Plug replacement without removing everything?

If I recall correctly I had to pull my radiator off to get my plugs changed last time I did it.

It is time again and I am considering just having the shop do it cause I recall it being a pain..... am I remembering this correctly?

I just did the plugs on my V-Star and it was a 10 min job.....

you don't have to remove the radiator. It is a little tough to pull the leads off, but just get the right combination of spark plug socket, extension and ratchet and it is a 30 minute job. Use a piece of 3/8" fuel hose instead of the socket and ratchet to unscrew and screw the plugs (other than initial loosening and final tightening). I have had my plugs in and out a few time lately as I'm watching their colour on account of trying to figure out my fuelling

yeah, I found the Spark Plug tool that comes with the bikes tool kit. I had to use that since a regular plug socket is too thick to fit down the hole.

The plugs on the Gen I can be pulled from under the tank. Use the plug wrench from the tool kit, and then you can fish socket extensions and knuckles down from above to pull all the plugs. As I remember, I think the #1 plug is accessible from the side. It's been awhile since I've done it, but with the right tools, it's pretty easy. I went to Gen II in 2012, but that's the way I remember it.

Back