Personal review Michelin Power Pure

CRO_FZ1

Evening fellow fazers,

I wanted to open a new thread to share my thoughts about the new tires I have on my Gen II, the tires are MICHELIN POWER PURE.

So where to start.....

1.The tires warm up very easily, you need a couple of minutes to have an excellent grip, even better than the Dunlop 221/G, which came originally with the bike.

2. When driving through fast chicanes the bike changes directions just as you want, without any hard work, you have the feeling that the bike is from another planet.

3. The tire consumption is great, especially for those who ride with their wife's, girlfriends, husbands and boyfriends, because the middle of the tire is hard, while moving towards the edges is very soft giving you a great grip along with durability.
This is a great feature especially while driving in pair through the summer when the temperatures of the asphalt reach 50 - 60 degrees Celsius.

Last summer in 7 days that i rode with my girlfriend I managed to consume completely the middle of the rear tire which was frustrating giving that we made only 1500km approx 1200 miles.

I don't know yet what is the durability of the tire, but for the moment after having done 2000Km roughly around 1600 Miles the tire looks like new.

So to sum up the pros:

- Reaches temperature easly
- Excellent grip
- It's lighter 1kg from the competitors (Metzeler, Dunlop, Bridgestone)
- Excellent feeling with the bike

The cons:

- don't have any for the moment.

My final though is that the Power Pure is a great all around tire, independently if you use the bike for touring, street, in the summer, winter or combined. It gives the rider an excellent feedback how hard can you run expands the drivers limits when leaning in hard corners.

Hope that this couple of personal thoughts come in handy to someone when changing tires.

Nope, haven't try them in wet weather, and probably won't cause I don't ride my FZ in bad weather, I would feel sorry for It, getting dirty and all......:D

Great review, thanks for that!

My only concern is that you say you never ride your FZ1 in bad weather (which is just fine!), but you make this statement at the end:

My final though is that the Power Pure is a great all around tire, independently if you use the bike for touring, street, in the summer, winter or combined.

I'd love to try the Power Pure after having read what you had to say! Thanks!

I found them to be OK in the wet when new, but once the sharp edges are rounded off the treads they aren't very good (like any of the stickier tyres). On cold roads I found they were reluctant to get up to temp, and had to run them at a low pressure to get them to play.

I found that they don't squirm at all on cold roads before they let go and the hook up after letting go is not smooth. (5 times these tyres tried to high side me, and yes I do push them hard but I do that with all my tyres). I actually had a witness behind me on one of these occasions, who was amazed that they let go in the very casual circumstances they did, and even more amazed that I stayed on (the rear stepped out instantly around 3 feet then hooked up again just as instantly). I'd been riding on them for around 50km of twisties at this point so they should have been nice and warm.

I got similar mileage from them as I get from a BT016 (around 5000-6000km), and I was actually glad to be rid of them even though I'd been very excited to finally get to try them:confused0024:.

I never had a single issue with the front because on the road I don't go into a turn anywhere near as hard as I come out (for obvious reasons) so I can't really assess how the front is when pushed, but they do tend to tramline a fair bit if your local roads have those long patches in them.

Our roads are tight, bumpy, have mixed surfaces, and lots of debris and tar snakes, and I like to go pretty hard, and found these tyres were not up to it.

All this from a guy who was a bit of a Michellin fan and used to put nothing but Pilot Powers on his FZ6 in summer, and Pilot Roads in winter (they all had trouble warming up on really cold roads though).

i agree with ozzieboy, i have used these tyres on my old busa and they just didn't seem right. on the track loved it, but general cold or wet riding didn't like to retain heat and wasn't predictable in how they grip or slip. IMO there are better tyres for the same $. I guess it depends on your riding style and where you ride.

Great review, thanks for that!

My only concern is that you say you never ride your FZ1 in bad weather (which is just fine!), but you make this statement at the end:

I'd love to try the Power Pure after having read what you had to say! Thanks!

Sorry for that it was on my mind to write down even that, but in the heat of the moment I forgot. :banghead:

Just wanted to add this to the theme, I tried the tires with the outside temperature from +5 Celsius to +25 up to now, since in Croatia, especially in Rijeka when the wind start's to blow in winter the temperatures fall to -10 Celsius and let me tell you it's cold as hell, you can't even walk on the streets, so you don't see any bike around, and you can have even race tires on your bike, but they won't reach their working temperature if you ride for hours, simply because the asphalt is cold and no matter what you do or no matter how hard you drive the won't reach the optimal temperature.

On the other hand when the temperature outside was around 12 - 15 Celsius I found the warmed up after 5 minutes of riding, and I had no problems with the grip.

So my point that is a matter of fact that you cannot drive the same way all year around no matter what tires you have, and no matter how good your driving skills are, maybe on the track yes, but on the streets NO WAY, you put yourself in danger as well as others.

Michelin Power Pure

The Michelin Power Pure is a lightweight tire. It has a very soft carcass. Therefore it will work great on lighter bikes and drivers. So if you drive a 600cc and you weight 70kilo's, they're the perfect tire. For a Busa and a 100kg driver, you better look for other tires. A 1000cc with light driver will work.

The tire is very good in the rain. Because of the lightweight construction the bike will feel very nimble and easy to steer.

The FZ1 is heavy on the rear, because of weight and driving position. It is best of with a tire that gives a bit more stability. M5's or BT016PRO or Diablo Rosso II will work perfect.

Michelin has introduces the Micelin Power Pure "D" as a successor of the Power Pure, which should be better. Never tried these, though, so I can't comment on this. Appearently it's good.

Back