Potential Issue

So it's 90deg today in Columbus and I went for a short ride, however, unlike the usual my bike temp 199-214, this time it didn't get above 124. It's been idling for 15 mins now and it sits at 135F.

Right before I took off for my ride I stopped at the gas station 1 mile away and filled up with 89 (midgrade), I normally use 87. Did that had something to do with it, or is this a thermostat issue? BTW my speed wa 88 mph once I noticed the temp was unusually low, I actually made a u-turn back home since I think there may be a problem. What do you guys/gals think?

So it's 90deg today in Columbus and I went for a short ride, however, unlike the usual my bike temp 199-214, this time it didn't get above 124. It's been idling for 15 mins now and it sits at 135F.

Right before I took off for my ride I stopped at the gas station 1 mile away and filled up with 89 (midgrade), I normally use 87. Did that had something to do with it, or is this a thermostat issue? BTW my speed wa 88 mph once I noticed the temp was unusually low, I actually made a u-turn back home since I think there may be a problem. What do you guys/gals think?

89 octane has nothing to do with it. What i'm most surprised about is your normal operating temp(199-214). Mine never runs that hot going down the road.

89 octane has nothing to do with it. What i'm most surprised about is your normal operating temp(199-214). Mine never runs that hot going down the road.

Hey I figured I'd disclose everything, even gas, as irrelevant as it may seem. 214 would only be seen when I'm idling at a stoplight etc. We're talking hot days here. I'm in Ga it's 98-102 everyday this summer.

If it is not getting hot, sounds like a thermostat stuck in the open position. I had the same thing happen to my wife's Blazer while on a snowboarding trip in the mountains this past winter. It was like 18 degrees Fahrenheit out and the heater was blowing semi-warm air into the car.

If it is not getting hot, sounds like a thermostat stuck in the open position. I had the same thing happen to my wife's Blazer while on a snowboarding trip in the mountains this past winter. It was like 18 degrees Fahrenheit out and the heater was blowing semi-warm air into the car.

I can see that in the Winter with the outside temp very low, but as warm as it is now in GA I would imagine that at idle it would warm up since there's no air flowing over the radiator. However, the only thing that makes sense is a stuck thermostat...

Check your coolant level, water temperature sensors are designed to be immersed in liquid so if your coolant level has fallen below the level of the sensor, you may actually be running hot even though the gauge doesn't reflect that. BTW, mine has shown weird temp readings on the dash before and all I did was cycle the key and it went back to normal.

Check your coolant level, water temperature sensors are designed to be immersed in liquid so if your coolant level has fallen below the level of the sensor, you may actually be running hot even though the gauge doesn't reflect that. BTW, mine has shown weird temp readings on the dash before and all I did was cycle the key and it went back to normal.

Interesting, it could be as simple as that. I've had low temp readings before but i was riding to Atlanta (100+ miles) and hauling arse on the I185/85, so the airflow helped keep things cool. This is just weird. I will go for a spin here in a few and see what's up.

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the gauge cluster allow you to switch from Fahrenheit to Celsius but the symbol doesn't change and always shows the F? Might be a stupid idea because 125 C is really hot... but throwing it out there.

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the gauge cluster allow you to switch from Fahrenheit to Celsius but the symbol doesn't change and always shows the F? Might be a stupid idea because 125 C is really hot... but throwing it out there.

No it changes and shows C or F. I checked to ensure I didn't switch it accidentally.

Last edited:
Well this morning I just took off my resavoir cap and re-installed it, cranked my bike and left it running for 10-15 mins and my temp was at 185. That is normal for MY bike. But I guess there still is an issue based on my initial post. Oh well ride time :nana:

Thanks all for your input.

Hmmm I was looking at something the other day and noticed it didn't change from F even though it changed units, could have sworn it was the bike:confused: sorry.

No You are right. When you press the reset button it momentarily flashes to C, however the big F to the right remains there, but lke you said the units changes. So confusing, but you were correct Sir. I'm sorry.

I haven't checked it for a while but isn't there and ambient air temp indicator in the menu also? Also did the bike feel physically hot like it was up to normal temp cause we all know it can get a little uncomfortable at times. Coolant ever changed on it? Could be an air bubble in the system and it worked its way past the sensor when the engine was cycled off. I'm just spitballing its my day off and not a whole lot to do in the desert ;). Hope everything is running fine for you.

I haven't checked it for a while but isn't there and ambient air temp indicator in the menu also? Also did the bike feel physically hot like it was up to normal temp cause we all know it can get a little uncomfortable at times. Coolant ever changed on it? Could be an air bubble in the system and it worked its way past the sensor when the engine was cycled off. I'm just spitballing its my day off and not a whole lot to do in the desert ;). Hope everything is running fine for you.

Yes this bike does have an ambient temp sensor. If you look in your owners manual you press the reset button once and the letter A will be displayed then it will give you the intake air temp sensor reading. If you press reset again it will display the letter C and then switch back to the coolant temp. And when you turn the bike on it defaults to the coolant temp every time. So my guess is you hit that by accident and didn't notice. 124 degrees and 135 degrees Fahrenheit while riding and sitting idling would not be out of the ordinary.

Last edited:
Back