Police Helmet Standards Blitz

O

Old Mate

I got pulled over yesterday in the Yarra Ranges , by a cop road block pulling over all bikes , had all the normal checks , and I had to take my helmet off and get it inspected inside and out to make sure it had all the Aust standard stickers.

Really fnn wierd as I was sure I was gone for exhaust noise , with my yoshi , but I was told its a nation wide blitz on cheap imported helmets , with no Aust standards stickers, will be running all year oz wide . with heavy fines over $1000 .

Sounds silly to me but they where very serious , and I was happy to get away unscathed for noise , even though my lids a 14 year old Arai.

Dont say I didnt warn you :tup:

Yeah Dustin,

But I live in Australia , the nanny state , in a nanny country , is bullshit what goes on here.

Big Brother alive and well down here mate , all the do gooders have ruined this once free land.

Glad mines legal. They had blitz in the Hunter area a couple of months ago on Harleys for illegal exhausts. As you can imagine not many stopped got through.

Yeah Blanchy,

They will go you for anything thesedays , I was speaking to the copper and he said that they have to check every helmet from now on of any rider they pull over , for any reason , a case of cash grabbing if you ask me.

Sometimes I think people need to be regulated because they're too stupid for their own good. I'm not a big fan of all that nannying but when people are draining the healthcare system because of novelty helmets or running around polluting the air with absurd exhausts, I don't mind a little regulation. A little :)

But the question is how much is too much I guess

Sometimes I think people need to be regulated because they're too stupid for their own good. I'm not a big fan of all that nannying but when people are draining the healthcare system because of novelty helmets or running around polluting the air with absurd exhausts, I don't mind a little regulation. A little :)

Well Dustin,

Id have to say it has nothing to do with novelty helmets, it has to do with , us australians being able to buy a high quality helmet overseas for half the cost of what it costs us here to buy . So many people do , I dont blame them , is just the same thing as you buy here , just minus a AS sticker , and the cops are onto it , its a closed market and a easy money grab for them , nothing less.

As for polluting the air with absurd exhausts . Have another pipe and relax mate. :tup:

For some reason US and European helmets are ok for you guys but if we try to use them these idiots try to crack down on us.

The helmets are all the bloody same so what is the issue?

It's like Old mate says, it's an easy money grab for them.

Yes ive actually read that article before ,

I know it makes sense , so do you and every one else.

Well Dustin, sorry mate but I'll disagree with you this.....I think the morons should be allowed to die. Then, as per the law of the jungle (albeit a concrete one now!) only the strong and smart will survive. By protecting the morons they breed more morons who then become politicians and/or "do gooders". I wish it were that simple.....

As far as the blitz on helmets is concerned, I think you'll find its the governments (helped by the morons in the Road Safety Council) who have mandated that the police conduct the blitz because they realise they can make some $$$. The cops are just doing a thankless job....

For some reason US and European helmets are ok for you guys but if we try to use them these idiots try to crack down on us.

I think the issue is a few international students bought some cheap made in China plastic buckets and promptly went and died when they head butted the pavement so now we have to pay for there stupidity. If you ask me anyone who skimps out on a helmet and then dies did us all a favor by removing themselves from the gene pool. Personal safety is the responsibility of the individual but in our country the state is so bored they feel the need to step in. It wont be too long before they have an Australian standard for leathers, boots and gloves :doh2:

This is the whole thing!!!
Same way the cops have cracked down on us for seatbelts. NO ONE cares about our safety. They want the almost $200 US each time they pop someone for not wearing a seatbelt.
It's all revenue grabbing~~~Plain and simple.

Last edited:
Same way the cops have cracked down on us for seatbelts. NO ONE cares about our safety. They want the almost $200 US each time they pop someone for not wearing a seatbelt.
It's all revenue grabbing~~~Plain and simple.

Thank the Australians!

Victoria became the first state in the world to make seat belts (in the front seats) compulsory in 1970. NSW followed the year after.

After seat belts became mandatory, a 50 per cent overall reduction was reported in the number of drivers per 100 vehicles being admitted to hospital.

When New York state made seatbelts mandatory in 1985, there was a significant reduction in injuries and deaths along the same lines. Once other states in the US followed suit, the reductions were even better than that of Australia I believe.

Seems like a worthwhile cash grab to me. Taking money from ignorant, selfish people and preventing many, many injuries and deaths that will put stress on our infrastructure and make much more cost to the general public's coffers.

If they remove these 'cash grabs', you will still end up paying. Civilized society isn't about the 'law of the jungle' and we will support the people with medical and social services.

If your neighbor decides to wear a novelty helmet or drinks and drives or decides not to wear his seatbelt, society will pay for his ignorance. You will pay for his ignorance.

This is a bit off topic now and I still think this helmet crackdown in Australia is absurd if they won't even recognise SNELL or ECE standards.

Last edited:
The US helmet standard has been put to the test and actually shown to actually cause head injury from being too firm on lower energy impacts (or smaller heads).

The european standard is supposedly best so far, I'm not sure how it compares in AUS... but the standards are different, and not all are equal.

I got pulled over yesterday in the Yarra Ranges , by a cop road block pulling over all bikes , had all the normal checks , and I had to take my helmet off and get it inspected inside and out to make sure it had all the Aust standard stickers.

Really fnn wierd as I was sure I was gone for exhaust noise , with my yoshi , but I was told its a nation wide blitz on cheap imported helmets , with no Aust standards stickers, will be running all year oz wide . with heavy fines over $1000 .

Sounds silly to me but they where very serious , and I was happy to get away unscathed for noise , even though my lids a 14 year old Arai.

Dont say I didnt warn you :tup:

I was reading about a guy on the Adventure Rider site (Australian section) who had found a Shoei "Hornet" online for 1/2 of what he could buy it for locally. He was asking about the AU sticker not being there and was told take your chances. If one individual can get a single helmet imported for such a considerable savings over buying local, then the local dealers that buy in mass quantities (they must get them cheaper than Joe average) are just being greedy. I am aware that there is a cost involved with government certification costs on product in order to be given that AU certification, Canada does the same thing.

It still comes down to cash, (but it is the government that is after it) Just another tax and a form of protectionism from my stand point.

If Australia had a vibrant helmet manufacturing sector that was being hurt by cheap imports I could almost see it. If it is just a money hungry Government looking to plug holes in there revenue pipeline, than at least be honest about it. Sorry "honest" and "Government" in the same sentence (twice)! I'll go check my temperature, I think I'm coming down with something.:disapproval:

The US helmet standard has been put to the test and actually shown to actually cause head injury from being too firm on lower energy impacts (or smaller heads).

The european standard is supposedly best so far, I'm not sure how it compares in AUS... but the standards are different, and not all are equal.

Yea, you're right and one of the reasons the Snell 2010 standards were developed. They are closer to the European ECE standards and better than the Snell 2005 ones...

Thank the Australians!

When New York state made seatbelts mandatory in 1985, there was a significant reduction in injuries and deaths along the same lines. Once other states in the US followed suit, the reductions were even better than that of Australia I believe.

Seems like a worthwhile cash grab to me. Taking money from ignorant, selfish people and preventing many, many injuries and deaths that will put stress on our infrastructure and make much more cost to the general public's coffers.

Let me show you something Dustin
Go back to google (which where im sure you armed yourself against the unintelligent like me and run a little experiment). Type in "Why seatbelts save lives. Then search "Why seatbelts don't save lives". Then search "Seatbelt laws are just for money". Then type in any thing you choose and you will discover something ..... You can google any single stat and find whatever answer you want to validate anything. Statistics like the one you quoted are the most unreliable type of information. They can literally be made to say anything you want them to say.
So thank you for trying to have patience with the ignorant people like me but I worked in social services for over 15 yrs and I have been in the medical field for the last 7. ITS ALL ABOUT MONEY!!!
Final thought so you can search some statistic for your next point - If the governments are really trying to protect us , why is the fine money? Enlighten me Google Searcher.

If they remove these 'cash grabs', you will still end up paying. Civilized society isn't about the 'law of the jungle' and we will support the people with medical and social services.

If your neighbor decides to wear a novelty helmet or drinks and drives or decides not to wear his seatbelt, society will pay for his ignorance. You will pay for his ignorance.

This is a bit off topic now and I still think this helmet crackdown in Australia is absurd if they won't even recognise SNELL or ECE standards.[/QUOTE]

You are going off on a tangent on this last part. Not even talking about the same thing.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Back