Scorpion EXO-500

Dustin

ae019fca-d379-47eb.jpg

Just some quick thoughts on the new EXO-500 I'm using...

Pros:
- Excellent build quality, paint quality and quality of vents and snaps
- Lightness and bulk much improved over the EXO-400; nearly the same weight as my old Arai Vector and feels very un-bobblehead..ish
- Excellent quality of liner materials, very plush and very comfortable
- Quite quiet with no noticeable whistles or aero 'booms' when riding (so far)
- I can see the retractable sun shade being useful
- Inflatable cheek pads are useful to me as I like chipmunk cheeks
- Anti-fog is fantastic where I live ;)

Cons:
- The 'EverClear' visor system is still lacking in optical clarity, especially on rainy nights.
- Visor locking mechanism a bit hard to find and a little bit flimsy
- Not Snell certified if that means anything to you. It is ECE certified though.

I'll update with more cons when they come to me.

This thing is excellent value and I think it's better than a lot of more expensive helmets.

I purchased mine from extremesupply on eBay at $170 shipped. Choose the 'Or Best Offer' option and save $30 over everyone else almost instantly

Last edited:
Thanks for the review. I'm always looking at helmets. I tried on some Scorpion helmets the other day, and they weren't too bad. One of the things that seems trivial, but is a huge thing to me for day-in/day-out riding is how big or small the first detent is on the shield. I have a Shoei RF-1100 and I think it's perfect with the first and second detents. I can get the right amount of air for each situation.

The shield system always looks easy when I see it used in videos, but in person, I can't get it to work very easily. I'm sure I'd figure it out over time if I owned one.

Here's WebBikeWorld's review of the EXO-500. Anything you disagree with in their assessment?

That WBW review is spot on I would say. This thing certainly sets the bar for value.

The visor release system can be tricky at first but it is quite easy once you figure it out.

I have attached photos of how the visor vent works via the switch

:hi jack:
I thought this was a tread about the scorpion gps alarm system, any one have it, and reviews? I bought the $10 vibration alarm + horn off of ebay.

i got a exo 1000 2 weeks ago and i love it so far. the only things i dont like is the first click up is huge. id like a smaller one. also the "lock" for it to be open just a crack should be a stop so i can open it at lights and then close it back down to the crack. as it is i have to unlock it the open it. too many steps.

i got a exo 1000 2 weeks ago and i love it so far. the only things i dont like is the first click up is huge. id like a smaller one. also the "lock" for it to be open just a crack should be a stop so i can open it at lights and then close it back down to the crack. as it is i have to unlock it the open it. too many steps.

Does yours not have a middle detent? Mine has lock, normal and open

I have been rocking the Exvo 500 for a few months now and my only complaint is the inner pop down tinted sun visor can fog very easily on colder mornings, but only when I am at a stop, once moving there are no fog issues.

I love the comfort and would recommend the helmet to anyone.

2 months old and falling apart?

I bought a new Sevenzeroseven Backlash Recoil for $199 on sale on 2/19/12. The breath deflector at my lower jaw and the mesh above my forehead keep coming out of their mounts on the inside front near the face shield. I have to put it back together "everytime" I put this helmet on.

I was willing to spend more and the clerk said, "First bike? First helmet? Try this on. It's fine." So I walked out with a new helmet, jacket and gloves.

Somethings on sale are not worth it.

Trading up on Sunday.

:tup:

Thanks for the good review Dustin.
I bought the EXO 1000 a few years ago and so I'm beginning to start the process of looking for a replacement. I flat out LOVE Scorpion. They make good quality products at a great price.
I have gotten so spoiled with the built in visor that I don't know if I can do without it.

I bought an EXO 1000 and I won't go through the steps it took to get one that fit. Order (minimum) 1 size larger. All characteristics are compared to my beloved Bell Star.

Peripheral view is improved, ventilation is not as good, internal sun shade is great but order the optional Dark sunshade as the standard one is useless. More directionally stable when turned off track, internal components of liner appear to be of higher quality but internal airflow(of a very tight helmet) produces very powerful and noisy resonance.

I wear the Scorpion most days as I like the sun visor but I suspect I will be back to the Bell Star when the really warm weather gets here.

Overall? The Scorpion has gimmicky features that I like but the Bell is better thought out and better built.

It's worth noting that the EXO-1000 is an old design from the same generation as my 400. If the leap in quality between the 400 and 500 is any indication of the rest of their new line, I expect the 1100 should be excellent.

As far as fitment, I find that I wear a medium Shoei RF-1000 or 1100 and medium Scorpions but I fit smalls in Arai in the Vector and RX-Q and in various HJC.

In the past, I've owned helmets from M2R, Arai (2), HJC and Scorpion (2).

It's worth noting that the EXO-1000 is an old design from the same generation as my 400. If the leap in quality between the 400 and 500 is any indication of the rest of their new line, I expect the 1100 should be excellent.

As far as fitment, I find that I wear a medium Shoei RF-1000 or 1100 and medium Scorpions but I fit smalls in Arai in the Vector and RX-Q and in various HJC.

In the past, I've owned helmets from M2R, Arai (2), HJC and Scorpion (2).

I think you're right on that. The "new issue" Scorpions are based on entirely new shells and dimensions.

It bothers me though that the retailers have, in many cases, neglected to advise potential buyers of the sizing discrepancies. I shouldn't have had to order 3 helmets to get one that fits when I know my size requirements explicitly.

That is not entirely the fault of the manufacturer, who's size charts were inaccurate, but is more the fault of the retailer who had to know the sizes were way off.

You're right about that sizing thing. I measured my head once and found that it had no relationship with the sizing from any manufacturers.

According to Arai, my measurements should put me in a large but I properly wear a small... lol

I can pick up a cowboy hat, or any quality hat, and know that 7 1/4 or Medium is going to be my size.

I shouldn't have to buy a Medium Scorpion, exchange if for a Large Scorpion and, finally, upgrade to an Extra Large Scorpion; which is only just adequate.

Someone didn't do their homework but I don't want to pay for it.

I scoured the internet and found numerous references to Scorpions being very small in size and I cannot believe that the dealer, Motorcyclegear.com, was unaware of it. Although they professed to be unaware of it.

Be aware of it on the older models, I hope the new model issues correct that.

Agv

Never heard of that brand so I'm glad you're ditching it. What are you getting instead?

Went to CG and traded up my 8 week old "falling apart" helmet for an AGV K4. I did not have the reciept, but they could look up the 2/13/12 purchase right there. The three girls at the counter were looking at me like I pulled it apart myself. It was very funny. They showed it to the manager and he knew exactly what went wrong with this $159 helmet. I'd still be in it, if the inside plastic rivits held up.

The $259 AGV also came with an extra "tinted" face shield. I wore it for a 30 minute ride across town to a B-Day party. It seems lighter than the broken SEVEN ZERO SEVEN helmet, witch I liked.

My biker friends say, "Just bite the bullet and get a Shoei or Arai," but at that $$$ it will have to be a Christmas gift from the whole family.

Nice purchase! Your friends clearly don't know what AGV is. They are fantastic helmets and in the same class as Shoei and Arai. You bought an excellent helmet. :)

The K4 AGV's entry-level helmet. Same quality as you might see from Arai in a Vector or Shoei in a Raid, their entry helmets.

Same Sales Kid

Nice purchase! Your friends clearly don't know what AGV is. They are fantastic helmets and in the same class as Shoei and Arai. You bought an excellent helmet. :)

The K4 AGV's entry-level helmet. Same quality as you might see from Arai in a Vector or Shoei in a Raid, their entry helmets.

Thank you. I ask the SAME young man who sold me the sevenzeroseven two months ago, "What is your opinion of the AGV?"

"Great helmet. I ride AGV. The sevenzeroseven is a piece of cr*p"

:kuku::banghead::rofl:

Did you ask him why he sold you a piece of crap in the first place? That's some horse shit right there.

What's even worse is they charged $160 for that thing and it just fell apart. At least they refunded it!

AGV is what Rossi wears. Different model, but good company.

I really like the Arai RX-Q. Pricey I know, but all worth it to me. I recently picked up one for $449 at Revzilla (now have 2)

I've never tried Scorpion, yet...

Back