way it runs on what I am using now.

:sport12:

Thanks for the replies.

I am not sure about the history of use on the bike before I bought it. I think the previous owner just rode it on weekends etc, he said the Original owner was a Marine, and that could mean anything since some Marines in this area live on base and some do not. I see plenty of Marines that commute to base, so it could of been a DD or a weekend warrior bike.

I put in 1/2 quart last night and that filled the glass all the way up. The oil level was at about 20% of the glass, meaning 80% empty before I put the oil in.

I am going to keep a look out on the oil glass more closely now. Normally I use the kickstand when I park the bike for the night, but I will make it a point to put it up on the other stand more often just to keep an eye on it.

As to the smoke thing, yeah that is sorta what I meant about darker smoke from the exhaust, currently you cannot even see the exhaust when it is at idle, so if it is burning oil, it is not enough to see in the exhaust smoke.

My '04 Gen 1 does the same thing. I would say about every 500-600 miles I have to add a little oil to turn the oil light off. I have no leaks and engine is in great shape. I have used Mobil 1 Full Synthetic since I bought it. I bought the bike with 8000 miles, so I don't know if it did it prior to then. I figure I just have a needy bike. I thought of switching to a different oil, but I love they way it runs on what I am using now.

:sport12:

Due to varying manufacturing tolerances I would say both of your bikes are fine. It's not unusual for a bike (or car) to burn a little oil. If it was burning a quart every 500 miles...well that would be excessive.

My Gen 1 which now has 49,000km uses about a quart in 5000 km. Now this being said I fill it to top of sight glass to stop the oil light from coming on, it seems to work its way down to mid point were it stays. Could probably go 5000 km with almost no oil if I could put up with the red oil light on all the time.
Also when I was using Motol used very little till about 3500km range into oil change, been using Shell Rotola and consumption is more.
Bike runs fine maybe a tad on the Rich side but it is a daily runner with no issues.

Due to varying manufacturing tolerances I would say both of your bikes are fine. It's not unusual for a bike (or car) to burn a little oil. If it was burning a quart every 500 miles...well that would be excessive.

True. All engines use oil - It's part of the lubrication scheme for the cylinder walls. Some use more than others. Some, the usage is almost unnoticeable. Others, larger amounts. And they are all OK. Unless usage gets to be about one quart per 500 miles or more. Even 500 mile/quart engines can run that way for tens of thousands of miles.
Check a vehicle manufacturer's manual and you will find a very large tolerance for oil usage.
Your machine is normal. Have fun.

Back