SA tx area riders

S

stormsmack

I notice that the group is growing in the area. we need to organize a meet up and ride. whos in?

I'm in Brownwood - About 3 hrs north of you.
I would like to get together. I work 7 days in a row - then have 7 days off so I have every other weekend off.

Last edited:
Austin area here. If going west we are in the same deal. Depends what you want to ride & for how long? 16 isn't too far to get to from here for starters.

Route?

Austin area here. If going west we are in the same deal. Depends what you want to ride & for how long? 16 isn't too far to get to from here for starters.

Well, you may not want to use 16 if you're coming from Austin as it probably will require you to take I-35 and then go through San Antonio. Not fun.

We usually come back from Austin on 170 (??) through Dripping Springs and then take that 281 dogleg through Johnson City to Fredericksburg. Better roads, less traffic, shorter distance, better scenery. Head straight south from Fredericksburg to Comfort and then cut through Center Point to 173. It's all very well marked and you won't be restricted to guess work.

From Center Point, you can take 173 south to Bandera and back to Medina on 16 or you can just take a right turn after Bandera Pass and go straight to Medina. All are marked.

It's a much more bike friendly route and is less stressful on the pilot who can soak up some scenery and worry less about the kamikazes on the road. I don't know if reading the route seems complicated, but it's not.

this is awesome guys. and I know there are a few that havent chimed in yet. lets volley a date around where we could meet in medina @ the apple orchard grab a burger swap stories and then hit the sisters...

this is awesome guys. and I know there are a few that havent chimed in yet. lets volley a date around where we could meet in medina @ the apple orchard grab a burger swap stories and then hit the sisters...

Sometimes it's nice to miss the other traffic on the most heavily traveled roads, and the most persistent radar, and take a less popular route.

Does anyone ever take 470 out to Tarpley, you can meet at Mac & Eddies, and then head for Utopia and take 1050 (Hill Country Trail) to Rio Frio (between Concan and Leakey) and then ride just a couple of miles north to Leakey?

You can do 335 and 336, stopping for bar-b-q at 2 Fat Boys in Camp Wood, then depart on 337 and you don't ride the same road twice but you do get more variety. And less radar because that Bandera County Constable that monitors the southern route isn't there as consistently as the two that haunt 337.

Regardless of how many times you've been there, a side trip to the Lone Star Motorcycle Museum on the way out is always worth the time if only to go to the Ace Cafe and have a genuine Aussie meat pie. Or a good burger and great fries. It's only a couple of miles north of the Vanderpool junction and Allan Johncock is a really good guy to talk to.

The Constable that monitors eastbound 337 traffic from that heavily shaded grove of trees on the right side just east of Vanderpool must live there. At least he's predictable. Show your appreciation and give him a wave.

Everyone I know goes out and back on 337 and I just like a bit of variety.

Lets agree on a date and then we'll go from there. I'm not planning on blasting thru the hill country as I don't know everyones skill level. if ur planning on dragging knees, ride on ahead.

Lets agree on a date and then we'll go from there. I'm not planning on blasting thru the hill country as I don't know everyones skill level. if ur planning on dragging knees, ride on ahead.

A wise statement and safe. You would expect riders to be mindful and safe as the radar is ever present out there, it's a goldmine for the county, but there are always a few in the group with a tankful of testosterone and a general lack of good judgement that think they are the most likely winners of the Medina Grand Prix.

It's best to let them go on their way.

Last edited:
I've been down once in the hill country and have no plans for a repeat performance. so when this happens, everyone ride ur own ride.

Don't know if you interested in our ride coming up 4/12-16 - not a race, ride your pace. Thread is "Pyro's Twisted Texas..." have room available in Camp Wood Saturday night.

Back