oil warning light coming on

Hello all
The low oil warning light started coming on during my last ride. Once I noticed it was on, I slowed down, and shortly thereafter it went off. A few miles later it came back on, and it did this a few times before I stopped to check the oil level.
The oil level was correct, so I took about a 30 minute break for lunch and rode away again. The light came on again within the first mile, and cycled on and off (like before) 2 more times, and then didn't come on again during the rest of the ride.... approximately 30 miles.
Anybody have any ideas what I should be looking for?
The bike is an 02 FZ1 with 38K miles
I changed the oil about 800 miles ago.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

BK

Hello all
The low oil warning light started coming on during my last ride. Once I noticed it was on, I slowed down, and shortly thereafter it went off. A few miles later it came back on, and it did this a few times before I stopped to check the oil level.
The oil level was correct, so I took about a 30 minute break for lunch and rode away again. The light came on again within the first mile, and cycled on and off (like before) 2 more times, and then didn't come on again during the rest of the ride.... approximately 30 miles.
Anybody have any ideas what I should be looking for?
The bike is an 02 FZ1 with 38K miles
I changed the oil about 800 miles ago.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

BK

I can't believe your posting this BK. Yesterday morning I went down to take the bike to Walmart to get some stuff. I hadn't ridden it the day before. I started her up and after a minute my oil light comes on as well. I changed my oil with new filter 940 miles ago. I've never ever had a problem with the bike and always keep it perfect. It's an 01' with about 19,000 miles on it. I shut the bike down, wheeled it outside and checked the oil level. It looked exactly where it should be so I started her up again and the light was still on. I added about maybe 2 or 3 ounces of new oil, started her up and the light went out. I rode 75 miles round trip and it never went on again. The only thing I did different from anytime else was that I didn't warm the bike on the choke yesterday. I always start the bike with a little choke but yesterday I didn't. Is that the reason?, I don't think so. It shouldn't matter. Needless to say I was nervous all the way up and back. Especially now since tomorrow my son and I are taking the bike down to New Jersey for three days to see the AMA Superbike Races. Thats 140 miles each way plus whatever miles I put on down there. Could be over 400 total this weekend. Its just funny that the exact same thing happened to you and you also just changed the oil about the same mileage ago. I am stumped as to why it happened. I am hoping that because it was actually down in the 50's the night before that maybe the oil had thickened a bit and needed to heat up and circulate better. I don't know. If you find out before me, please let me know. I didn't run the bike today but am leaving at 6:00am tomorrow morning. When I get back I'll let you know how things went. Good luck with yours.

I'm not sure about the "02" models, but on my "08" there is an oil level switch on the pan just about 1 1/2 inches from the oil drain plug. You might check it/and the connection to the electricl system. A bad conection can flag an alarm. According to my manual there's not a pressure indicator, but you can use one to test the pressure. This is another time a model specific manual comes in handy. The Manual for mine lists the parts needed to put a pressure gauge in the system. They say about 32 PSI is correct.

Last edited:
I would still look at the level every time.
I would at least have it checked when time and funds alow it.

I should have had the 01 looked at when it first started doing it.

I would still look at the level every time.
I would at least have it checked when time and funds alow it.

I should have had the 01 looked at when it first started doing it.

I guess I'll have to wait until I get back from the races on Sunday. I know my level is perfect so I'll just keep tabs on it until I get back. Thanks "J".

yeah... ok... here's the deal... the oil light is very very touchy... and the oil level is special as well... when the oil light comes on, you look at the sight glass, and see that it's 1/2 to 3/4 of the way up the sight glass.... on any other bike, this is just fine... not the FZ.... on the FZ, the proper oil level is a lot higher than you would think... when properly filled, there should be just a small bubble at the top of the sight glass... maybe the size of a BB... then... the oil light goes off.

yeah... ok... here's the deal... the oil light is very very touchy... and the oil level is special as well... when the oil light comes on, you look at the sight glass, and see that it's 1/2 to 3/4 of the way up the sight glass.... on any other bike, this is just fine... not the FZ.... on the FZ, the proper oil level is a lot higher than you would think... when properly filled, there should be just a small bubble at the top of the sight glass... maybe the size of a BB... then... the oil light goes off.

Thanks Aaron. That makes me feel more comfortable being that I'll be heading out on a long ride tomorrow. I know when I changed the oil a couple of weeks ago, I put the exact amount specified the best I could. I believe it was 3.6 Qts with a filter change. I did add a couple of ounces and it shut off. Hopefully thats all it was. Thanks again.

Thanks for the tip VA. My oil level is actually at the halfway point right now. I figured that was a safe place to be, but now that I think about it, I usually kept that level at the 3/4 mark or above and have never had that light come on before.
I will top it off and hopefully my problem will be solved.
Thanks again

BK

I'd check it now! Just because you have oil in the pan doesn't mean it's circulating in the system. If your pump has a problem and isn't getting the oil to all the places it's supposed to you're going to end up with some torn up bearing sufaces especially on the crank and cams

I had the same issue with my first oil change the oil level switch was sticky. I had it replaced under warranty. No issues afterward. Very scary when that oil light comes on, I thought I was going to soil my shorts. LOL.

Alright VA Rider. You were right
I filled the oil and left just a small air bubble at the top of the sight glass and went on a 150 mile ride and the light never came on, and everything looks good now.
Lesson learned. The high and low marks on the sight glass don't mean a thing.
Thanks again!! :tup:

Back