Scala Cardo G9 Power Set

johnnyontherocks

The Cosmic Avenger
I just picked up the Scala Cadro G9 power set. As I learn and become efficient I will do my best to evaluate and explain how it features work. I think the big difference over the G4 is the ability to communicate with 8 people and conference calling. I've only communicated with the wife while walking around the yard. As long as the audio quality holds true while traveling down the road I will be happy with it.

Today I used the units ability to receive FM signals. For the first time in my riding career I had tunes in my ears. At first I thought the volume adjustment was a bit coarse. Then I realized the unit takes over once you start moving and will gradually increase volume as you start moving. In other words your volume level is a base volume for the system to work off of. I might have to figure out how to mount a sub woofer in my helmet as the factory speakers lack bottom end. I really cant complain its a world better than no music at all.

Tonight I configured my bluetooth and VOX(voice activated commands). I will try making some calls on my way home just to test the system. I'm thinking of actually getting a GPS since it suppose to easily connect with the unit.

Once again I will be updating as I learn to work the function and get to use the. If any one has expierence with the unit I'am all ears.

I also picked up the dual-set last week. My first impressions were great as well. I loved the tunes and the ability of picking up my phone calls when I felt like it. Tonight however was the first time I tried the intercom link and for some reason my set went buggy. They refused to link together even though they were supposed to be set by the factory. After I tried several times to link the sets together I finally reset both units and then both units worked, but now the units VOX voice is speaking a foreign language ( no clue which one) even though the set is configured for english. Gave up tonight and plan on calling support tomorrow morning...............

I have the older G4 set and it works fine up to about 75-80 MPH. I never really bothered with the radio, but the Bluetooth for the phone works well enough if you stay under 65 MPH.

I see that based on your comments the ability to easily link the units still hasn't been resolved. That's really my biggest gripe with the G4. Sometimes they will link right away and other times they are a PITA and you end up saying...:wtf:

I have the Sena SMH10 and can't live without one. Phone, music, intercom, GPS directions. Volume is pretty loud. I keep it at max as I wear earplugs so it could be a little higher. I always had music while riding but this is the best investment so far. And it works fine into the triple digits. The Senas are a little better than Cardo. Sena makes equipment for the military, so that says something.

I will point out 2 things that I really like so far. 1) Bluetooth streaming of Pandora. The down side to music.I was pulled over 3 times on Sunday, luckily no tickets. No more Slipknot for me.

I havent really instructed my wife on the workings of the headset. Today when she went into misc. ramblings I would just switch over to music. She has yet to figure out how to reverse that process.

Well, its been a week or so I've had the G9 and after the initial difficulties getting the intercom working (figured it out after calling their tech service), the G9 gets a 8 out of 10. The sound quality is decent, the vox commands get better with practice, the radio and music functions are fun to have especially when driving on long stretches but the intercom feature is the best. It has a mile (doesnt work to well when you lose line of sight) long degree of reception which is quite far (we measured it) and the speakers and microphone work great. This is my first experience with a com-helmet and have to say I like it!!
cheers :)

If you guys haven't tried it yet, put some foamy earplugs in when using the G9. My first run with Pandora playing made my ears hurt after a couple minutes, trying to hear the music (which sounds tinny at speed) over wind noise.

I started looking for a way to cut off the speakers and splice in my JVC marshmallow earbuds, but didn't feel like voiding any warranties. Threw in some squishy foam earplugs and went for a ride... feels like having in-ear style earbuds! The bass is much better, I can hear everything and don't have to have the volume near as high, and I don't feel deaf after 15 minutes.

-Off topic-

Hey John, looking to pick up an exhaust in the next couple weeks, riding your bike has spoiled me. Darn you...

Back