Right forum for a hauler? It is traveling....

FZ1inTX

Adminstrator
Wanted to share with you the hauler I put together this spring for our trip to Deal's Gap in May. Most of it was done here, but we modded it in TN before coming back to NH.

This is a new Holmes 6'x10' utility trailer with a 48" ramp. These are very sturdy trailers, not the run of the mill angle iron jobs you see at HD and Lowes. In NH, I put in the Haulmaster wheel chocks and the front and rear (centered) D rings. In TN, before leaving, I found a great deal on a truck box that was locking and water proof. It is a great storage locker for the cycle gear, tools, etc. We added shackles to the four corners so we didn't have to tie to the rails. This was the FZ6 and the V Star that we traded in shortly after returning from the Dragon for the FZ1 and FZ6R so I don't have pics of the new bikes on the trailer yet.

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

Nice setup :drools:

I'd love to have it so that I could tow behind to my construction site in Tuba City, AZ so I could head off after the meetings and hit the twisties by the Grand Canyon and Lake Powell.

Now you just need the updated bikes on there....

Adam

Nice. We use an enclosed trailer, but only fit 2 bikes in it. Thinkinga about getting a trailer like you have just a little bigger. Where did you get the wheel chocks? Also how did the Tacoma handle the mountains pulling the bikes?

Nice. We use an enclosed trailer, but only fit 2 bikes in it. Thinking about getting a trailer like you have just a little bigger. Where did you get the wheel chocks? Also how did the Tacoma handle the mountains pulling the bikes?

If you can find a Holmes dealer, check out their trailers first. For the money, I couldn't find a better made trailer. They offer a lowered on for a couple hundred more. The FZ1 and FZ6 have no clearance issues riding up the ramp, but her V Star would drag so that one had to be walked up, not ridden. The 6'x14' would easily hold 4 bikes. The only thing I don't like is it is a bit heavy. But the same thing in aluminum was a heck of a lot more cash!

The chocks came from Harbor Freight. - Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices and they are $10 cheaper than when I bought them! The bikes stand up in them all by themselves so you can pull in and then get off, tie them down without any help.

The Taco struggled a bit through the mountains but I was pushing it hard on the way there. On the way back, I went easy on her and pi$$ed off some truckers by drafting them through the mountains. BTW, tankers get you the BEST MPG over a box trailer! ;) On the way down? Average MPG was 10.8. On the way home, drafting whenever possible and relaxing the throttle, average was 12.7 MPG. We're considering a used diesel full size as a possible addition for towing.

Next plan is to create a system that will allow some type of locking release for the chocks, allow them to adjust to a few positions and a release system for the truck box as well, than I can use the trailer for all utility work as well without a major effort of unbolting everything.

Thanks alll!

Yea I thought the little "Taco" would struggle a bit. We have gone up there with F-350 diesel - Never knew the trailer was back there. Lincoln LT with Rousch engine (that is another story) - Not bad but could really tell the difference. This year was a brand new - 17 miles when we hooked trailer to her F-350 V8 gas. Pulled real nice. Kept feeling a wiggle on way up. All was tight, air in tires etc. Pulled out to leave and 20 minutes down the mountain the tire on trailer blew. Put on the spare and the wiggle was gone. Sad part it was a brand new tire and rim bought at Wally world.

Was that a defective tire or did it hit something? This trailer came with bias ply tires but when they need to be replaced, I'm going with new rims and radials.

While it struggled on the uphill, it still pulled fine. If I had it at 75 before the hill, I'd be at 60 - 63 at the top of the worst ones without making it grunt, holler and scream.

I have to start looking next year for a decent used diesel. :D

OK... funny (or not) story tonight. Oldest son comes over to use my weights and heavy bag for training. Mostly done, he has his roommate come over to give him a ride home. Ryan, the roommate, has a Jeep Wrangler. He comes in and shoots the sh*t with me and my wife waiting for my son, Larry. When they are ready, we ask them to run to the store for us. They leave and about 10 minutes later there's a knock on the door. Larry and Ryan are standing there and he says "Funny thing happened..." My wife and daughter take a look..... They call to me... "You might want to come see this!"

Ryan's emergency brake doesn't work. So, I look out and see the ass-end of his Jeep with the rear bumper against my front passenger tire. There's NO sign of the trailer! Apparently he left the Jeep in neutral and it rolled after he came in. It rolled right into the front of the trailer, pushed it over the bank where it hit a tree with the ramp, and then the Jeep went over and landed against the tongue jack!

He was able to put the Jeep in 4 wheel drive and back it up over the bank. The trailer was a fight. No wheel at the front and no way to hook on to lift AND pull it up the bank. So, we put a 2x8 under the bottom of the tongue jack and I hooked a tow strap to the tongue. Wasn't working... the bottom of the jack was dug in hard. I tried cranking it but the jack was bent, bent bad! Both top AND bottom of the jack is totaled. So, I dropped the three bolts holding it and took it out. This allowed the tongue the rest on the board and slide up the bank. Slowly, we got it up over, then placed an old broken coleman cooler under the tongue so we didn't rip up the tar and dragged it the rest of the way out. After inspection, it appears that the ONLY damage was the loss of the tongue jack. Ryan is paying me for it as I will go pick one up tomorrow at the dealer where I bought the trailer.

I didn't get pics... it was and still is raining out there and the digi isn't waterproof. I will get a pic of the jack tomorrow though and you will see how it saved a trailer as well as held back a Jeep.

My wife praised me for how well I handled it. I'm not known for holding back when people do stupid things. Guess I'm getting old and more tolerant. Ryan is thankful! :D

Last edited:
Was that a defective tire or did it hit something? This trailer came with bias ply tires but when they need to be replaced, I'm going with new rims and radials.

While it struggled on the uphill, it still pulled fine. If I had it at 75 before the hill, I'd be at 60 - 63 at the top of the worst ones without making it grunt, holler and scream.

I have to start looking next year for a decent used diesel. :D

Diesels pull like no other -- I've had two and access to one when needed. But the gas mileage....that is what forced (as if I had to be held at gun point) to get the FZ and trade in the truck b/c it was killing me. Plus, I've become more of an electronic pusher of construction instead of being out in the field using it as it should.

but when you are paying 4+ for gas, be thankful for the FZ's. I've got a motorhome with 150 gallon tank that gets 3.4mpg. Guess things could be worse....and that could be my daily driver.

Adam

To go with the story two posts up, here's the ONLY damage. The kid got away lucky because the jack was only $35 so I told him $35 and a case of Sam's Summer and all is forgiven!

Here is where it ended up, right up against this tree to the right.
attachment.php

Here's a couple shots of the old and new jack. There's a couple creases in the dirty one... having a bit of a hard time getting it retracted.
attachment.php

attachment.php

View attachment 461

View attachment 462

View attachment 463

I think it must have been a defective tire. We felt it almost immediately, but could not see anything wrong with either tire. We got tires and rims from Wally World. It was cheaper than getting just tire from tire store.

Be careful about the tires. Really need to be trailer tires. 6 ply.

No more wally world tires for me.

Back