Powder Coat

Couldn't take the look of the silver driver's rear set and passenger peg bracket anymore on my 09 FZ1 so i had to send the parts for powder coat, along with Triple tree and risers! Really a pain pushing those little bushings out of the triple tree, not so bad on rear sets.

In the long run: what an Improvement!!:D

Yamaha should have done that from the start, i'm jealous of those who have bought the newer bikes with factory powder coat.

Just waiting on my pegs to dry now...Repainting them myself

20130310_155356_zps517be10e.jpg

20130310_130341_zps7a2f17e3.jpg

20130310_155507_zpsd01494bb.jpg

It was pretty easy. Little bit of a pain getting the security bolts out of the ignition, but drilling the heads off was easy enough. The hardest part was pressing the bushingstthat hold the riser bolts.

Looks great, seems like too much of a pain for me though, I got some easy stuff getting powder coated now, I didn't wanna mess with the top tripple clamp

Reign: for the top clamp, risers, triple, driver rear sets, and passenger brackets it was 200 shipped. Of course I had to make the hour and a half drive to drop it all off. I
I had brought it to another place and the quoted me 315, so that didn't fly obviously.

Guyz: I won' be surprised lf the painted pegs don't last but it's an experiment with truck bed paint. I had purchased pegs from Dennis kirk but they pitch down so I'm returning them and going with painted pegs until I find a suitable replacement.

Reign: for the top clamp, risers, triple, driver rear sets, and passenger brackets it was 200 shipped.

I have access to a sand blasting and powder coating booth at the nearby TechShop Detroit. Sounds like I should spend the money to learn how to use the equipment and offer to powder coat stuff for others! I had no idea it was so expensive.

I'm getting the rearsets, footpegs, passenger pegs, brackets, handlebar, risers (not triple tree though) to be powdercoated tomorrow.
Do i have to get them sandblasted before? Is that necessary?

Yes

I'm getting the rearsets, footpegs, passenger pegs, brackets, handlebar, risers (not triple tree though) to be powdercoated tomorrow.
Do i have to get them sandblasted before? Is that necessary?

Yes it is a good idea, if you want the powdercoat to stick well. I have had a few things done over the years and always bead (sand) blast the items before hand. I am lucky since we have a bead blasting cabinet at work that I can use.

Back