Olympic Athletes???

FSTZ1

I'm watching the olympics and they have women's curling on (like shuffle board). Can women curlers really be considered athletes? :cheers:

Let them hit ya with the stone and see if your attitude changes. I for one like watching it and my wife says I'll fit in the retirement home when it is time.....

I wonder the same thing about some so called sports. I'll give the curling ladies some credit though they put that big rock right where its needed to be.

Curling is about as athletic as hop scotch.

Here's the deal: everyone wants a chance at Olympic political gold, so they all want their 'sport' involved.

Way outta control, and at different levels. Another problem is that the athletes are basically pro in terms of full time commitment. Either rich or with full sponsorship is the only way, or young enough that mom/dad can jump on the ego band wagon for support, (any sport that leans toward extreme youth, like gymnastics for females).

What drives Olympics is the viewing numbers. same old same old. What drives the athletes is the gold medal pay off and enhanced status at home.

I'm watching the olympics and they have women's curling on (like shuffle board). Can women curlers really be considered athletes?

Not in my book. It's more of a game, like pitching pennies or shuffle board, than a sport. However, my research (5 minutes of Googling), reveals a sport need not be athletic (I disagree) for the IOC ( International Olympic Committee) to consider it a sport. It needs to have a ruling body, blah, blah, blah.....
I'd like to see Sled-dog racing as an Olympic sport. Those dogs and their Musher are more athletic, and interesting, than a Curler!:cowboy:

Last edited:
Back