Oops, hall of shame here I come.

azoutside

Was wrestling with the rear wheel a couple days ago after swapping out sprockets (now running 16/47) and in my typical unskilled bull in china shop fashion somehow managed to knock the FZ off the stand, and down it went. I slowed the crash somewhat with my body but didn't prevent the bar from smacking the garage floor pretty good. There *might* have been some foul language that ensued but you can't prove it. Anyways, damage not too bad, couple very minor scatches on the fairing and a bent handlebar. I'm taking the "opportunity" to change up the bar setup a little, ordered some Rizoma short risers and 1 1/8" low rise bars, am looking forward to seeing if the angles are a little nicer on the wrists. Also ordered some squishier grips. Haven't quite decided on the new bar ends yet, am waiting to hear back from Kaoko to see if one of their throttle lock setups will work with the new bars. Otherwise I'll just get some Rizoma bar ends to match and call it a day.
Gotta make lemonade out of the lemons!

Man, if that's all it takes to be in the hall of shame, I've got more than a few entries! Two of my best (worst?) entries:

- Pulled into a corner convenience store lot on at a very "high traffic" time of day to check my air pressure. Had to wait a minute for someone else and, when they finished, I pulled up, started to hop off the bike, and realized I had yet to put the kickstand down. Naturally, I was off balance and the bike had already leaned well past the balance point. I proceeded to topple over with the bike, in slow motion. Nothing damaged but my ego as I wiggled out and righted the bike...

- Had removed my AIS system and, for some reason, thought I'd read that the "vent" hose at the top of the engine needed to be plugged. I decided to do that right before a track day. Several laps into the morning session, I see the corner workers waving a black flag as I ride passed. Our instructor had not covered what that particular flag meant (!!!) but I knew it was bad, so I wave to the workers to let them know I see them and moved to the inside of the track. Only upon pulling in, seeing a waft of oily smoke coming from MY bike, do I realize "Oh, sh!t, I'm the problem!" A brief reaming out by the organizer and I had to pack up and head home. Beyond embarrassing...

Sounds like we've all had our "moments"! In a previous life I may have gone splat a couple of times riding like a young punk moron on the street. I'm older and wiser now. Mostly. :)

Back