Schuberth C3, opinions needed

Dustin

A couple years ago, I tried on the Schuberth C3 at a motorcycle show in Seattle. I loved it. The price scared me away at the time but I am reconsidering it again.

The features & claims the helmet makes are right up my alley. A flip-up would be fantastic for me but all the (cheaper) flip-ups are enormous, flimsy, noisy and just terrible to use. I had an HJC Sy-Max briefly (closeout sale) and it was probably the worst helmet I've ever used. Terrible. I sold it for what I paid after using it for two days and that was that.

So, I'd love to hear some opinions. :dontknow:

Last edited:
Hey Dustin, you have seen first hand how well my helmet preformed when the deer crash tested my Schubreth. I bought a Shoei Neotec a month before and really liked the fit and finish but even tho it is a great helmet it was not as quiet as the Schubreth. I was thinking of selling it to get a Schubreth but now with the hippo's huge wind screen noise is not an issue.

Love the drop down tinted visor in both helmets-great feature!

IMHO Schubreth first if it fits your head otherwise Shoei is a very good helmet.

Spend the big $$, it will be worth it when you wear it for 2 weeks everyday for 8+ hours a day.
You already know what cheap helmets are about.

Your accident got me thinking about the C3 again. It certainly did the job and then some. I like the fact it's so light & quiet and the flip-up feature really is useful, especially for things like fuelling up, crossing the border, shopping, etc.

I've tried it on, once. It was two years ago but I have been contemplating the C3 since then. If the helmet really has long-term quality, I think it might be worth it. My Arai Vector started falling apart after a few years and I was a bit let down considering how much I paid. Mind you, I don't think it was really designed as an every day, all weather helmet in the same sense as the C3. Still, that kind of brand & cost should have meant it didn't pack in and fall apart after a few years.

My Schubreth was at least 5 years old and 60k miles. Worked as good as new, just didn't smell like it.

You know my BMW friend Tom, he has a C3 and loves(quiet,light) it over his older Schubreth. If the Schubreht fits well you can't go wrong.

I will have to try one on again and see if it fits as well as I remember. If it's as comfortable as my EXO-500, I may pull the trigger

I just got $525 from the government due to a reassessment of my income taxes.

Can you post how the fit is, etc?

I had a CL-MAX II and didn't like it. The padding had already begun to break down by 1800 miles and the loosening fit and increased weight I think contributed to my concussion from my crash.

I would like to find another modular helmet but because of the fear of poor quality again I will spend the big money on a nicer helmet this time around. I was looking at the Arai Profile or Signet-Q because I have a XL/XXL head that is longer rather than rounder. My big head fitting was the reason I bought the CL-Max II instead of the Scorpion Exo-900 (my neandrethal jaw couldn't fit in the chin bar, like i seriously couldn't shut it).

I going to do more research on the C3 since you bring it up.

Your best bet is to try one on for yourself. Find a shop that carries them and test it out. Everyone's head is unique and I personally find it pretty difficult to find a helmet that fits perfectly.

I have tried on a lot of different flip up helmets but only the C3 really fit me properly

HJC Symax - Sy-Max Motorcycle Helmet - webBikeWorld
Nolan N103 - webBikeWorld
Shoei Multitec - webBikeWorld
Scorpion EXO-900 - webBikeWorld
Nolan N90 Review - webBikeworld

I've tried all of those & more.

I'm pretty happy with my $170 ECE 22.05 certified EXO-500 but a flip up & a pinlock visor would do me well. A quieter, lighter helmet with a smaller shell is just what I've been looking for

Last edited:
I just got done reading a bunch of reviews on a C3. It sounds like it is good for a normal to round shape head. I have figured i'm a long oval to intermediate oval making my helmet selection probably a little different than yours.

I'm jealous cause the features for the C3 for those that it fits well sound perfect.

I just got done reading a bunch of reviews on a C3. It sounds like it is good for a normal to round shape head. I have figured i'm a long oval to intermediate oval making my helmet selection probably a little different than yours.

I'm jealous cause the features for the C3 for those that it fits well sound perfect.

Try an Arai, it's ok if it is snug in the cheeks as this will be ok once you have broke in the helmet to your head.

Your best bet is to try one on for yourself. Find a shop that carries them and test it out. Everyone's head is unique and I personally find it pretty difficult to find a helmet that fits perfectly.

I have tried on a lot of different flip up helmets but only the C3 really fit me properly

HJC Symax - Sy-Max Motorcycle Helmet - webBikeWorld
Nolan N103 - webBikeWorld
Shoei Multitec - webBikeWorld
Scorpion EXO-900 - webBikeWorld
Nolan N90 Review - webBikeworld

I've tried all of those & more.

I'm pretty happy with my $170 ECE 22.05 certified EXO-500 but a flip up & a pinlock visor would do me well. A quieter, lighter helmet with a smaller shell is just what I've been looking for

What did you actually dislike about the SyMax?

I was actually considering getting it because the CL-Max before the padding wore too much/too quickly it was the best fit of any helmet for my big melon.

I went to my local guy and tried on the C3. While I was doing that, he advised me to wait until our big motorcycle expo in January because they are having a sale on Schuberth. I will see how his prices compare before I order from Europe. I hope he can be somewhat competitive because I would much rather support the local guy as we have been dealing with each other for years. If he's $100 or maybe even $150 off the pricing I can find, I will do it there.

On the helmet: I loved it. It was as comfortable as I remember, perhaps more. It was just 'too snug' enough to reassure me that it will break-in and be perfect. It fits my head perfectly all the way around and all the way down my face. It feels lighter than it is and is very well balanced. The mechanisms and controls all feel of excellent quality. I get the impression it is indeed as quiet as they claim; the neck roll is huge and the chin curtain is very good as well. Etc, etc, etc

I'm sold. Now just to find out pricing

What did you actually dislike about the SyMax?

Everything.

- Enormous shell
- Cheap, scratchy liner
- Heavy
- Drafty through every conceivable place
- Cheap, clunky mechanisms
- Plastic latch for the flip-down portion
- Noisy
- Poor weight balance
- Terrible aerodynamics

Keep in mind, this was the Sy-Max I and there are two new iterations available; they may be better.

Last edited:
I went to my local guy and tried on the C3. While I was doing that, he advised me to wait until our big motorcycle expo in January because they are having a sale on Schuberth. I will see how his prices compare before I order from Europe. I hope he can be somewhat competitive because I would much rather support the local guy as we have been dealing with each other for years. If he's $100 or maybe even $150 off the pricing I can find, I will do it there.

On the helmet: I loved it. It was as comfortable as I remember, perhaps more. It was just 'too snug' enough to reassure me that it will break-in and be perfect. It fits my head perfectly all the way around and all the way down my face. It feels lighter than it is and is very well balanced. The mechanisms and controls all feel of excellent quality. I get the impression it is indeed as quiet as they claim; the neck roll is huge and the chin curtain is very good as well. Etc, etc, etc

I'm sold. Now just to find out pricing

Everything.

- Enormous shell
- Cheap, scratchy liner
- Heavy
- Drafty through every conceivable place
- Cheap, clunky mechanisms
- Plastic latch for the flip-down portion
- Noisy
- Poor weight balance
- Terrible aerodynamics

Keep in mind, this was the Sy-Max I and there are two new iterations available; they may be better.

I was wondering which version you had, the new version is supposed to be fiberglass and address many of those issues.

How much do those C3's go for in canada? This is the only website I found that has them here in the US

Schuberth C3 Helmet - Street Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore

They retail for $770 CAD but my local guy would match the US pricing for sure. They are much more inexpensive in Germany, where they are made. You can find them for €540, including VAT, plus shipping. Buying out of the US or Canada, we are exempt from VAT so there's a 19% savings as well.

A lot of people sell the C3 in the US, you can find them at BMW/Ducati/Euro dealers typically and these online retailers sell them:

RevZilla
SportbikeTrackGear
Motorcycle Superstore

Last edited:
Decision made, helmet is on the way from Germany. $500 total cost and well worth it I should think.

I was having a lot of trouble justifying $700+ for a helmet but I can handle what I paid

You will not regret it I had a Schuberth R1 and still love it, quite, and super comfortable and the integrated sunshield is so handy. Unfortunately I dropped it from the roof of my car and had to replace it (was very worn anyway).

Was difficult to find a right fitting helmet here in the US which was not too expensive. I do not like modular helmets so the S2 or SR1 are much too expensive even in Germany. I finally went with a Bell RS-1 which is a perfect fit for me as the Schuberth and bought their photochromatic visor lets see if this can make up for the missing sunshield.

Unboxing and comparison photos.

Amazing piece of equipment, can't wait to see just how quiet it is. The Pinlock lens is cool and passed the 'hyperventilating test' in my house :)

Back