Piss week clutch springs !!

jesjames9598

Went for a ride this morning with the local guys, about 50 bikes. On the way noticed clutch slipping, on the gas hit 8000 rpm or so and the tach would fly but no more forward motion. Then you could feel it taking up. After the ride we pulled the clutch down and my steels are burnt toast ! I have only seen one clutch with this much discoloration and that was in my bandit. Cause is to soft a clutch spring that allows a little slip all the time when on it, not so much that it is noticeable, then when you can feel it the damage has been done. This tells me anyone who gives their FZ1 a hard time like me should put aftermarket springs in BEFORE it stuffs the plates. Soft springs give a light pull but no good for the clutch.
It was a great morning though, beer and pies for breakfast at the Silverton Hotel, SILVERTON NSW - The Silverton Hotel All kind of bikes and all kind of people. Will take the camera next time.
Cheers

How many miles? What exactly do you mean by hard use? Did you maintain enough freeplay at the lever?

I am curious because it doesn't seem to be a very common issue even among those of us with the full package.

I have 6000km on the bike, from when I bought it had, 15000km when purchased. The bike was stripped down and inspected when purchased shims, clutch, suspension, Fuel system etc, I work part time in bike repair business and this is something we like to do with any second hand bike. Clutch showed no signs of wear or heat. Type off use is riding it like I stole it ! The odd street drag, using the clutch lever to stop comp lock coming hot into corners, plenty of mono's. Would love a STM slipper but not enough $$ at the moment. Stronger springs would of negated most of this damage. As for not hearing about it neither had I but a quick search finds quite a few guys with the same problem on FZ1/R1. For the low cost of some EBC springs and a gasket to stop problems occurring seems to be cheap preventative maintenance. If however you ride with a bit more civility than me then doing the above will probably mean you never have to touch the clutch. I fully expected to have to replace the clutch at some point but I and two mechanics agree that a lot of this damage is preventable. And yes the clutch was adjusted correctly.

Last edited:
As for not hearing about it, neither had I but a quick search finds quite a few guys with the same problem on FZ1/R1. For the low cost of some EBC springs and a gasket to stop problems occurring seems to be cheap preventative maintenance. If however you ride with a bit more civility than me then doing the above will probably mean you never have to touch the clutch.

2009 FZ1 with 14k, I'm beginning to feel a slight slip when I'm hard into 2nd gear.

Anybody have advice on which springs? I've ran Barnetts in the past but wondering if EBC might be better/stiffer. Whichever is stiffer would be fine by me.

I have stock plates with ebc springs that are 10percent heaver than the stock springs. so far so good but i only have a few hundred miles and maybe 10 passes at the track. i think my stock clutch lasted around 13,000 and some where around 120 passes.

If you drag race with EBC springs, then they should be good enough for my use:D. I just hope my clutch is still good enough to just add the heavy springs.

If you drag race with EBC springs, then they should be good enough for my use:D. I just hope my clutch is still good enough to just add the heavy springs.

I'm thinking you would be better off replacing the clutch fiber plates as well since you'll be opening it up. If they haven't slipped too bad the steel plates should still be fine.

New fibers and heavier springs would be the better and safer idea. Why do the job twice???

When i got my clutch around a year ago and it was $204 and some change with the ebc springs. befor i got it i tryed scotchbrighting the steel plates and puting in new friction plates it did not last long at all and it was slipping again.

It was a great morning though, beer and pies for breakfast at the Silverton Hotel, SILVERTON NSW - The Silverton Hotel All kind of bikes and all kind of people. Will take the camera next time.
Cheers

Aussie Bahstuds!

I thought I was reading a thread from Austin, Texas until I got to the part about the "pies"!

Well, gloat over it in your superiority but..............Allan Johncock, (Adelaide, SA) at the Texas Motorcycle Museum (Vanderpool, TX) offers genuine Aussie pies as good as anything I ever had from Cowleys's Pie Cart (Victoria Square, Adelaide). This is the real thing and it's "deep in the heart of Texas".

Fair dinkum?

Cheers!

Cheers

Aussie Bahstuds!

I thought I was reading a thread from Austin, Texas until I got to the part about the "pies"!

Well, gloat over it in your superiority but..............Allan Johncock, (Adelaide, SA) at the Lone Star Motorcycle Museum (Vanderpool, TX) offers genuine Aussie pies as good as anything I ever had from Cowleys's Pie Cart (Victoria Square, Adelaide). This is the real thing and it's "deep in the heart of Texas".

Fair dinkum?

If Texas ain't like Oz and Oz ain't like Texas, the earth is flat. And, yes, I did see a kangaroo not long ago while riding past an exotic ranch. It weren't no walllabee either.

Cheers!

Next time you visit us come hungry and eat at the ACE CAFE located in the Museum. Try one of our famous Aussie Meat Pies.

Lone Star Motorcycle Museum

Last edited:
Back