R1 front conversion ?s

ghetto_d

so, in the process of improving my genII, i am changing the handlebars & risers, and putting a R1 front end on (forks, calipers, rotors, axle).

here's the issue: for this season, i only was planning on changing out the handlebars/risers, and leaving the forks, etc until next off-season. however, to change the bars out (highest rizoma bars & risers), i need to get new cables, undoubtedly. not wanting to buy new cables/hoses now AND later, i ask:

how much longer are people making the brake hoses when swapping on R1 forks & brakes? i'm hoping i can just order long enough brake lines now, and not have to do it twice.

FYI, the rizoma heights are 50mm + 60mm, if you want to factor that into your equation as well...

I had originally stated that R1 lines +50mm would be ok but I just bought set and they are too short.

Apologies if I have caused anyone to buy the wrong lines.

It seems the FZ1 lines fit ok. Maybe add an extra 25mm so they don't stretch when fully extended.

Last edited:
alrighty, the handlebars are going on this weekend, so i'll let everyone know just how the cables mate up. i'm determined to only buy brake lines once as i said, so i hope this works!

??????????????

why R1 forks on a gen II?
all you need to do is internals
the gen I needs whole new forks.
02-03 and 07- 2011 use the same rake as your gen II,
07-2011 have the same internals as your bike,
only the 02-06 have shorter tubes all the rest have longer tubes than your gen II,
07 -2011 use the six piston calipers,
09-20111 use the same springs,
but all 02 on R1 use different axles.
02 on maybe same fender style??

top and bottom triple trees?
stem?
bearings?
off set?
and varied years have different tube outer diameters.

easier and cheaper to just have your forks rebuilt.
on my 04 i need to have whole new forks, triples. rims, etc.
and machine work, to a stock stem, or custom triples.... read $$$$$.

??????????????

why R1 forks on a gen II?

i've tried to type this out without sounding like an asshole but, you appear to be ignorant to performance, the fz1 and the r1, and the gen1 vs gen2 fz1 suspension differences. the r1 suspension and brakes are far superior than even built fz1 forks. and you can build from the r1 platform to far higher performance levels than the stock fz1 suspension. gen2 and 07+ r1 suspension swaps are very easy. fz1 suspension is garbage, even built.

OP don't forget to replace the rear shock from a R1 as well to match the change you're making to the front. having proper fronts will not do you any good if the rear can't keep up, which the stock fz1 rear shock can not. you'll need to pick up a satans666 adapter for it to make it work properly.

Personally, I'm swapping the front end because:
-I feel the fz1 front is lacking in performance
-I detest the gold forks yamaha puts out
-I have all the parts on hand already, sourced from my other bikes.
As far as the rear goes, I know something will need to be done there as well, however I still have to decide whether I want to put a stock R1 shock on, or rebuild the existing, or order an aftermarket setup...
Jared - Holla to a fellow Seattlite!

Personally, I'm swapping the front end because:
-I feel the fz1 front is lacking in performance
-I detest the gold forks yamaha puts out
-I have all the parts on hand already, sourced from my other bikes.
As far as the rear goes, I know something will need to be done there as well, however I still have to decide whether I want to put a stock R1 shock on, or rebuild the existing, or order an aftermarket setup...
Jared - Holla to a fellow Seattlite!

the stock suspension is horrid. i went with the black 08 r1 forks, looks way better than the gold on my 09 that has no gold on it otherwise. i sourced everything from the r1 forums. same story on the rear, the adapter and r1 rear is better than a built fz1 shock, has ability to make more adjustments, and can build the r1 shock to a higher level of performance than the fz1 shock. plus you can sell the fz1 shock to the fz8 guys, they eat it up for some reason. i got my rear r1 shock for $10. so, deals can be had easily.

and, howdy, why do i recognize your name from somewhere? hmt? pnwriders?

the stock suspension is horrid. i went with the black 08 r1 forks, looks way better than the gold on my 09 that has no gold on it otherwise. i sourced everything from the r1 forums. same story on the rear, the adapter and r1 rear is better than a built fz1 shock, has ability to make more adjustments, and can build the r1 shock to a higher level of performance than the fz1 shock. plus you can sell the fz1 shock to the fz8 guys, they eat it up for some reason. i got my rear r1 shock for $10. so, deals can be had easily.

and, howdy, why do i recognize your name from somewhere? hmt? pnwriders?

i tend to use the same user name on the different forums i frequent - and i'm certainly on pnw...

i'll probably put a R1 shock on the FZ, maybe i'll get it modified before i put it on. i got some some time to think on it...

Hahaha, poor FZ8 guys can't catch a break

mine sold in something stupid like 15 minutes when i posted it. poor fz8, shoulda been such a badass bike like the z800, instead, giant wet japanese noodle

i tend to use the same user name on the different forums i frequent - and i'm certainly on pnw...

i'll probably put a R1 shock on the FZ, maybe i'll get it modified before i put it on. i got some some time to think on it...

when i got my r1 suspension i had the fluids swapped out just for the sake of, who knows the last time it was done so might as well start fresh and that only cost me about $100 bucks

well, crap...you may or may not know me then on pnwriders...

Back