Rubber inserts for passenger pegs

Adrenaline Junkie

Finally got to take my wife for a ride on the new FZ tonight. She loved it but she has one complaint. The right passenger peg is very buzzy at 65 to 70 MPH. Anyone know if there are pegs with rubber inserts on the aftermarket or if some pegs from another bike will work. I read all of the titles in the Gen II mods section and read several of the threads but couldn't find anything. I appolagize if this has already been discussed and I just didn't find it.

Roy

My 2005 has the rubber rear pegs? They ought to work, they also are weighted against vibration. I wonder if their not the same mounting type design.

My 2005 has the rubber rear pegs? They ought to work, they also are weighted against vibration. I wonder if their not the same mounting type design.

Well that is probably the answer. I couldn't find real good closeups of the passenger pegs, but the attached pictures give you an idea. I don't see why the Gen I pegs wouldn't work on the Gen II bike.

Calipers

Well that is probably the answer. I couldn't find real good closeups of the passenger pegs, but the attached pictures give you an idea. I don't see why the Gen I pegs wouldn't work on the Gen II bike.

Maybe someone could put a set of calipers on their pegs from each Gen. and record the numbers for comparison. I have a digital caliper that I use for chain adjustment, etc. I will measure up the Gen 2. post back in a bit.

OK here they are in inches;
Inside measurement of bracket, hole to hole measured at front edge with peg folded up: .81 inches
Bracket depth: 1.07 inches
Center of pin to front edge of bracket: .54 inches
center of pin to bottom edge of braket: .51 inches

According to those measurements a front footpeg should fit the rear bracket and they (gen 2) have a very cushy rubber.

Why not test fit the front pegs in the rear brackets and if they work, buy a set and problem solved. A happy wife/ passenger = happy husband/ Pilot.

Last edited:
Adrenaline Junkie

Although my wife has her own bike and rarely rides on the back of mine, I still wanted rubber padded passenger pegs. I found some info on one of the FZ forums that the Yamaha FJR passenger pegs fit perfectly on the Gen II FZ so I ordered all of the FJR passenger peg components. Total cost brand new for the left and right side was $72.31 plus about $15 shipping.

The only thing I was unsure of is if I needed to order the bolts that hold the pegs to the peg mounts, or if I could just use the ones already on the FZ1. If time permits I might try to go out to the garage Sunday and install the FJR pegs. If not, I will definitely be getting to that project sometime soon.

$72 is a bit pricey just to get rubber padded pegs, but I figured it isnt much more than typical aftermarket pegs cost. The best part is that the FJR rubber pad matches the FZ1 pad exactly (just not as thick), so it looks like a factory option!

I will take pics when I bolt the new pegs on and let you know how the project goes. Hopefully I wont need the FJR passenger peg bolts, or I'll be delayed while I await the arrival of the bolts.

Trip to a local hardware store can usually fix most problems for most common metric bolts as opposed to ordering online or going to a local shop.....

Thanks everyone. I'm guessing the front peg for the Gen II won't have the little detent to make it stay in the UP position, but I will check it out. If that won't work I'll order up a set for an FJR.

Again, thanks to everyone,

Roy

Thanks everyone. I'm guessing the front peg for the Gen II won't have the little detent to make it stay in the UP position, but I will check it out. If that won't work I'll order up a set for an FJR.

Roy

Roy,
That is exactly the issue that I see with using the front pegs. The springs will keep them in the down position all of the time. However, I am not sure how big a deal that is, but anyway I don't think that they would work w/o some modification as the way they mount is different from the rear ones.

As luck would have it I have my front and rear pegs all disassembled since they will be getting powdercoated this weekend. I will post some picture tonight of the front pegs and rear hangers. We'll find out for sure if they'll work or not :D
Tony

I lied... the FJR pads don't match the FZ1 pads exactly. I bought a set of FZ6 pads to replace my FZ1 pads (they are about 1/2 inch less thick) and the FJR pads match the FZ6 pads exactly! Sorry about the mistake!

I did go out to the garage and removed one of the rear pegs so I could compare the FJR parts with the FZ1 parts. The FJR pegs fit perfectly into the FZ1 passenger peg mount, but they have a larger diameter opening than the FZ1 (where the pivot pin passes through). This allows for some play in the peg if you wiggle it around with your hand, but the detent spring and ball still keep the peg pretty sturdy in the up or down position. Drilling out the peg mount holes a bit and using a larger diameter pin or bolt would cure this problem. The FJR parts diagram shows some type of sleeve for the passenger peg pin/bolt, but I am uncertain if the FJR pin/bolt is the same diameter as the FZ1 pin or not, which is why i never ordered the sleeve. If it is the same diameter, then the sleeve in the parts diagram could probably be modified to fit and should eliminate any play in the peg. If I am lucky I can find someone on the forums that has both bikes to verify if the pin/bolt is the same diameter or not before I waste money ordering these sleeves that might not fit. I'd much rather modify the sleeves to fit rather than drill out the peg mounts, so the mod will be completely reversible.

I added some pics for reference. The last two pics show the difference in the diameter.

Simple

Just put a sleeve inside the peg hole and you can use the pin from the FZ. A piece of thin walled steel or aluminum tubing that can be found at most hardware or automotive centers cut to length should do the trick. That would make the Mod totally reversible as nothing would be changed on the FZ except the footpegs.:nerd:

Found some close up pics of the FJR passenger pegs and the bolts are definitely a smaller diameter than the pin used on the FZ1 pegs, so the sleeves they yse would not fit.

I was brainstorming around the house for a simple solution and was going to try using a couple of 9mm shell casings. They are just barely too big to fit through the FJR peg hole, so after I cut the rim off I can cut a seam end to end to allow the case to flex as its pushed into the peg hole. Wouldn't McGuyver be proud of me?

It would probably be easier to find some metal tubing at the hardware store if they have the correct diameter, so I may give that idea a try first.

Roy

Well Roy I took some pictures for you. Here's the deal...based on what I see the front pegs can certainly be modified to fit in the rear. You will need to grind off the rivet holding it on at the pivot point. The rivet looks to be the same diameter as the pin holding the rear peg to the bracket so no problem there. However it's missing the little hole for the spring that pushes up against the detent. You can probably drill one and somehow make it work so that is the only issue I see with attempting this (other than price). Mounting end of the pegs also seem to be the same dimension...

Thank you for all of your effort NJFZ1. My wife would probably like the thiker rubber of the FZ1 peg so I will probably go that route. Now I have to ponder which is more important, thicker rubber or detent spring. The wife will surely vote for thicker rubber while I am leaning toward the FJR peg. Its always something.

Roy

The rubber footpeg pads are all interchangeable. (FZ1, FZ6 and FJR all have the same two hole pattern to attach the pads).

Here is a list of parts you would need if you want to have FJR passenger pegs with the thick FZ1 rubber pads:

Part: 5LV-27431-01, FJR Footrest Rear 1 (quantity x1) $10.23
Part: 5LV-27441-01, FJR Footrest Rear 2 (quantity x1) $11.24
Part: 4BP-27413-00, FZ1 Cover Footrest (quantity x2) $10.96 each
Part: 98580-05014-00, Screw, Pan head (quantity x4) $1.73 each

You can re-use your stock rear pivot pins, detent plates, springs and bearings or buy new ones for a little more money. Plus you would need to fabricate some sort of thin walled metal sleeves to get rid of the little bit of play between the peg and the pivot pin as noted earlier in this thread.

Thank you for all of your effort NJFZ1. My wife would probably like the thiker rubber of the FZ1 peg so I will probably go that route. Now I have to ponder which is more important, thicker rubber or detent spring. The wife will surely vote for thicker rubber while I am leaning toward the FJR peg. Its always something.

Roy

No problem Roy. I guess an even easier solution would be to mount the Gen I rear pegs since they have the rubber on them like the FJR. However, you would need to get confirmation on the pin/bolt diameter. Keep an eye out for any cheap deals on eBay. I'm sure there are plenty of guys out there that replace their stock pegs so maybe you can pick up a set cheap.

No problem Roy. I guess an even easier solution would be to mount the Gen I rear pegs since they have the rubber on them like the FJR. However, you would need to get confirmation on the pin/bolt diameter. Keep an eye out for any cheap deals on eBay. I'm sure there are plenty of guys out there that replace their stock pegs so maybe you can pick up a set cheap.

The "Wolf Tamer" has replaced both front and rear on her Gen 1. Give her a buzz. Maybe she could measure the pegs up and let you know if she would part with them.:fencers:

Why can't anything ever be easy? FJR Passenger Pegs - UPDATE

I discovered today upon installing the FJR pegs with the proper diameter pivot pin (I sleeved the FZ1 pin) there is not enough clearance between the FJR peg and the FZ1 peg mount to allow the pegs to fold up. The FZ1 peg mounts will need the corners rounded off to allow clearance. I'll have to do a little grinding to fix the issue. If you leave the sleeve off of the pin the pegs will fold, however they are a little loose.

I'll add some pics of the before and after once I get a chance to grind off the corners and finish this project.

Back