running on two cylinders, advise?

hankhill11

running on two cylinders, advise? and what plugs for 05?

here's the short story, whether any of it is related, i dont know as of yet..

a number of weeks ago i put my AIS kit in from holeshot. all worked very well. rode it to and from work a few days and a couple other 1 to 2 hour rides. No issues. Then the heat wave kicked in and its been sitting in the garage, probably 2 more weeks.

I went to ride to work yesterday, and it started normally... but died after a minute or so. It wouldn't start back up. OK.... my first thought was the fuel was off. sure enough, it was. I haven't got a clue how or why it was off this time, since i dont recall messing with it since the AIS block install. turned fuel on, and started back up. normal so far....

as soon as i pull out of the driveway though, i notice its rough, really rough. and bogging. . . feels weak. about a block or two down the road, things didn't improve so i turned around and swapped for the car. Just for kicks i charged the battery on a trickle overnight, and again tried to ride this morning. Only this time, it was running rough at idle in the garage. i felt the headers, and the right two pipes were cool, not firing.

any idea? I know i will be checking the plugs, but why? can running 'er dry by mistake foul the plugs? god i hope its that simple....

my only other thought was somehow the high temp silicon i used to help seal the block off caps for the AIS somehow seeped down, but given that i rode it at least 150 miles after the install... i doubt it. I guess that's a long store to end up at 'probably spark plugs', but maybe there's something i missed. thanks for tuning in!

TLDR: running on two cylinders, does anyone have spark plug part numbers they use? Also can running fuel lines empty by mistake (petcock off) cause fouling ?

Last edited:
Sounds like bad plugs. The only my bike has a miss is when my plugs are in need of a change. Usually the first sign is during the start up, then when riding you get the bogging/miss.
I seem to get about 8,000 miles out of a set.
My Yamaha Nytro sled is also exactly the same, worse thing you can do is start either the bike or sled and not let it run up to operating temp before shutting it down.

Sounds like could still be a fuel feed issue. Check that the fuel line didn't get crimped when you lifted the tank to turn the petcock and then bolted it back down.

Are the plug boots snapped firmly in place?

How about a coil? I know they are paired but I don't know the pairings.

My plugs don't foul but I have stock jetting and my plugs last forever..........or maybe a bit longer.

I second the "Kinked" fuel line. It doesn't take much to kink it. Lift the tank and prop it up with a piece of wood, then start her up. If she's still stuttering and running rough, then you'll know it's something else.

well, you guys were right. while it wasn't a kinked line ( i wish it was) it was still a fuel feed problem. everything is all good now. the issue was my own stupidity :)

Back