Opinions?? What age do you think is it ok to let your kid ride with you?

joker80

I was reading one of the posts ecruz put up about his 11yo rideing with him and I love the idea of my kids getting to ride with me. At what age do you think is the average kid ready to go for a ride? I have 2 boys 7 and almost 9 and I feel like they still need some time. I know all kids mature at different rates so what do yall think?

Last edited:
Like you said, you don't feel they are ready. I think every kid is different and the issue isn't age but readiness. I have a feeling you will know when the time is right.

I'd say 7 is about right if you know your kid is ready. Both parents should agree. After age 12 or 13 they're less likely to ride with you as the teenage years rear their ugly head.

My son started riding at 8 and my daughter at 5, they are now 16 and 13. Both out ride these old bones on the MX track. Son now on a KX 250 and daughter on a YZ 125. My son recently did a ride day at road circuit with me and listened, learned and practiced, by the end of the day was knee down and hauling the mail on my old 1990 gsxr750. Funny thing is neither of them show any interest riding on public roads but if they ever do at least they know how to handle a bike. Better in my opinion than a 30 year old with no experience who thinks he is a Valentino.

My oldest started riding with me at 8 and from the start there was no goofen off even though it was just arround the park, hes now 11. My 7year old wanted to ride this year for the first time and after we went to the end of the block he was done.
I only put them on after they asked me and used baby steps and now my oldest makes a bee line to the bike after hearing it start up.
I hope teen years don't change things, I like having a little riding buddy from time to time.

I'd say 7 is about right if you know your kid is ready. Both parents should agree. After age 12 or 13 they're less likely to ride with you as the teenage years rear their ugly head.

I really want my 9 yo to ride but i dont know if it is that i think he's not ready or if it is just my fear of letting him on the first time. He has been on a ATV a few times in some very rough areas. I have put him to the test on the ATV and he was rock solid the whole time and loved it. I know a ATV is far from a motorcycle but the idea of him holding on without seeming like he might fall off is what I was getting at.
Norm as for both parents agreeing that is all but impossible with my x-wife so she will just have to be pissed LOL (I wish that was not the case). I know if I wait to long and they get to the stage of rideing with DAD is not cool I will regret it.

Gear them up and let him ride dirt bikes. Best way to learn and build riding skills is on a dirt bike. It's also a great way to teach them how to wrench and take care of something.

I really want my 9 yo to ride but i dont know if it is that i think he's not ready or if it is just my fear of letting him on the first time. He has been on a ATV a few times in some very rough areas. I have put him to the test on the ATV and he was rock solid the whole time and loved it. I know a ATV is far from a motorcycle but the idea of him holding on without seeming like he might fall off is what I was getting at.
Norm as for both parents agreeing that is all but impossible with my x-wife so she will just have to be pissed LOL (I wish that was not the case). I know if I wait to long and they get to the stage of rideing with DAD is not cool I will regret it.

I hear you. I guess in retrospect I did a lot of stuff with the kids I didn't run by my wife. I guess because me and the kids knew it would be a "no." Do what's in your heart. There's virtually no one on this particular forum that seems to have really bad judgement. All good souls basically.

Oh, and Adam, from what you've written it sounds like your your son will hold on fine. It's pretty instinctive, even at a very young age, to hold on tight in any situation that threatens your stability. I've ridden kids as young as five with their parents approval (they actually asked me to take them for a little ride).

I've been riding with my kid since he was 4....he's 6 in june.
I bought a used hack (sidecar) that was sitting in someones backyard for 5 years all weather beaten up when he was 3 and worked on it all summer. Threw a XJ550 on it (needs a 750+ to really run good) and use it to pick him up from school at leeast once a week...he loves it, and all the attention and thumbs we get while cruzin around.

I avoid traffic, when I can by taking back roads, and sometimes go for a sunday ride when my group takes a week-end off.
It does 55 on a good day with both of us.

Not too keen on having him on the back of my bike, but it will eventually happen I guess.
You'll know when your kids are ready.......when they ask........

Last edited:

My daughter started riding with me at about 7 but the bike was a KZ650 (standard with a good passenger seat). If the child knows how to ride as a passenger and you know how to keep it cool, I suppose it's up to the parents to decide and that means both of you because if there is an accident and you don't have dual aproval, that will be a very bad situation. All that said, I'm an old fart and the pilion on the FZ1 is a piss-poor place to put a young child.

My daughter showed a great interest in riding with me from a real early age. My wife left the main decision up to me. My rule for kiddo was that she had to be able to reach the rear pegs without being tippy-toe. She's got my genetics in the height dept. She was tall enought before she was 4. Mom kinda put the brakes on the affair and said 4th bday. That happens in late Sept, so the season is getting close to an end then. Mom also had lots of rules about how far and where I could take her. It was strictly very low traffic rural roads for the first couple of years. Lot's of warnings about hanging on and not waving to anyone no matter what(little girl has always been real friendly). Now she's almost 13 and has stated loudly and often that the only cool thing about dad is his bike. Ouch. She forgets that she likes to hunt too, and the guns all belong to me.

Anyway, I think the decision is a personal one, best left to each set of parents, or parent for those of you doing the single thing. Everyone has to be in agreement, and the rules have to be set and kept. Full gear for the kiddo is a must in our house. My daughter will even point out others that let their kids ride with substandard gear. "Dad look, that guy is letting his daughter ride with flip-flops on. That's stupid huh?"

If they're interested, get em hooked on the right way to do it. All the other stuff will fall into place.

BTW I do agree with Lonerider I wouldn't put a newbie on the back of an FZ. The pillion takes a little more getting used to. My kiddo started out on the back of a CB1000, much wider,flatter, and no slope.

Last edited:
I have an 11 year old son and 9 year old daughter (birthday's Aug and Sept) I've taken my kids for a few rides. First it was just around the block, but we've moved up a bit in the last year. My wife has an armored jacket she doesn't wear anymore that fits both kids and I bought them both helmets. My son fit an adult medium and I picked up the HJC CL-16 yellow Hellion (Snell 2010) for just over $100. I've picked up a gold mirrored shield and a chin curtain for it too (it came with a clear pin lock, fully removable liner and quick release shield)
95110_H_SW215_MH250.jpg

The adult S/XS was still too big for my daughter, so I got her an HJC CS-Y L/XL (youth helmet) pink Hellion for a bit less than $100. It's not Snell approved, but it fits, and that's what important.
1968-1-md.jpg

They both have a pair of gloves and wear good shoes, but not bike boots or armored pants. I now have the Corbin rear seat and am looking for the back rest. I'll feel much better when I get the back rest as I'm too big for them to reach all the way around me. I usually unzip my jacket pockets and let them hold on there. I avoid traffic and don't pass 4-5k on the tach. They both like leaning, so I've got some twisty fans here :) :tup:

That looks great! In my opinion I wouldn't put a kid on a bike, but a side car seems like a good compromise.

I've been riding with my kid since he was 4....he's 6 in june.
I bought a used hack (sidecar) that was sitting in someones backyard for 5 years all weather beaten up when he was 3 and worked on it all summer. Threw a XJ550 on it (needs a 750+ to really run good) and use it to pick him up from school at leeast once a week...he loves it, and all the attention and thumbs we get while cruzin around.

I avoid traffic, when I can by taking back roads, and sometimes go for a sunday ride when my group takes a week-end off.
It does 55 on a good day with both of us.

Not too keen on having him on the back of my bike, but it will eventually happen I guess.
You'll know when your kids are ready.......when they ask........

Back