Phillip Island MotoGP 2011

Bluey

The Australian 2011 Phillip Island MotoGP draws closer, the excitement mounts. Yes I'm going back for more. I've booked into the MotoHeaven tent for another weekend of glamour, thrills and spills. Did I mention the open bar?? Can Casey make it 5 in a row? I can't wait.

Is anyone else going?

My mate decides to go and get married on the 16th October so I won't be going this year :(
Here's hoping Casey wraps it up in front of his home crowd.
Go you good thing!!

Yep, I'm going. It's been a while between trips to the island for me so I'm absolutely frothing!
I think it'll be a big one this year with Stoner leading the championship 'n' all.
Can't friggin' wait!

You guys have fun!!!
We have to wait another 1 1/2 years for the GP to come to Texas :cheers:
LOL
I tried to buy tickets already but they are not on sale yet ;)

Last edited:
The Steel Stallions are ready to go. I leave tomorrow and will be off the internet until I return so here's to a great weekend and GO CASEY!!!

attachment.php

PS FZ1S I have sent you a PM if you want to catch up at the track

I was at Laguna Seca this year, standing between turns 1 & 2 and 4 guys showed up w/Stoner shirts/hats/flag/etc . . . Aussies! I walked up to them and said, 'I take it your Stoner fans?' They tentatively said, 'Yeah . . . of course.' I extended my hand and said, 'So am I!"

The ONLY person that's gonna keep Stoner from going 5 straight is . . . himself! He's an 'alien amoung aliens'!

GO STONER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a great weekend!!

I'm back and have had a great time. The weather was fantastic if maybe a little cool on the return journey. The first day took us through the beautiful NSW Snowy Mountains for an overnight at Corryong just across the Vic border. The next day we slipped up to the Murray River Hwy for a run over Granya Gap (one of my favourite roads). One the run into Granya the back end was feeling a little "squirmy". We hit the twisties and something was definitely wrong. Yep flat tyre. We put in a plug and got under way. Here's my own personal tyre inflater at work. I knew all those school fees would pay off.

attachment.php

The plug held but I wasn't overly confident with it, also nephew Alex had a worn tyre that was not going to last the whole trip. So with the wonders of modern technology we were able to organise a couple of tyres to be avaiable for us at Bairnsdale some 300km away. Back on the road and over the Victoria Alps. Here's us at Mt Hotham. Yes the white stuff is snow.

attachment.php

At Bairnsdale the tyre was the removed at the damage revealed.

attachment.php

OK I had to ream the hole for the plug but that tyre is cactus (only 700km old :cry:). No mucking around and a new Pilot Power 2CT is installed.

attachment.php

We made it to Phillip Island on Friday just in time for lunch at MotoHeaven (and the unlimited beer, wine, spirits etc) awsome :icon_beer:. Before the big race I made a point of going to the Yamaha pits and discussing tactics with the pit crew. I had to tell them that the talent onslaught that is CASEY STONER meant they weren't looking good.

attachment.php

OK they actually look great, I meant their chances of winning weren't too flash. And what do you know Lorenzo and Ben Spies are non starters because of practice injuries, bummer.

I also spent a little time guarding the car that would take Casey on the pre race parade.

attachment.php

PS thanks for the Forum jacket Oldschool, it's the best!!

Then the big race. We all know the result. CASEY 5th PI GP win, wraps up the world championship and its his birthday. Awesome!! EF-ZED-WUN-ESS was there too but I only got his PM just before the race and I didn't want to leave my seat. So I didn't get to say giday but mate I know you would have had an awesome time too. Maybe next time. Here's the view from my seat. You can see the showers to the south that threatened to change the game plan during the race.

attachment.php

The ride home was great too. Reefton Spur, Mansfield to Whitfield etc yahoo. But more police presence, in fact on three seperate occasions an unmarked car pulled in behind and tailed us for a while. No matter we were taking it pretty easy so no unwanted tickets to the police ball. So 2,700km all up and back home to my warm bed.

attachment.php

What will next year hold??

Last edited:
Wow! I'm really jealous. Looks like you guys had a great time.

Reminds me of a trip I took in '95 to watch the F1 race in Montreal, Canada (Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve). It was an awesome trip and the "best" motorsport race I have ever watched. Those F1 cars were amazing to say the least :D

Nice pictures, need more girls - we love girls at the race track!

Snow in Australia? Good photoshop job.

Did Casey win something??

Phillip Island must be a blast! Thanks for the Pictures.

Excellent ride report Bluey.
I'm pissed that I missed going this year, we had planned to go but things got changed last minute.
The Snowys ride is awesome, sounds like you had a great time.
Go Casey!!

Back