Painting

MHS

I want to paint my passenger footpeg assembly black. I'm sure I'm not the first to do this, but my search didn't yield what I wanted.

I read somewhere (my memory is terrible, I can't remember if it was on here or on the FZ6 forum) about using the Rustoleum Engine Enamel to paint them, and while looking around Lowes for that I stumbled into the Rustoleum Truck Bed Coating.

It seems like the bed coating would work better, specifically mentions designed to be scratch resistant, and I imagine would improve grip.

Has anyone had experience with either of those two products, or what have you used to paint the silver parts black?

(I couldn't get the links to point to the matte black colors, but those are what I'd use)

I have had experience with the "cheaper" DIY bed liner. I was not impressed. I had to put numerous coats on and I was not pleased with the durability. I'm NOT saying it won't work. What I'm saying is don't use the cheap stuff. It stinks.

So it was on here that I read about the engine enamel.

I completely agree powder coating is the best option, but I'm looking for cheaper options at the moment.

Go to Harbor Frieght or Northern Tool pick up a DIY powder coating system and use your home oven to cook it, pretty easy stuff when you get down too it.

Autozone has some pretty good brush-on bed liner that is good stuff IF you prep the area well and it usually takes a couple or maybe even three coats to put it down well. It's not exactly cheap either. I haven't used the Rustoleum product but more than likely as already said, if the prep work is good, the final product will be as good.

I used high temp black from Lowes to paint my passengers pegs and exhaust end cap. Did it back in May and they still are holding up fine.

SDC13122.jpg

I just re-sprayed a couple of black crash bars and the centerstand on my KTM with a product called EZ Liner. Spray on truck bedliner. It has a very slight texture that matched the parts perfectly and covered the scratches. How durable it will be remains to be seen. For $10 I have enought to re-spray many times should I need. I agree that powder coating is the best option, but for a fast, inexpensive option, the Bed liner will work.

4a04d54e-1a64-9a00.jpg
4a04d54e-1a13-426b.jpg
So it was on here that I read about the engine enamel.

I completely agree powder coating is the best option, but I'm looking for cheaper options at the moment.

Yep, that was me. I was also planning on powder coating random parts. After a suggestion from a friend I tried the engine enamel, and I am thoroughly impressed so far.
If you do this just make sure you clean the piece real well and use rubbing alcohol. I used 2-3 coats on each piece. Good luck.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using Tapatalk.

Last edited:
Back