Possible Security Risk

FSTZ1

I thought I would share this information that was sent out from the company I work for that has to do with posting pictures on the web, since a lot of that goes on via this forum.

" . . . inform you of a security risk that you or your friends and family members may be exposed to when posting or forwarding photographs taken with your smartphone. You may be inadvertently including sensitive information in these photographs because of "geotagging" features automatically enabled on your smartphone.

Geotagging is a feature on your smartphone that uses GPS to determine your location. This commonly used feature allows you to use mapping and location service applications - such as finding the nearest gas/petrol station or restaurant. Geotagging is often on by default and therefore when you take a photograph it stores information about where the picture was taken as part of the photo file using the GPS system built into your phone. Anyone using easily available software can extract this embedded location data to determine where the individual in the photo lives, works or goes to school.

When you post photos on the internet, many sites, such as Facebook, actually strip out this information so that even if you have the feature switched on, the information will not be available. Unfortunately, some websites do not strip out the information. Flickr, for example, a site designed for sharing photos, preserves the data and allows those with a Flickr Pro account to access it. If you send geotagged pictures via email, that information is also available to view by any individual using a photo viewer on their computer or smartphone.

If you wish to disable the geotagging feature for photos to protect your privacy, please follow the instructions below. By disabling geotracking for photos only, you can still take advantage of the other applications that use GPS:

Blackberry:
1. On the Home screen, click the Camera icon.
2 .Press the Menu key.
3. Click Options.
4. Change the Geotagging field to Disabled.
5. Press the Menu key.
6. Click Save.

iPhone:
1. Tap Settings
2. Tap General
3. Tap Location Services
4. Slide the camera toggle to OFF
5. Back out of the menu by tapping General and then Settings
6. Press the Home state button

If you are using a device other than a BlackBerry or iPhone, please contact your mobile service provider or the manufacturer of the device to learn how to disable the geotagging feature."

There is NO reason to be concerned about geo-tagging. Sure it is embedded in smart phone photos but so what? This is of little use to any criminals.

I really wish this NON-ISSUE was not posted, as it causes alarm for no reason. This is a tempest in a teapot, a red herring, a solution waiting for a legitimate problem.

Keep the geo tagging on, and be happy, assured, and safe.

Sheesh!!

I think if you had little kids, it might be some ado about something. Especially if you've taken pics of them playing in the back yard. That said, turning the gps feature off should eliminate that issue. It's common sense, kind of like turning your phone off when you're on a cruise that takes you out of the country so you don't incur data charges. (there was a special report about that on the local news a few weeks ago. somebody got a $100,000 data bill!)

The "possible security risk" really depends on who will have access to the geotagged photo(s)...
Worst (extreme) case scenario:
You're selling a diamond ring; you take a geotagged photo at home, and post the photo in an online classified without removing the geotag data... An individual interested in acquiring your diamond ring downloads the photo, accesses the geotag and now knows where you took the photo (which is the entire point of geotagging)... Unannounced, uninvited, and unwelcome, this individual invades your home to steal your diamond ring.​
I would not put it past a criminal or online predator to specifically look for this data, especially when it comes to expensive items (for sale or otherwise).

For the sake of personal security (and privacy), I am of the opinion that if you're going to put anything on the internet, you should be aware of the potential consequences of doing so.

All that being said, if I had a device that supported geotagging, I would enable it for pictures on road trips or other adventures where I might later want to know where the picture was taken.

There is NO reason to be concerned about geo-tagging. Sure it is embedded in smart phone photos but so what? This is of little use to any criminals.

I really wish this NON-ISSUE was not posted, as it causes alarm for no reason. This is a tempest in a teapot, a red herring, a solution waiting for a legitimate problem.

Keep the geo tagging on, and be happy, assured, and safe.

Sheesh!!

And your daugher taking general pictures posting on her FB account or myspace... I hope the pervs aren't smart enought to figure out lat/long...

be smart... be safe... there are some Folkers on the streets that should not be alive.....

Back