PLUG Recommendation

Is there any benefit to buying a special spark plug or get the factory for my FZ? I have just realized that I went over my plug(2nd) and coolant replacement by 700 miles and am getting them both done tomorrow. Just wanted to know if there's any high speed (iridium) or any other bada$$ plugs I should get. This will be my second plug change, the first was done with factory replacement.

I'd stick with factory IMO. I'm cheap and don't like paying 10 bucks a plug for the "high performance" plugs. I had an auto teacher that reminded us that you can put in those plugs but you have to remember they won't do much if the rest of your ignition system isn't designed to run them.

Copper is still the best conductor (not to mention a LOT cheaper) so stick with the stock NGKs . The platinum and iridium plugs were mostly developed to help auto manufacturers remain emissions compliant for 100k miles. Case in point...I have 92k miles on my '06 Honda Accord and it still has the original iridium spark plugs in it. Runs as good as the day I bought it. I'll be curious to see what they look like when I replace them at 100k miles.

Copper is still the best conductor (not to mention a LOT cheaper) so stick with the stock NGKs . The platinum and iridium plugs were mostly developed to help auto manufacturers remain emissions compliant for 100k miles. Case in point...I have 92k miles on my '06 Honda Accord and it still has the original iridium spark plugs in it. Runs as good as the day I bought it. I'll be curious to see what they look like when I replace them at 100k miles.

It still amazes me that cars have plugs that go that kind of distance. I still do an annual tune-up once a year on my car where I change plugs, cap, rotor, wires, filters, etc. Last year just before Deal's Gap I went with a Mallory H.O. coil, Mallory cap and rotor, and Accel 8.5mm Wires. I don't think I'll be tossing them next time around.

Oh man i love those cars. So putting some seriouse power down?

I don't think so unfortunately. The previous owner was, I swear, an 80 something year old woman, who bought the car new in 86. At that time she opted for the "Econo" package which entailed throwing in 2.62 gears in the rear end to save gas. That, combined with the "smog" edition motor, my 5.0 pumps out an impressive 105hp! So now you match 105hp with 2.62 gearing gets you something that a world class sprinter could probably beat from stoplight to stoplight. Here's a shot of it at the AMA Races back on the 2nd.

IMG_1810.jpg

Because of the restrictive nature of the cylinder heads that came on this motor, there is nothing you can bolt on in terms of "high performance" that would give you any significant gains in power. You basically have to pull the engine and drop in a crate motor as well as a beefier rear end and tranny. That costs mucho dinero so I guess I'll just keep driving my "tortoise" around and be happy with it. It's a cool car and I am trying to keep it as long as I can.

Hey had a guy in highschool that had the exact same color. The gearing is pretty unfourtunate and you are right about that 5.0 its pretty wimpy. The first motor I ever built was for a pickup where we dropped a 350 in place of 305. We did it for less then a grand but found big valve heads at a junk yard that where freshly went through so that was pretty luck. 290hp at the rear wheels when we where done. :poke:

Hey had a guy in highschool that had the exact same color. The gearing is pretty unfourtunate and you are right about that 5.0 its pretty wimpy. The first motor I ever built was for a pickup where we dropped a 350 in place of 305. We did it for less then a grand but found big valve heads at a junk yard that where freshly went through so that was pretty luck. 290hp at the rear wheels when we where done. :poke:

Yep, a 350 would be an ideal fit in the Olds. If my son had his way it would already be in there. The problem is that the 200 Tranny and the rear end would all have to be replaced as well. Sometimes he doesn't understand that. If the car lasts as long as I hope it will, and he takes ownership of it, I'm sure he'll drop some money into it. But he is still in high school and without a job, so for now she'll have to "putt" around with her puny 307.

Last edited:
Good call on the tranny I forget that not everything had the TH350 in it. Sounds like you guys might have a good project down the road. If it ever happens I hope there is a build thread in here :D. Oh and on the longevity of it i wouldn't worry to much till you are burning alot of oil I've found more then a few broken rings in those 80's 305s. The emission heads have weak valve seat also so the valve starts sinking into the head, its kinda an odd sight when you pull the heads for the first time.

Last edited:
Good call on the tranny I forget that not everything had the TH350 in it. Sounds like you guys might have a good project down the road. If it ever happens I hope there is a build thread in here :D. Oh and on the longevity of it i wouldn't worry to much till you are burning alot of oil I've found more then a few broken rings in those 80's 305s. The emission heads have weak valve seat also so the valve starts sinking into the head, its kinda an odd sight when you pull the heads for the first time.

Oh yeah, I took care of that issue 3 years back. I spun a bearing in the motor and had her rebuilt and bored .030 over, heads redone, and re-installed. I have now about 31,000 miles on it so it should last a while longer. Just before the Deal's Gap trip I had the tranny rebuilt and had him install a tranny cooler and B&M Shift Kit as well. While it took me and Tony (NJFZ1) about 15 hours and 13 tanks of gas, she hauled me, him, our luggage, a 5'x9' trailer, and both of our bikes, down to the Gap and back with no issues. We had averaged a whopping 10mpg and a top speed of about 70 on level roads and 55/60 on the hills. Coming home, when Tony figured out the right touch to the pedal, we were able to activate the "kickdown", and then he really had us moving! The kickdown cable had to be adjusted a bit since the tranny was done which I did when we got back home.

Yep, a 350 would be an ideal fit in the Olds. If my son had his way it would already be in there. The problem is that the 200 Tranny and the rear end would all have to be replaced as well. Sometimes he doesn't understand that. If the car lasts as long as I hope it will, and he takes ownership of it, I'm sure he'll drop some money into it. But he is still in high school and without a job, so for now she'll have to "putt" around with her puny 305.

Car has an Olds engine, not a Chevy so that 5.0L is actually a 307...just saying ;)

Man I miss doing trips like that. Did a few of them hauling cars with a buddy, might take forever to get to destination but hey thats half of the fun right. ROAD TRIP!!!! Man I got to start remembering specs on cars used to be able to rattle them off without any problems.

Man I miss doing trips like that. Did a few of them hauling cars with a buddy, might take forever to get to destination but hey thats half of the fun right. ROAD TRIP!!!! Man I got to start remembering specs on cars used to be able to rattle them off without any problems.

You must be a young whippersnapper Ernie. I hated that ride down to the Gap! Thank God that Tony was there with me because he drove most of the way with me sleeping!

Back