Recommendations on grips to help with vibrations

I went for an 90 mile ride yesterday and the vibrations were pretty annoying. It was a state road, speeds generally between 55-75 mph. The gloves I chose to wear yesterday were pretty thin, not golf glove thin but no padding in the gloves. Since getting the bike in late December 2009, I have not had a chance to ride it very far because of the weather so this was the first ride of any length. My commute to work is only 20 minutes so the vibrations don't bother me when the ride is shorter. I looked a a few threads dealing with handlebar vibrations and have decided to get some new grips (most of the other threads were discussing lead shot and rubber mounts for the handlebars). I have a 2008 FZ1 and would like to hear about grips you have tried to deal with getting too many not so "good vibrations". If the grip change alone won't solve the problem that would be good to know also.

I have an '08 as well and my hands are generally very susceptible to vibes. I actually went to thinner grips because my grip heaters never got hot enough...so I'm going in the other direction. Have you synched your t-bodies lately ? The bars on gen II's are rubber mounted so that's how I'm able to use stock/thinner grips. I got my bike in January of this year and it did need some t-body adjustment.. I haven't gone a really long ride with my new grip arrangement yet but if anything changes I'll post up, you could also go with foam grips as they soak up vibes pretty well if it's a problem beyond t-body synch and anything else causing excessive vibes.

I posted about this on the other board, but visit your local bmw dealer, ask them for the open ended ribbed grips. They last a long time, and have a much better feel than any other grip i've used before. Cost ~$20 for the pair.

I had these on after having the bike for less than a day.

I have an '08 as well and my hands are generally very susceptible to vibes. I actually went to thinner grips because my grip heaters never got hot enough...so I'm going in the other direction. Have you synched your t-bodies lately ? The bars on gen II's are rubber mounted so that's how I'm able to use stock/thinner grips. I got my bike in January of this year and it did need some t-body adjustment.. I haven't gone a really long ride with my new grip arrangement yet but if anything changes I'll post up, you could also go with foam grips as they soak up vibes pretty well if it's a problem beyond t-body synch and anything else causing excessive vibes.
No, I have not done a synch of the t-bodies, I will check into it though, thanks for the hint.

Only time I notice vibs is if I'm catching strong wind from the side. I have a YZ bar without end weights, lowered with pro taper mounts. All mods. The E map from Ivan really smoothed things out, but I can't remember vibs prior to the mods, but doesn't mean vibs weren't there, as I came from years of hard dirt crud, (I mean dirt riding everyday. Property backed up to Trinity National Forest). Meaning, asphalt feels like way smooth to me. Even the most bumpy stuff.

I buy several dirt bike grips at a time, all kinds, and really don't notice any difference between gel or whatever, but they all seem to wear out fast.

Your bike is new? I know mine came with Pilot Road and those are way hard. Could be the vibs right there, but I don't know. Try the regular powers. Safer and for sure way less vib stuff is my guess. And you're probably running full pressure. What's your weight suited up?

Last edited by a moderator:
Only time I notice vibs is if I'm catching strong wind from the side. I have a YZ bar without end weights, lowered with pro taper mounts. All mods. The E map from Ivan really smoothed things out, but I can't remember vibs prior to the mods, but doesn't mean vibs weren't there, as I came from years of hard dirt crud, (I mean dirt riding everyday. Property backed up to Trinity National Forest). Meaning, asphalt feels like way smooth to me. Even the most bumpy stuff.

I buy several dirt bike grips at a time, all kinds, and really don't notice any difference between gel or whatever, but they all seem to wear out fast.

Your bike is new? I know mine came with Pilot Road and those are way hard. Could be the vibs right there, but I don't know. Try the regular powers. Safer and for sure way less vib stuff is my guess. And you're probably running full pressure. What's your weight suited up?
The bike has 2200 miles on it.
The tire pressure is: front 42 psi and the back is 45 psi, which are full pressure for both.
They are the stock tires that came on the bike, cannot remember off the top the make and model of them.

I weigh about 175 and suited probably like 185 I am guessing.

The bike has 2200 miles on it.
The tire pressure is: front 42 psi and the back is 45 psi, which are full pressure for both.
They are the stock tires that came on the bike, cannot remember off the top the make and model of them.

I weigh about 175 and suited probably like 185 I am guessing.

I am your weight, slightly more, but way heavier with the gear. 205/210 with all gear, depending upon weather.

Bike is stripped down, full system, which is probably 15 pounds less than stock (graves), no center stand; no pass pegs; etc.

With the powers I normally run 28/28. Grip is excellent. I sometimes let the psi go lower, but not lower than 25. I know the loop and know the pot holes locations.

Get the powers, the regular ones. If you are just getting use to the bike, they may last about 4/5k miles, but they're are waaay safer than tour tires all around.

You'll notice the soft 'tiger paw' feeling with the powers right away. You may kinda not want to waste your new tires, but we're talking BIKE here, not cages. Ya know.

Does anyone have recommendations for grips that help with vibration other than the foam ones which I would like to stay away from because I don't think they will last very long?

are you gellin' ?

Does anyone have recommendations for grips that help with vibration other than the foam ones which I would like to stay away from because I don't think they will last very long?

They have "Gel" grips now that should have a much longer lifespan than foam, I know what you mean about the foam grips lifespan. I have not had personal experience riding with them but have sat on bikes with gel grips and they feel very cushy and are nice and grippy.

I went the following route. It has helped allot. I can drive about three times as long before my hands get to the same discomfort level.

http://www.998cc.org/forum/how-tos/7068-lead-weights.html

You may also want to try a Cramp Buster. That worked great for me until I changed grips. It did not work with my D3 grips.

Other things to try that I have heard of:
* Bar Snake Similar to lead solution.
* Use Spray Foam insulation inside the Bar - May be messy
* Lead shot - possibly better contact area than my solution above.

Thanks, I read that thread before I posted, I was hoping to get away with just replacing the grips ;)

I went through several grips and nothing seemed to make a difference for me. Yes, I added 2lbs. in weight but I did go ahead and remove my center stand which was a bit more than 2lbs.

You worried about replacing grips? Just cut off the old ones and safety wire the new ones. Remember the throttle grip is fatter than the clutch grip. If you're gonna ride a lot, you'll get use to new grips in no time.

You worried about replacing grips? Just cut off the old ones and safety wire the new ones. Remember the throttle grip is fatter than the clutch grip. If you're gonna ride a lot, you'll get use to new grips in no time.
Not worried about it, there are just so many grips out there, I wanted input on grips that others found to be effective.

not tried them, but never heard anything negative about the rizomas, other than they are priced up there.

Back