RPM Shift Point around town?

Sactown2008

I like to shift at 4k while commuting 7 miles to work. Some say I am lugging this beast. What are your favorite RPM shift points?

After a year I can do this by sound.

I shifted at 8,000rpm twice getting on the freeway, but OMG, it's screaming.

(I'll bet the engine last allot longer not going anywhere near 12,000rpm)

:rmwl:

Whatever you feel most comfortable with. The engine isn't making peak power at 4000 RPM but you're certainly not lugging it. Ride how you want to ride :yes:

With my MIVV I don't typically wick it up beyond 6-7k commuting......unless someone pisses me off and I need to prove a point. Kinda like when a lady throws her butt out the window and it hits my bike. That demanded a close pass at above 10K RPM with her window open. I hope her ears are still ringing.

75mph in FIRST rpm

Depends on the town's speed limits. I easily surpass those in first gear and below 5K when it's only 20 or 25 mph.

ONE TIME I hit 75 in first gear on NB I-5. My Leo Vinci 4 into 1 was so loud I was too afraid to look down at the tack as I raced through to 6th gear. Talk about "One Pissed Off Hornet."

:embarrased:

These bikes are so d*m fast.

:unworthy:

Omg!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph0SjLC_lqk]THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH♛✔ ★HD★ 322kmh-200mph Street Race ✔ 'ISLE of MAN' TT - YouTube[/ame]

I am sure you have all seen these Isle of Man videos, but DANG. How long did it take to develop the skills to go 160mph+ on "City Streets"?

It defies understanding. I think I am addicted to watching these documentaries. :wtf:

I thought of this last month going 90 up hill on EB Hwy 80, passing 3-4 big rigs, "How on earth does someone ride a bike at the Isle of Man?"

They must just be born with something that allows them to zone out anything but what is a mile "down the road."

:thewave::thewave::thewave:

With stock gearing, 75 in first gear would be about 10,600 RPM.

Whether you are "lugging" the engine depends on how much throttle is being applied. You could shift at 2,000 RPM without lugging the engine IF, you just barely moved the throttle off idle, BUT you could never get anywhere doing that. 4,000 is a reasonable number.

I feel/hear the need to shift around 6000 rpm and try to cruise at around 4000 rpm. I like 6000 because if I want to go WOT and keep going its right at the start of the power curves sweet spot. I've been messing around with cruising at 3000 rpm but find the throttle is sluggish in response if I want to get moving

In town I find the sweet spot for riding along is about 3K RPM. With the Yosh R-77 it has a really nice tone right about there if I'm feathering the throttle. As soon as the noise gets crappy I shift to put the tach back at 3K. As for the higher range: find the space (track or private road) to hit some redline shifts. You'll be doing almost 100MPH at 12K RPM in first, but the sound is magical. You will have dreams about that sound and want to let the tach run up whenever you have the opportunity. I often accelerate to highway speed in first and then loaf it through the rest if the gears just to make a bit of that beautiful noise.

THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH♛✔ ★HD★ 322kmh-200mph Street Race ✔ 'ISLE of MAN' TT - YouTube

I am sure you have all seen these Isle of Man videos, but DANG. How long did it take to develop the skills to go 160mph+ on "City Streets"?

It defies understanding. I think I am addicted to watching these documentaries. :wtf:

I thought of this last month going 90 up hill on EB Hwy 80, passing 3-4 big rigs, "How on earth does someone ride a bike at the Isle of Man?"

They must just be born with something that allows them to zone out anything but what is a mile "down the road."

:thewave::thewave::thewave:

And just think those are just wee little 600cc machines too!

I finished breaking in my fz1 recently but i was bringing it up to 5k rpm during that time probably go a little higher now, my other bike is a zx10r and i usually shift at 6k rpm during casual riding and 9k-redline during spirited riding, p.s revving sportbikes/sport tourers near redline wont hurt them if u do it occasionally it actually helps them it gets rid of the carbon build up, i have had 4 bikes in my 8 years of riding with 3 of them having been ridden more than 30 thousand kilometers most of them being spirited riding and i never had an engine problem.

Back