Scraping the Peg (The Physics)!!!

My max found

While I have never done the math, and I admire the curious thinking of the OP to actually do it, I did field-testing today, going to meet a friend for breakfast. I don't have feeler pegs on my KTM and they sit higher than the FZ-1 (pretty sure, but I will measure), I dragged my boot on a overpass corner (cloverleaf style exit). I have never before touched a boot down and was a bit taken aback by the sensation. I wasn't trying to get really low or go extremely fast for that matter, I run knobbies after all, and had the balls of my feet squarely on the pegs. I was concentrating on being smooth, looking through the corner and was not leaning off, keeping my knees in tight. It was a right hand-er and being right handed they have always felt more comfortable, but it still surprised me that I was that far over. Might have to up the rear preload a tad.

My fat ass got yelled at yesterday by TWO coaches at Team Promotion for scrapping my pegs through the paint on the apexes of the NY Safety Track.

They said exactly what was said here- body position, body position, body position. They told me to knock it down 10 mph and I'd be smoother through the lines, and as a result faster, through the turns.

While I'm not a third year engineering students, I did graduate from Smoothie King College and I learned- Smoother is better!:rmwl:

BTW, OP- Great work on the math!

Did Brett give you the body position talk.

He was trying to be nice.... That was kinda rude.
: oops:

Want to see some real math? I'd love to impress you :)

I think it's way more rude to get frustrated and "pull rank" , it's also funny at the same time :)

@dustin.. did you received your badge from the Canadian Rude Association Police ? :nerd:

I scraped my left peg the first time over the weekend and was going to post about lean angle then I saw this post last night.

I just read a MotoGP article on tires and the typical lean angles on a super sport for those who race. I was going to ask what our comfortable lean angle is -

I did not realize we do not have a lot of room for a lot of lean. I was traveling no faster then 25 when this happened, I suppose I counter steered to hard while leaning? I am not familiar with more aggressive lean or track style ridding - I have a pretty stout motocross/ woods ridding background though. Of course the black top should never be confused between the two.

With all of that being said, is there a decent article or information on technique for lean/ cornering that anyone has come across? I know technique is more of a development then a mimicry, but simple do's and don'ts would be helpful for some of us (me at least).

thanks

just wanted to see the max lean angle WITHOUT rider and SPEED, being curious...

LOL
I'm about a month late but I couldn't find this pic to save my life. Then when I quit looking for it = I find it. :eyebrow: Typical!!!!

I guess this is what it would look like to scrape the sliders. LOL I have done that once or twice over the years. :D

.../...

Back