Poor Running Help Needed

Slider

Hi folks... just bought an FZ1 after hankering after one for a while so registered on forum recently to try an glean some info on the models glitches as have a problem with it. Can anyone help ?
When I bought it had a Micron Race system on and was running like bitch lowdown in the rev range ...however once past 4 thou went really well... rightly or wrongly I figured it was because needed setting up to the system so wasn't too worried as got a reasonable deal. any how I decided to put it back to standard and get it sorted next year and get some rides in before it was too late in the season. The problem now is that the issue has change in that:-
a) The low down misfire type issue is better but not cured
b) it struggles to pull past 8k ..has low power every where..
One thinkg I forgot to mention is that it it ticks over rough ..was really bad with the Micron system ..not quite as bad on standard... no PC fitted in airbox or under seat...and has standard air filter.. It has only covered 3000 miles and is an 08/58.
I was advised to check that the injector values were set at 5 in Diag mode to see if anyone previous had been messing . The values in D1 are all 00 from codes 30 through to 63. Can anyone help. Thanks.

As ballmead says , check the fuel line is not kinked when the tank is lowered ,, other that its very difficult other than to throw a few suggestions at you .. Does it appear to be running on all four cylinders ,, you can check the temps of the headers as it starts to warm up ( Dont burn your hands ;) ) ... Has the bike been left out side by previous owner ?? I had the outer spark plug voids full of water on mine when I bought it .
Worth a look ,, good luck

Ok gonna check the fuel line today . Don't think it's been left outside as it's really clean..no weather corrosion or signs of the elements at work...just one thing tho.. Would the symptoms change (if it is fuel line) as it has ...by swapping the exhaust system from micron serpent system to standard system ?

Maybe, as anything is possible with a kinked fuel line.

I would do the fuel line mod anyway.

It's hard to tell if the line is kinked from the outside unless you cut the rubber shroud off the stock fuel line.

Many of us have done the mod as a precautionary move (myself included) as it is so common, especially if the tank has been up a few times.

I'd use the 5/16th or 8mm hose as it's easier to fit the hose onto the stock fittings and still seals really well.

Hi folks sorry not updated thread have been really busy but seem have cured it or rather GEoff at HIlltop has. I decided to bite the bullet and booked in for Thursday pm. Took the bike down in the van and wheeled her out. Started up from from cold and Geoff listened intently for a couple of minutes sat on then floor at the side of the headers. He decided on the offending cylinder then checked it with the laser temp gauge to confirm. So it was decided first that the plugs needed checking. They showed signs of running very lean ( which a pal of mine had stated after putting an exhaust sniffer on) . So a new set of plugs went in and we put it on the dyno with sniffer in place (didn't do a run just started her up and checked the analyser) and again it showed it running lean. Anyhow Geoff did his stuff...job done...no more poor running. I had aZZR 1400 sorted by him couple of years ago so he didn't charge full price.. All I will say about the guy is ... Two bikes taken to Hilltop and two proper positive results.
After a good chinwag with Geoff the basic diagnosis was ... It was running way too lean which was killing the plugs ... Now mapped .... Peaks and troughs eliminated and has a nice smooth curve .. And is like a completely different bike. Had a quick blast this morning and came back grinning from ear to ear . Top job..

So it was running lean with the stock system too? It really sounds like the fuel line was kinked.
Anyway good to see that it's all sorted now.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Back