Question about popping from deceleration?

mjfreuland

I've had an 08 fz1 for about two years. I can't remember if the popping has always been there or not, but when i decelerate from about 6 rpms it pops all the way down. Is this something I should worry about, or not take too much concern over? honestly I like the sound so if it doesn't really need to be fixed then I'll just leave it alone but I was just wondering. oh and by the way if it helps i've got a pcIII, K&N air filter, and a GYTR slip on

Take a look at this thread. http://www.998cc.org/forum/gen-ii-mods/5541-ais-block-off-newbie-how.html

It doesn't hurt anything to leave it alone. It just means that your excess fuel is being detonated at the CAT and this is the popping you hear. It's actually better for the environment that is does pop. Doing the AIS (air induction system) blockoff mostly eliminates the popping however, it puts out raw fuel gases into the atmosphere.

It actually happens even stock but the stock can is baffled to eliminate the noises. ;)

So, it is personal choice. I chose to block the tube and get rid of the popping. Hope that helps!

Not sure how bad your popping is, but I have all the mods and when messing around with semi wot on small straights, close to the limiter, and chop, I get some waffling sounds. Not really popping, but it feels completely normal. Sounds like I have to get higher rpm's to get the sound than when yours happens.

scout, get her up in the 7k+ range and chop the throttle. When I'm out on my fun rides, the bike lives above 7k! :D It used to pop really bad, almost a backfire!

scout, get her up in the 7k+ range and chop the throttle. When I'm out on my fun rides, the bike lives above 7k! :D It used to pop really bad, almost a backfire!

bro, I am. My twist loop is so tight I'm mostly in 1st, but I can get it going to the limiter, often, between the twists, (although today I kinda was aware that the bike seemed to need one lower gear...then I figured out I was in SECOND, Hate that). Rear sprocket is 48 so I'm usually above 4k even on the hair pins. For sure a chop from 7k I get zero flutter like I get from a chop just before the limiter. No popping, though. Don't know how to descibe the sound, but it seems normal.

Dang Scout, I'm still running stock gearing. I can ride the entire section of Calaveras in 1st. I will be lowering the gearing and adding a speed correction device soon along with a slip on. Uncle Sam didn't want extra $$ this year.

Dang Scout, I'm still running stock gearing. I can ride the entire section of Calaveras in 1st. I will be lowering the gearing and adding a speed correction device soon along with a slip on. Uncle Sam didn't want extra $$ this year.

Love that little road. Last week an entire club of porsches, about 20, and a couple mini coopers rolled by, on coming, all taking it easy, safely on their own side.

That would be an even more interesting road if made one way, at least for me in a couple areas.

Love to see what you would do on a closed calveras road. ha! Get rid of those tour tires first, though!

I quite like the popping, scares the bejesus out of cage drivers when I am coming into a roundabout. Although I am slightly concerned that a diligent police man might not agree but there are no laws directly concerning exhaust noise levels on bikes in Ireland nor the equipment to check on the roadside.

You should hear my Speedmaster with short TORS and a PC V. It will do some serious shot-guns if the throttle is closed after a run from about 5 grand. It can be controlled though, through the use of the throttle, not going totally closed or using the clutch to keep it from coasting under compression braking.

Back