Rotor upgrade

Morning all.
Any UK owners on here that have done the flywheel/rotor replacement?
Just wondering where you bought it from.
Obviously I won't be paying Fowlers £800 for the upgraded one, (no idea how they've come up with that price), so what other options are there?
The RMstator comes highly recommended but so do some others at a lot less money.
What are your experiences please? Looking online I really can't see any physical difference between one that might be £200 and one at £75.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Hi Ian,

Recently done mine. I went cheap... Auction site beginning with 'E' - search "Magneto stator FZ1"£64.99

I have to admit, it was hard work getting it on; Basically there was a tolerance clash between the internal and external diameters (See attached). It didn't want to seat in the gear at all really. It went in after a bit of luck? We had trouble with emery cloth / stones as the part IS hardened.

If you have access to a fly press, buy one, you'll be fine. Remember the rotor and that gear are supposed to be engaged and move as one, so it doesn't matter if it's tight as long as it fits; It rotates on bearings, as does the stator.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Glen

Attachments

• FZ1 Stator.png
    FZ1 Stator.png
    143.4 KB · Views: 5
Hi Ian,

Recently done mine. I went cheap... Auction site beginning with 'E' - search "Magneto stator FZ1"£64.99

I have to admit, it was hard work getting it on; Basically there was a tolerance clash between the internal and external diameters (See attached). It didn't want to seat in the gear at all really. It went in after a bit of luck? We had trouble with emery cloth / stones as the part IS hardened.

If you have access to a fly press, buy one, you'll be fine. Remember the rotor and that gear are supposed to be engaged and move as one, so it doesn't matter if it's tight as long as it fits; It rotates on bearings, as does the stator.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Glen
Thanks for this Information Glen.
Yeah I was looking at the very same item on the same website, just wondered what other owners' experiences were.
I've watched several videos on Youtube and the replacement looks fairly easy to fit, maybe the "tightness" on the cheaper rotor could be down to machining tolerances not being as exact as the more expensive rotor?
All the videos show the parts as a a sliding fit once everything is lined up but it's good to know that the cheaper part does the job even if it does need a bit of persuasion lol.
I think even the more expensive RMstator part is manufactured in China as well.
WIll let you know how I get on.

Regarding the RM stator, I had the same thoughts. Just an import and mark-up job. I found some reviews for the RM stator, stating a similar difficulty fitting. You might get lucky with the tolerances, so fingers-crossed.

PS It will take a couple of weeks to get to you, I remember being hopeful of it arriving same week and fitting it over the weekend; It turned into the next one : )

Hi Ian,

Hope that helps

Cheers

Glen
How did you know it was from a '15 though?

How did you know it was from a '15 though?
Oh, I know you know this lol; The new one has the press fit sleeve holding the magnets in place? You can tell if it's a bunk original one. Good point though, we're all assuming you've got an older, pre 2015 model Ian :)

Oh, I know you know this lol; The new one has the press fit sleeve holding the magnets in place? You can tell if it's a bunk original one. Good point though, we're all assuming you've got an older, pre 2015 model Ian :)
No i dont, i almost bought a 08 but the battery was dead when i went to get it. 2 days later got my 05 so i didnt get too deep into gen2's.

Back