Police Helmet Standards Blitz

It's nice to see how passionate people here are about things. Always nice to have discussions of this nature as I learn from you guys!

I am admittedly much younger than most of you guys and grew up in a different world so it's fun to engage and most people here are kind enough.

The helmets are all the bloody same so what is the issue?

All the helmets are not all the same, this is the problem. All the Shoei and Ari's are all the same but there are places like china and India pumping out fakes made from cheap plastic and soft foam that offer zero protecting but come with a Shoei or Ari sticker. The AUS standard is how the government are trying to help consumers tell the difference by forcing the reputable companies to adopt the AU standard markings to identify there product as up to standard.

I agree we should be able to wear the USA and Europe standard helmets here as well as the AU ones but don't be fooled into thinking that all helmets are the same, there are fakes out there on the interweb. But like I said earlier if your stupid enough to put your head in a plastic Chinese/Indian bucket and think it will help then go ahead its your life.

All the helmets are not all the same, this is the problem. All the Shoei and Ari's are all the same but there are places like china and India pumping out fakes made from cheap plastic and soft foam that offer zero protecting but come with a Shoei or Ari sticker. The AUS standard is how the government are trying to help consumers tell the difference by forcing the reputable companies to adopt the AU standard markings to identify there product as up to standard.

I agree we should be able to wear the USA and Europe standard helmets here as well as the AU ones but don't be fooled into thinking that all helmets are the same, there are fakes out there on the interweb. But like I said earlier if your stupid enough to put your head in a plastic Chinese/Indian bucket and think it will help then go ahead its your life.

I was referring to the top brand of helmets I can buy in the US or Europe from reputable retailers.
I don't buy rubbish protective equipment.

It's nice to see how passionate people here are about things. Always nice to have discussions of this nature as I learn from you guys!

I am admittedly much younger than most of you guys and grew up in a different world so it's fun to engage and most people here are kind enough.

I probably came on a little strong Dustin. My apologies.
Truth is I used to be very idealistic myself and I'm afraid the last 15 years have beaten it out of me.
I do stand by what I said - just should have said it in a more respectful manner.

I think its in these situations that it is on the cops shoulder as to make it a money grab or not. What I mean by this is The officer can tell that your helmet is a real deal or not when he inspects it, regardless if the AU sticker is on there or not. A decent person would probably let you slide, at least you would think that.Sort of related a couple of years ago toward the end of november I was pulled over by of all things a motorcycle cop. I had my visor up at a stop ligh so it would not fog up. When I pulled away I had yet to put it down. He sited me for not wearing eye protection. Come on we don't even have a helmet law in our state. 200 dollars later I wanted to punch him in the face.

I probably came on a little strong Dustin. My apologies.
Truth is I used to be very idealistic myself and I'm afraid the last 15 years have beaten it out of me.
I do stand by what I said - just should have said it in a more respectful manner.

You have nothing to apologize for! I see your side and respect it

The cops give Australian riders so much crap and here is more proof...

Brand new 2011 exactly 4 weeks old off the show room floor.
Mods are: lowered, bar raiser, yoshi carbon pipes and some pin strips. Pulled over by Mr Plod doing 55km in a 60km zone, so couldn't be for speeding. Mr Plod walks around the bike and states " This is a really ugly looking bike" no bites from this end as obviously looking so something. This is how it goes:

1. Your tinted visor is illegal $100 and 3 points.
2. Your yoshi pipes are illegal and need removing.
3. Your rear foot pegs are illegal remove them (standard footpegs came with the bike.
4. Your bike has no reflector its illegal put it back on.

Okay yes the pipes are aftermarket but who doesn't have them, the rear reflector has been put back on, the foot pegs Wtf no chances as daughter rides on the back at times and the tinted visor, who doesn't have one but after investigation I found its not shatter proof.

We live in a bloody nanny state here god help us for wanting a nice ride out.

Now the visor was the helmet visor and there are no Australian standards for tinted helmet visors. All tinted helmet visors are not apparently shatter proof so this is what the fine was for?? I pulled this post from another forum and it was a female rider..

Last edited:
Its called revenue gathering mate :tdown:

Global slowdown has hit the Governments coffers hard. Control us, tax us hard and maintain the status quo.

Were not quite as anal as Aussie yet but were not to far behind, Government almost doubled our rego last yr so we all ride with regos on hold to stuff the buggers now :cheers:

Ive considered a few times giving up road riding and just doing trackdays.

On the helmet thing, how much is your head worth?. You get what you pay for?, i wear an Arai Corsair but i also have a KBC which was half the price but still quality helmet. It is recommended to replace your helmet every 3-4 yrs even if it is in good nick. Dont ask me why but has something to do with the composite construction breaking down over time, but when you have forked out close to $1000 for an Arai its a bitter pill to swallow. 99% of sportbike riders have good gear its the lower market like scooters and learner bikes that skimp and buy the cheap dodgy crap.

Last edited:
...........This is how it goes:

1. Your tinted visor is illegal $100 and 3 points.
..........and the tinted visor, who doesn't have one but after investigation I found its not shatter proof.

We live in a bloody nanny state here god help us for wanting a nice ride out.

Interesting....just about every NSW Police Highway Patrol bike rider I see has a tinted visor......in fact they seem to like the blue ones! I hope she took it to court? I'm generally supportive of cops as that have a crap job to do that no one ever appreciates.....however, that situation sounds a bit unfair. Although, like every profession, they have their fair share of morons.

Yep...we certianly live in a nanny state. That's because all the useless, lying politicians think we are as stupid, moronic and as retarded as they are.

To be honest guys, a helmet check isnt that bad...

Over here in the Uk, I was once pulled over in my car just for wearing a baseball cap. Unbelievable I know, I asked why they pulled me over as that's what they said.

At the end of the day a helmet check is for your safety aswell, although a fine is extremely harsh. If you could prove where you got it from with a receipt then the blame should be passed on.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=50.819314,-0.376597
Member of the 1 litre club...

Its called revenue gathering mate :tdown:

Global slowdown has hit the Governments coffers hard. Control us, tax us hard and maintain the status quo.

Were not quite as anal as Aussie yet but were not to far behind, Government almost doubled our rego last yr so we all ride with regos on hold to stuff the buggers now :cheers:

Ive considered a few times giving up road riding and just doing trackdays.

On the helmet thing, how much is your head worth?. You get what you pay for?, i wear an Arai Corsair but i also have a KBC which was half the price but still quality helmet. It is recommended to replace your helmet every 3-4 yrs even if it is in good nick. Dont ask me why but has something to do with the composite construction breaking down over time, but when you have forked out close to $1000 for an Arai its a bitter pill to swallow. 99% of sportbike riders have good gear its the lower market like scooters and learner bikes that skimp and buy the cheap dodgy crap.

Dont worry I like to wear all the top crap too and have a Arai Corsair as well also full leathers and back protector but It give me the you know what's as it reminds me of the 70s as the cops were real pigs always pull you up for a licence check and then proceed to go over your bike with a fine tooth comb and in the process they would give you crap!!

......Over here in the Uk, I was once pulled over in my car just for wearing a baseball cap. Unbelievable I know, I asked why they pulled me over as that's what they said......

If you were wearing the hat back to front I'd say that was justified!! :shoot:

Back