Running Issues?

this is on a 2003 FZ1, ok so last year this problem happend 3 times total, and today I took my bike out for two seperate rides and it happend again, this is what happens, choke bike to get it running, adjust choke as bike warms up, on occasion have to reset idle speed, no biggy there, hop on the bike to ride goes up to about 3k rpms then acts like its flooding out, total loss of power and 98% of the time the bike dies, if I keep the bike under 3k rpms and ease on the throttle I can ride it about 30-45 mph, but as soon as I get on the throttle even a little bit, it will bog down and die, the problem seems to go away after I ride the bike for anywhere between 20-45 minutes then rides fine the rest of my ride, this weekend im going to lift the tank and inspect the air filter and box for debris and or anything that may have made its way in there and probably replace the filter as well, but I wanted to hear some suggestions on what could be causing this issue, and other things I should look at as well while im taking it apart.

Thanks

is this a job better suited for the shop, or can this be done with some free time on your hands and a couple beers? I would consider myself to be reasonably mechanically inclined.

Thanks

Back