Putting in a new chain and possible sprocket

Chain and sprockets together. I got mine at sprocket center last may with the RK chain. I bought a chain tool kit from cycle gear when it was on sale. Decent quality for the sale price. It's my first one so I don't know how it would compare to the motion pro or other popular brands. I used [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GZPkqaHhbs"]their youtube[/ame] to learn how to use the thing since they both looked the same. It worked like it should and I had no trouble breaking the chain or riveting the master link. It was the first time I'd ever changed a chain.

Hey, don't do like I did. Make sure that you remove the front sprocket before breaking your chain. Using an impact gun makes the job easy. I would remove the old one, install the new one, and then break the chain and remove the rear tire for the rear sprocket installation. Also, spend the couple of dollars and get yourself a new "lock washer" for the front sprocket. I like the EK or RK X-Ring Chains. They wear really well and have really good tensile strength. Sprockets I would go with steel units. The OEM front stock sprockets are not that expensive at all and you can order the washer at the same time. Partshark is a great place to shop for spectacular low pricing on many OEM items. Check them out!

If you don't have an impact gun, which I did not, I had a friend sit in the bike, on the sidestand, rear break mashed, and used a 2X4 through the back wheel. I agree with taking the front sprocket off first, and buying a new washer. All great advice. It's really not to hard. Basic chain breaking tool, and your good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you don't have a chain breaker, a cheap set of bolt cutters works fine. It's not like you're going to use the chain again anyway and it's WAY faster. And you have the added bonus of bolt cutters that can be used for other things.

But if I get a chain with a riveting link I'd need the riveting tool that comes along with the chain breaker. I'm worried only because it's a big bike and I've never changed a motorcycle chain before. I was going to go to the local bike shop. They said 80-110 for the chain and sprocket installation.. I mean it kind of seems simple enough to do myself..and the tools are the price of the labor at a shop.. I'm just scared the chain is going to break or something if I don't rivet it correctly.

And as for sprockets and chains..anyone have a good set of numbers on the top of their heads as to number of teeth for the front and rear and the chain and number of links? Sorry I'm such a noob. lol

And as for sprockets and chains..anyone have a good set of numbers on the top of their heads as to number of teeth for the front and rear and the chain and number of links? Sorry I'm such a noob. lol

Stock for the GenI is 16/44 with a chain of I think was 116 links. That is stock for the bike. I ran a 16/45 combo when I had my 01'. It allowed me to keep the bike in third gear when cruising up the mountain and didn't hardly affect the gas mileage. Some guys go to a 15T front for "wheelie time". It's all about preference.

Any of these parts worth grabbing from amazon? I have a $200 gift card =D

Amazon sells that stuff????? I mostly shop for OEM parts from Partshark.com
I guess it doesn't matter where you go as long as they have them. Go with "Steel" for your sprockets and a quality 530 X-Ring or O-Ring chain. I love the RK and EK brands but any brand name chain will suffice. Just make sure that you get a "Rivet Style Link" and NOT a "Clip Style" master link like bicycles have. They just aren't strong enough for my well being.

my spocket center package came with superspox sprockets. FWIW, without the washer my front sprocket nut was barely hand tight. I didn't have any trouble removing mine after I'd broken the chain. When I installed the new sprocket, I made the nut tighter but a week or so later when I went back in to put the new washer in (I forgot to get it when I got the sprocket set and didn't remember until after the chain was broken so I reused the old one) it was a similar kind of loose.

my spocket center package came with superspox sprockets. FWIW, without the washer my front sprocket nut was barely hand tight. I didn't have any trouble removing mine after I'd broken the chain. When I installed the new sprocket, I made the nut tighter but a week or so later when I went back in to put the new washer in (I forgot to get it when I got the sprocket set and didn't remember until after the chain was broken so I reused the old one) it was a similar kind of loose.

Patrice!!! Your living on the edge woman!! A whole week riding without your lock washer??!!! You are definitely braver than I. LOL!

And how's the rk 530xsoz1 rx-ring chain, and ek 530 srx x-ring chain? And has anyone heard of the brand sunstar for sprockets?

The EK is an awesome chain. My last one was the X-Ring in Gold. The EK has great tensile strength and resists stretching. Now I'm not an aggressive rider by any means but that chain was cleaned and lubed regularly, and I think I had to adjust it once! Now Gary (Pilot8127) has the bike and ask him how many times he's had to adjust it. I bet not more than once.

if you don't have an impact gun, which i did not, i had a friend sit in the bike, on the sidestand, rear break mashed, and used a 2x4 through the back wheel. I agree with taking the front sprocket off first, and buying a new washer. All great advice. It's really not to hard. Basic chain breaking tool, and your good to go.

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk

do not use a 2x4 through the wheel and swing arm on the gen2 fz1 !
A few people have reported bending the swingarm !!

Your flirting with disaster wedging the swing arm and wheel on the gen II fz1 and many other newer bikes.

FIRST GENERATION FZ1 owners MAY be ok with the swing arm/wheel, but its really not a good idea. Just hold the brake, maybe put your fattest friend on the bike for weight and if all else fails buy, rent or steal an impact wrench. You can find electric impact wrenches for 50 bucks and have a new toy for all kinds of fun stuff.

Last edited:
do not use a 2x4 through the wheel and swing arm on the gen2 fz1 !
A few people have reported bending the swingarm !!

Your flirting with disaster wedging the swing arm and wheel on the gen II fz1 and many other newer bikes.

First generation FZ1 owners should be ok with the swing arm, but its really not a good idea.

I agree. Just pressure on the rear break should be enough if your using an impact gun.

Back