R1 Brake MC part no's....

Ok so I've been checking out the R1 Master Cylinder upgrade and I found new ones on www.boats.net and new ones can be had for just a bit more than used ones on ebay. So for such an important part I'd rather a new one, after all it's my life on the line if I buy a dodgy used one...
But after looking at them I noticed that the overhaul kit for the internals of them is the exact same part no for all three different part no's for the 04, 05-06 and 07-08.
Now the three different models (part no's) I have listed below and are different prices (cheapest is the 04, then add $40 for the 05-06 and add an extra $45 for the 07-08) but if internally they are identical then the 04 is the bargain...
04 R1 MC p/n: 5VY-W2587-00-00 MASTER CYLINDER SUB
05-06 R1 MC p/n: 5VY-W2587-10-00 MASTER CYLINDER SUB
07-08 R1 MC p/n: 5SL-W2587-00-00 MASTER CYLINDER SUB

So is there anyone that can find out what the specs are on these three?
I emailed a major Yamaha Parts shop asking them and they couldn't tell me...

subject: R1 Master Cylinder part no's
Hello, I have been looking at the R1 Master Cylinders as I want to upgrade my axial master cylinder on my 08 FZ1 with a radial MC. Lots of guys on FZ1's have already done this mod and have had great results. I just want to ask you, is there any physical differences between the following: 04 R1 MC p/n: 5VY-W2587-00-00 MASTER CYLINDER SUB 05-06 R1 MC p/n: 5VY-W2587-10-00 MASTER CYLINDER SUB 07-08 R1 MC p/n: 5SL-W2587-00-00 MASTER CYLINDER SUB Thanks for your help.

Good morning Scott,
Unfortunately no tech support here only parts assistance.
That said…
You can see and order all your Yamaha R-1 parts on our website, complete with a shipping quote all prior to purchase.
We ship to Australia daily !

https://www.yamahagenuineparts.com/Parts/Parts.asp

Please email us if you require any further assistance.

Thanks for using YamahaGenuineParts.com

Don't forget about the R6 2005+ ones too.

They are also radial Brembo units designed to push radial calipers.

R1 or R6 crap all over the stock FZ1 MC

For what it worth I did a where used for an 04 master cylinder rebuild kit (all of the internal guts). A 5VY-W0041-00-00 is used for all 04 to 08 R1s and 05 to 07 R6s. I would believe this should make the performance of each different master cylinder part numbers very similar.

This would also lead me to believe the different part numbers may just be some external casting or finishing difference.

The brake lever 5vy-83922-00-00 is used from 04 to 06 R1s. Again making the performance similar as the ancillary parts (reservoir, hardware, etc.) will not have any effect on performance.

The brake lever 5sl-83922-10-00 is used from 05 to 07 R6 and 07 to 09 R1.

If you want to dig deeper the where used is at RonAyers.com

I just checked the Motion Pro website for replacement brake levers and they show 04 to 08 R1s all with the same part number. Looks like the Yamaha part number difference may only be cosmetic.

Happy hunting.

Last edited:
For what it worth I did a where used for an 04 master cylinder rebuild kit (all of the internal guts). A 5VY-W0041-00-00 is used for all 04 to 08 R1s and 05 to 07 R6s. I would believe this should make the performance of each different master cylinder part numbers very similar.

This would also lead me to believe the different part numbers may just be some external casting or finishing difference.

The brake lever 5vy-83922-00-00 is used from 04 to 06 R1s. Again making the performance similar as the ancillary parts (reservoir, hardware, etc.) will not have any effect on performance.

The brake lever 5sl-83922-10-00 is used from 05 to 07 R6 and 07 to 09 R1.

If you want to dig deeper the where used is at RonAyers.com

Happy hunting.

Thanks for that! I was thinking the same thing based on the part no of the rebuild kit too.
The only other difference is they use a different part no for the Lever and there's a $5 difference.
Unless someone can find the technical specs for those part numbers I'll leave it at this....
If the postage is reasonable I'll grab that newer one from Ron Ayers, then order all the rest from boats.net.

I just added to my original post.

I just checked the Motion Pro website for replacement brake levers and they show 04 to 08 R1s all with the same part number. Looks like the Yamaha part number difference may only be cosmetic.

Found all the parts I need at PartShark.com - Motorcycle Parts, ATV Parts, UTV Parts, PWC Parts, Powersports Apparel, Motorcycle Accessories for OEM and Aftermarket. for approx $250US shipped to me in Oz.
It's a bit more than a used one off fleabay but the ones on there so far have no brake lever on them and are the older part no. ones... This way I get a new setup for a few dollars more. A bit of insurance for my braking system so I know there's no dodgy parts in there.
Here's what I needed:

5SL-W2587-00-00 MASTER CYLINDER SUB
5VY-2589F-01-00 BOLT, LEVER
4HM-83980-00-00 FRONT STOP SWITCH AS
5VS-25867-00-00 BRACKET, MASTER CYLI
5VS-26332-00-00 BOLT
5SL-83922-10-00 LEVER
5VS-2585H-00-00 SCREW,SET
5VS-2586F-00-00 NUT, COVER

I've already sourced an MC reservoir, hose and bracket off fleabay :)

Also just ordered a set of HEL SS brake lines for it all and asked for the lines to be a few cm's longer for the radial MC...

So, this and a PC5 should just about do it for upgrades for now. I'll get around to the other stuff that I haven't ordered yet later.

Back