RK chain tool with DID ZVM2 rivet link??

Will the RK chain tool work with DID ZVM2 links?

I got the ebay version of the KM500 tool. It seemed to work well, but after measuring the expanded or flared end of the link, it was only about .002" bigger diameter than the pin itself. It won't flair it any more because the point is bottoming on the inside of the link pin. I'm not sure if the real KM500 tool is different. I hate to buy one just to find out. Plus the KM500 is for only one type of rivet link. You do get what you pay for....my fault.

Now I'm looking for a good tool that will work on different chains. It looks like the RK tool has different bits to work on different types of links. Right now I'm mainly concerned if it will work on the DID links.

Does anyone have experienced with the RK tool on DID chains? I don't mind spending the money on a good tool if it will work on the DID and other brands as well.

Thanks!

I'm not sure they are all the same. Some brands have a hole in the center of the pin that has to be flared out. Others have a sold pin end that has to be kind of smashed or peened out. That's why some of the chain tools come with different bits to fit the different chain brands.

I have one standard, and one heavy duty... I broke half a dozen pins on the standard one... haven't gotten a chance to play with the heavy duty one yet...

if you order one.. make sure you go ahead and order some extra pins.

I take it the antiquated 'master link' design is not widely used anymore.Is it still an option, and would you consider it on the FZ1? It is considerably easier to deal with?

master-links are still used.. the only chain I know of without a master link is the OEM chain from Yamaha which is an endless chain, and you have to remove the swingarm to install it...

Master links come in 2 main "flavors"... Clip type, or rivet type. Rivet type are the ones you use a chain tool to "mushroom" out the top of the head.. A clip-type has flat pins with grooves in them for the clip to rest in... basic rule of thumb is... if you have a chain with a clip-type link, throw that link away and get one with a rivet link.

master-links are still used.. the only chain I know of without a master link is the OEM chain from Yamaha which is an endless chain, and you have to remove the swingarm to install it...

Master links come in 2 main "flavors"... Clip type, or rivet type. Rivet type are the ones you use a chain tool to "mushroom" out the top of the head.. A clip-type has flat pins with grooves in them for the clip to rest in... basic rule of thumb is... if you have a chain with a clip-type link, throw that link away and get one with a rivet link.

+1 those clips are great for dirt bikes but I would never want to use them on a street bike!

Back