Rizoma Handle Bars

Bluey

Just had my Rizoma handle bars fitted. Very happy with the end result. It gives a very comfortable riding position and looks great.

attachment.php

And the grips look and feel awesome.

attachment.php

The only thing is the guys who installed them rerouted the throttle cables over the top of the brake lever to avoid to much stress on the cables. The Rizoma handle bars are wider than stock and they did shorten them a little.

attachment.php

I'm not sure that I am too happy with this. The switch block and throttle housing is a little further away from the brake reservoir than normal to allow the throttle cables to clear the brake reservoir. This means the brake lever doesn't quite line up with the grip like it used to.

Has anyone else mounted these bars and maybe have some tips as to how to get the best result.

Bluey, I've just looked at my stock bars and the throttle cables are mounted under the switch block. I think they have mounted your's wrong. I reckon if you mount them under the switch block as per the standard factory set up you will be able to slide the switch block closer.

The bars do look great though!!

Bluey, I just fit the exact same set up to my bike this week. The only difference is I have the black bar ends.

I fit my throttle cable as per the stock position, under the bar. I left the bar length as it came from Rizoma.
It didn't seem to be too stressed that way?

I'm loving the bars, the extra leverage is awesome to quickly get your bike cranked over and the grips and bar position feel great.

If you need a hand adjusting it how you want just give me a call and we can meet up one day?

Last edited:
Bluey, I've just looked at my stock bars and the throttle cables are mounted under the switch block. I think they have mounted your's wrong. I reckon if you mount them under the switch block as per the standard factory set up you will be able to slide the switch block closer.

The bars do look great though!!

Thanks for checking for me PK1 but the throttle cable were deliberately routed over the top to supposedly put less stress on the cables. I don't see it myself.

Ballmead said: If you need a hand adjusting it how you want just give me a call and we can meet up one day?

Thanks Ballmead I might take you up on that. Maybe you could post a pic of yours, I'd be especially interested to see how close your clutch and brake lever clamps are to the bend in the bar were the 22mm section ends and the taper starts. Is the FZ1N handle bar set up any different to the FZ1S?

maestrolb said: I second that - I've had my Rizomas with 60mm risers, bar ends and sportline grips for over 8 months now. They changed this bike for me!

Thanks maestrolb I've got the 60mm risers too. I do like what I've got but I've just got to tweek it a bit to get it right.

Thanks guys!

Thanks Ballmead I might take you up on that. Maybe you could post a pic of yours, I'd be especially interested to see how close your clutch and brake lever clamps are to the bend in the bar were the 22mm section ends and the taper starts. Is the FZ1N handle bar set up any different to the FZ1S?

I'll take some pics this weekend and post them in this thread.
Like I said before, it's not a hassle if you want to come around here and we can tweak them to how you like.
BTW the FZ1N is the same as your set up, only difference is my mirrors mount on the clutch and brake mounts. You probably have plugs in the holes on the fared version.

Thanks Ballmead. I see you have what looks like the HEL full length brake lines on the front brake. The stock brake lines on mine may cause an issue. I have decided to get the setup right and have ordered another set of Rizoma handle bars (I can't stand the thought of my bars being full of superfluous holes). They will probably take 2 weeks to get here. In the mean time I can still ride the bike as is and maybe think about installing the HEL lines myself. If you don't mind I can still give you a call just to have a look and eyeball the setup. I don't want to get it wrong twice.

Yeah mate I have the HEL brake lines so the extra few cms help a little.
Having said that I have read many posts on this and other forums where they had no issues with the stock brake lines with the Conical bars and 60mm risers.
No problems with having a look for yourself so give me a call and we'll tee it up.

Well I couldn't take the throttle cables being routed over the top of the brake lever. So the next day I rerouted them to where they should be.

attachment.php

That was much better. But I was not happy with the extra holes drilled in the bars and decided to replace them with a new set. Ballmead was also kind enough to let me go around to his place and have a look at his installation. His bike looks even better in the flesh, nice job.

I was also not too happy with the Sport Line grips. The inner section is painted metal and does not offer the same grip as rubber. Also the inner section of the grip has a narrow section formed into it where the thumb and forefinger go. For me this proved to be uncomfortable. So I ordered the Rizoma Lux grips as well as the new handle bars.

Well the gear finally turned up and I installed them myself last weekend. After seeing Ballmeads bike I decided not to reduce the length of the new bars as had been done on the first attempt. Funny thing is when I put the old "cut" bars next to the new "uncut" bars they look the same length anyway.

attachment.php

(The new bars are the ones on top)

I don't get it??

The installation of the new bars and grips went smoothly and I was able to set them up just how I want. I am very happy with the result.

attachment.php

I guess the moral of the story is that you are better off doing the mods yourself if you can. I'm not saying the guys I paid to do the job the first time didn't do a good job they just didn't do it how I wanted. Murphys Law: if there's two ways to do something they'll do it the opposite to what you want. Also there is a lot of satisfaction in doing it yourself.

PS. I didn't like the Sports Line grips myself, but that's just a personal thing. If there are any Aussies that would like to give them a go drop me a PM they're yours.

Last edited:
Looks great. I'am stuck with my setup. I now need the stabilizer and I don't like the GPR and I am happy with the current height. So now I can only envy yours. What windscreen do you have?

Looking good Bluey :Rockon:
Did you drill holes in the new bars?
How do you like the new Lux grips?

Yeah I agonised for ages as whether to drill the bars or grind the pins off. In the end I drilled the bars but because the walls are so thick I was able to drill just deep enought to accomodate the pins without going right through the bars.

I love the Lux grips. They are way better for me, of course they cost nearly 3 time as much as the Sport Line grips. Hey that would be another of Murphys Laws wouldn't it?

Back