Possible cracked weld

fz1uk

Hey guys - I have just picked up my new fz1 and ridden it home 100 miles for the first time (awesome bike and will post pics as soon as the sun is out)...its not all good though - I've found what I think might be a cracked weld on both sides where the pillion peg hangers join to the rear subframe. Its worse on the exhaust side as the 'crack' seems to run the length of the weld. I don't know if I'm looking at a crack to be honest so I will post some pics once it gets light tomorrow but I'd like to know if anyone else has experienced a similar issue? I have read a thread on here about frame cracks which is why I actually ran downstairs to look.. but the welds on the main frame seem fine.

I'm going to drop in to my local Yam dealer and ask for their opinion as well but I want to get a few thoughts before I trek it back the 100miles to the dealer I bought it from.

The bike is an early 2007 and has 13k miles on it and I've only had it for 8 hours! :doh2: I had hoped to own it for longer before worrying about problems!

Cheers

*edit.. I just realised I posted this in general but I guess it would be better suited to fz1 technical. Is there anyway to move it?

Last edited:
Moved it to the Garage instead. :D So, yes, I am curious about these possible cracks. If you have a macro setting on your camera, light the thing up well and get some macro shots so show the fine details. :tup:

Now I'll be looking at mine when I leave work shortly. ;)

First off - here is a dealers pic of the bike! I love the look of it although there is always room for improvement :)

and now down to the nitty gritty... here are a couple of pics of the crack/break/scratch on the pillon peg

first the exhaust side:

now the other side:

I showed it in person to a mechanic at a local garage and he said that he thought they were just scratches.. the non-exhaust side I imagine could be a scratch but what do you think to the exhaust side? I have it booked in at a Yam dealer for next Saturday (which is their earliest slot) as I have a few more concerns about the bike on top of these as follows...

I took the fairing off to get a closer look at the headers and this is what I found:

and more corrosion here (what are these parts?):

but then I had a closer look at the front brake disc and found this pitting - the dealer has just put new pads on and assured me if the disc needed replacing he would do that too as part of the sale.

I haven't got a clue where to start on replacing things and tbh I feel really rubbish about my purchase. I thought I was on to a winner and because of the fairing I hadn't noticed the rust. The dealer did the 12K mile service and said he'd stamped the service book - I asked him if the oil and filter had been changed and he said no.. they have a tool that can check the contaminants in the oil and it read below the level required for an oil change.. I have no idea if this was balls and so I didn't question it further.. :( He also said the oil changes are every 10K miles so he didn't understand why I was worried about it.

Help! :rmwl:

i'm thinking the scratches around the rear peg/exhaust mounts mite be from the brackets that get mounted for top boxes and such. as for corrosion, welcome to cheap parts used by many manufacturers these days !! the area you were looking at is the water pump mate. Hope all is well anyway.

Seth

That is THE shadiest dealer I've ever heard of. 10k mile oil changes?

That bike looks like it drove through salt water every day for its life. It's a mess under that plastic. It can be fixed but it won't be cheap.... I'd ask for all that rust to be removed, replace the brake rotors and clean up all that area to see if there's any other damage.

I've just made a mental note about buying used: Have them take off the plastics and lift the tank before I sign anything. ;)

Well I've emailed the images to the dealer and he's given me a pretty dismissive response on the phone saying all bikes get corrosion on the headers.... I will wait to see what more they come back with early next week. Funny how last week he couldn't be more helpful.. now he can't wait to get me off the phone.

Does anybody have a stock exhaust header they're selling after fitting an aftermarket one by any chance? I guess I better post that part in the WTB section.

Anyway, I'm sure once the bike has been sorted I will be happy as larry but for now it feels like a rock in my shoe.

Cheers for the responses and I agree with the prognosis on the scratches - probably just marks from where luggage was added.

obviously very neglected in that area and probably due to lazyness not wanting to remove the lower fairings, you'd be surprised how that lot would clean up with a few hours of your time, some de-greaser and a can of acf-50, those headers won't need changing, I would however insist the dealer change oil & filter and re-inspect those discs.

Back