OMG, I dropped my new FZ1!

troyw

Today I went to the dealer to have them check out why the clutch wasn't disengaging properly. Of course, it worked perfectly for them. Then to make matters worse, the tech was checking the chain slack and had it up on the center stand. After he left, I went to push it off the stand, and all of a sudden the bike is falling fast out of my hands the wrong way. BAM. Lands on its side on the pavement. Parts to repair total about $700. Haven't even had the bike a week, and only 300 miles on the clock. WTF? Is there anyone with worse annoying luck than me?
I found a good site that sells the OEM parts at decent prices, but anyone else have a good place they buy? I need the fairing, blinker, radiator cover, mirror, brake lever, one of the exhaust plates, a bar end. Can't replace the bottom of the fork that was scratched a bit. Maybe I can use a bit of flat black touch up there, as it is relatively minor. Still though, I can see it. What a drag. I am still in shock. Hopefully there is no frame or steering head damage.

- T.

Dude, you can't catch a break. No love for the FZ6 and now this....Fleabay for another possibility for some of the parts you seek.

Too bad it couldn't of been the tech who dropped the bike.....

BroHay

I guess you cold call it "Broken In" now. All kidding aside, you might want to hold off on any repairs until you get a good grip on how the bike handles. Those plastic pieces get expensive real fast. I keep a few cans of black spray paint around for minor touch-ups. One each of gloss, satin, and flat. Don't be hard on yourself, I've seen riders with more time in the saddle than me tip over in parking lots, gas staions, you name it. It doesn't take much to get that 400+ pounds off center and when it starts to fall it can be very hard to stop it in the middle of a high-sider. I almost dropped mine last January taking it down a ramp from the back of my truck when the ramp fell. I thought the bike was coming over on me but luckily I was on the low side and I was able to hold it up. Good luck with the parts.

It's true that I can't seem to catch a break lately. Bad time, I guess. Although I did get a nice job offer yesterday, so that was a positive. On the negative, I did drop $700 on the parts. I did it just because it's so new that I just want it new again like it should be. I want to erase that day as much as I can, and I did find a place online that had "decent" prices. I'll have to touch up the bottom of the front for a little bit, and I've got to do the same to the muffler where the protective shield gouged it. I have liability only insurance...just never needed anything else, until now...LOL!
Note to self: NEVER USE THE CENTER STAND IN PUBLIC.

I may also have to realize it may be absolutely necessary to lower the bike a bit. It is a bit high for me, and it might be harder to get on and off the center stand, but it's gotta be done.

So, is installing the front fairing really hard?

- T.

Last edited:
If you lower the bike, you essentially increase the load you would normally lift from the present stock position. I have a Gen I that started out lowered and when I was first trying to get the bike on the centerstand it was a pain. I raised the bike b/c of what others (different forum) suggested and given the set of circumstances at the time (which eludes me at the present moment). Anyway, after raising the link, I have to be careful b/c the bike goes up super easy now (but I've lost the ability to get the rear wheel completely off the ground (I will have to drop the forks about 8-10 mm to achieve that). However, given my present setup (lowered links with Suburban Machinery bars, it'll be tight and keep present settings for the suspension)

So in the above, lowering the bike will actually make it a bit more cumbersome to put the bike on the centerstand.

As for the fairing, I don't think it'll be anything more than some fastners (phillips/allen/torx). I have not removed a fairing on a Gen II, but I doubt they would re-invent the wheel. Remember, it is metric and not good old American Standard. (You probably got a manual and good customer service instead of "here is your keys now get outta here" and already knew that....hehe).

Unfortunate, but when you get the bike back in the condition you want, post some pics

BroHay

Last edited:
Hey BroHay,

Yeah, I'm aware of the pain lowering it will cause getting it on the center stand. But, I can't argue the physics of a 32 inch seat height and a 30 inch inseam. LOL! Even being pretty light for a big bike, I'm 5'6" and 130 lbs. It can get awkward real fast. It could have been part of the problem the other day, I don't know. It could be that a Corbin seat that has some shaved out and narrowed just a little would be okay. I really could just use an inch or so to get the balls of my feet firmly planted. I'd be okay with that.

Well, even though I raised my bike, I'm in need of shaving some of my seat to allow the other balls to get some breathing room from the tank. I just have to find the time to do it. It is fine for the daily commute but I plan on putting some miles on this summer and will have to address it soon.

BroHay

I have a stock pipe from my '07 with about 5000 miles. I'd be willing to sell for a reasonable price, let me know what it's worth to ya . I'm also thinking about removing my fairing w\ mirrors windscreen and lights. I gotta wait for my ole' lady to show me how to post pics. '07 fz1 cobalt blue, never been down.

I have had my bike fall over in a parking lot once... So embarrasing. That is a good point about using the center stand in your garage only! It would still suck, but at least there won't be anybody snickering at you! lol ;-)

I couldn't agree more, Big Kahuna. It was so embarrassing, to say the least. I was probably as red as the bike!
#two, I just need the protective shield, not the pipe itself. Thanks anyway though.
And the blue fairing wouldn't match the red.

Learn to paint, and the realm of endless possibilities are before ya.... Time consuming, but fun. You can pick up damage parts parts for dirt cheap. Repair them, hell even make it look like you got a new bike every few months.

Except for a damage tank that needs to be repaired by others, I've got a complete second set of bodywork (fairing/tank/rear cowl/grab bars) for about 200.00. Just got to get my homemade spray booth built (plastic hung from the ceiling of my garage) and the weather to warm up a bit more, and I'll 'try' to make sometihng happen (with my successes posted and the failures, well......)

BroHay

Tip (if not already mentioned) when taking the bike from the centrestand, climb on the bike and push it forward. That way you 'll have your both feet at either side...

Sorry to hear but don't be too hard on yourself, this can happen to anyone, even experienced and strong guys. Once it goes, especially falls away from you, 400pound is lot to hold, and you can risk physical injurie in trying to hold it...which could mean even worse backproblems which can refrain you from even further riding a bike...

Back