Recomended Fuel?

What Octane fuel do you guys run in your bikes?

Being in California we do not have access to the really good stuff except for a few rare gas stations.

I put in the top Grand 91 octane for the first fill up, but can I get away with the 87 octane?

87 octane is fine in the FZ1 and I never heard of anyone having issues using it. Me, myself, I use the middle grade 89 octane ever since I've bought the FZ. At 5.5 gallon tank capacity, your talking about 30 cents difference on a full tank. I know I am probably not reaping any benefits from using 89 but it's merely a personal preference and nothing more. You'll have no problems using 87 if thats what you want.

The manual states 87 so that is all I run. I tried the higher octane rated fuels and found it to be no different at all so I deemed it was worth the money to stick with what Yamaha recommended. :tup:

I was once apprehensive about running anything other than premium. After a similar thread to this one I have weened my self off of it and run 87 all the time. No issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is interesting.

USA standard and Europe is a bit different but if a convert it the lowest octane according to your standard (USA) that I can buy is 91 octane but I always use 94 octane fuel (Turbo). But if you have a highly tuned car/bike here in Sweden you use Ethanol (which all stations must have) that has a octane of a 100.

Europe RON-standard
USA PON-standard

I pay 8$ a gallon. How much do you pay?

(Standards)
http://www.btinternet.com/~madmole/Reference/RONMONPON.html

Last edited:
This is interesting.

USA standard and Europe is a bit different but if a convert it the lowest octane according to your standard (USA) that I can buy is 91 octane but I always use 94 octane fuel (Turbo). But if you have a highly tuned car/bike here in Sweden you use Ethanol (which all stations must have) that has a octane of a 100.

Europe RON-standard
USA PON-standard

I pay 8$ a gallon. How much do you pay?

Here in NY we are just under $4.00 dollars a gallon.

I go to the Florida Keys every month and try to fill up my car with 87 octane marine fuel in Key Largo. It contains no ethanol which translates to better mileage and a bit more acceleration.

I go to the Florida Keys every month and try to fill up my car with 87 octane marine fuel in Key Largo. It contains no ethanol which translates to better mileage and a bit more acceleration.

How far a haul is that from you? Is it cost effective to do that? Although I once saw a guy in a gas station when the prices had dropped and he had a pick-up with a 32 gallon rubbermaid Brute container in back, lined with what looked like some kind of heavy plastic. He filled it up and had the cover rigged with bungees to it which hooked to the bottom. Talk about a rolling death trap!

I prefer to run 93. From my experience tearing down all kinds of engines, I can tell you that you get a whole lot less deposits on valves and pistons when running the premium grade fuel. I feel that the extra cost is worth the cleaner engine and lower maitenance costs down the road.

How far a haul is that from you? Is it cost effective to do that? Although I once saw a guy in a gas station when the prices had dropped and he had a pick-up with a 32 gallon rubbermaid Brute container in back, lined with what looked like some kind of heavy plastic. He filled it up and had the cover rigged with bungees to it which hooked to the bottom. Talk about a rolling death trap!

I have two work days per month down there. I don't haul the fuel. The marine grade with no ethanol is the good old stuff. Everything runs better.

Fuel Type

I use the 87 in my tank the manual suggest that, but every 5th tank I use the good stuff. the bike is just the same on it, but the high octane has additives in it that will clean as it burns and is also great for cleaning the injectors.

The cheapest gas I can find, usually that's a large bean burrito with Hatch green chilli's from Chuy's.

I saw gas at $3.23 a gallon in Houston (Webster) today.

Sent from my MB508 using Tapatalk

The cheapest gas I can find, usually that's a large bean burrito with Hatch green chilli's from Chuy's.

I saw gas at $3.23 a gallon in Houston (Webster) today.

I'm with you on the cheapest gas that meets the octane requirements of my car or bike.

That is cheap, but I guess you guys have your own gas and refineries down in TX or maybe the gas taxes are lower there.The cheapest around here right now is $3.41/gal.

Back