Seat Concepts for FZ1

I met with Robert at Seat Concepts. Everything went well. Here are some pics of the prototype foam.

attachment.php

We basically flattened the surface with an addition on the front, and scooped out the back.

attachment.php

Also widened the back with foam added to the 'wings' of the original seat. These bits will be minimized when the cover is pulled tight and stapled.

More views...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Robert estimates two weeks to have the mold made from this prototype, and the cover stitched to fit.

I tried to remember the feel of this prototype as I squirmed and shifted around on my 80 mile ride home. The flatter slope will definitely relieve all the lower back and pelvic stress that the stock seat's angle inflicts. The 'scooped bowl' will give plenty of 'cradled' support.

We also didn't make this seat much higher. The point where the added patch of foam starts is essentially stock height, while the back of the pad is actually lower. This will allow us taller riders to scoot back on the seat and gain some legroom. The narrow shape of the front of the seat will be a smooth slope from the stock edges too, so you shorter riders ought to have no real issues reaching the ground.

Last edited:
I met with Robert at Seat Concepts. Everything went well. Here are some pics of the prototype foam.

We basically flattened the surface with an addition on the front, and scooped out the back.

Also widened the back with foam added to the 'wings' of the original seat. These bits will be minimized when the cover is pulled tight and stapled.

More views...

Robert estimates two weeks to have the mold made from this prototype, and the cover stitched to fit.

I tried to remember the feel of this prototype as I squirmed and shifted around on my 80 mile ride home. The flatter slope will definitely relieve all the lower back and pelvic stress that the stock seat's angle inflicts. The 'scooped bowl' will give plenty of 'cradled' support.

We also didn't make this seat much higher. The point where the added patch of foam starts is essentially stock height, while the back of the pad is actually lower. This will allow us taller riders to scoot back on the seat and gain some legroom. The narrow shape of the front of the seat will be a smooth slope from the stock edges too, so you shorter riders ought to have no real issues reaching the ground.

silas,

Any update on the seat?

Cheers,

MrHix

The prototype is ready. They set this one up with the grip top and carbon fiber textures sides. I requested a smooth black vinyl top for my cover, so I'll be able to compare.

attachment.php

I've been under the weather since Saturday, so I'm not sure I'll get the bike back out to San Jacinto until later this week.

Last edited:
Looks like they are already on the site. I am trying to get a group buy going and they said they would be around $120 each (vs $150).

Cheers,

MrHix

The seat is fantastic.

Robert had set up his prototype with his harder foam. I took it for a spin but found it to be a bit too firm. The shape is great, but the foam "gave" very little.

He set up my version with a slightly softer but progressive foam comparable to the stock seat. Though it gives a bit more readily under acute pressure, it provides good form-fitting support. It's a bit like "Memory Foam" with regard to the progressive compression, but it springs back faster. I like it a lot.

Riding back from San Jacinto I found I wasn't struggling to maintain my position in the saddle. The stock seat slopes forward. This seat is pretty much parallel to the ground.

The wider, scooped rear pan cradles nicely, and I think it'll fit just about any size rider. Robert knows how to shape a seat for a democratic appeal. The one thing this confirmed for me is that I really need to raise and pull back the bars to make this seat position comfortable for my preferred riding position... more upright with more slack in my elbows. But that's another topic altogether.

Arriving at my destination, I jump off the bike and hardly needed a moment to shake out the tension I would get from the stock seat. My lower back was far more relaxed with this saddle.

Regarding height differences, the front of the seat might be a half inch higher than stock, but the "progressive" reaction of the foam gives way so that this didn't affect the distance to the ground. I can still sit flat footed with a slight bend in the knee. I'm 6'2" with a 32" inseam.

Planting my butt firmly in the rear scoop now feels like I'm more centered on the bike. I could even steer with a tilt of my hips because the new foam shape has "wings." The bike feels way more connected to my whole torso. The old seat felt like an apex on with I was tipping around in every direction. This seat has a larger flat surface area, and provides a wider range of seating positions. Can't wait to take it for a canyon run. Maybe tomorrow morning.

Another thing that I couldn't stand with the stock foam was the sharper edges. They would apply too much pressure on the insides of my thighs when standing. The new foam has more rounded edges and gives more easily when you have to put your legs down.

Here are some pics...

Prototype on the bike at the shop...

attachment.php

Final seat at home...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Robert at Seat Concepts installing on my stock pan...

attachment.php

Wrapped with waterproofing layer...

attachment.php

Pulling on the new cover...

attachment.php

Stapled the cover, trimming the excess...

attachment.php

The mold, among others...

attachment.php

Last edited:
So yeah, I highly recommend this seat. I think anyone that's using a Seat Concepts product on any other bike will appreciate the feel of their foam in this application.

The covers are put together really well too. I opted for a smooth vinyl, but I think they'll be offering the grip top too. I personally like to slide around more freely on a sport bike. The grip top keeps your ass firmly planted.

Robert did set me up at no charge since I was the volunteer lab rat, but I just had to send him a few bucks anyway. This mod is certainly worth it, and then some. Seat Concepts saved my ass.

So awesome to hear the great report. I am very happy the seat has the same quality and comfort as the one I have on my WR450. I definitely will be contacting them to see if they can make one for my R1.

Im so excited for you !!

Oldschool,

I have PMed the admin to see how I/Seat concepts can start a group buy on these. No reply yet. Can you help me out?

Thanks,

MrHix

I emailed them to see if they are thinking of doing one for the R1, said not interested at all in sport bikes.

Jmundy: Seat Concepts is a very small operation. They're just getting a foothold in the adventure/dirt market because that's the scene they came up through. Most of the molds and backstock that I saw at the shop is KLR/DR/GS stuff. I chatted with Robert about their niche focus, and it's simply the only way they can maintain business. If they branched out to the sport bike market (which they admit they know less about, and where would be facing more competition) they'd be spreading their production too thin to stay in the black.

But hey, get everyone to support what they're already doing and who knows, in a few years they'll be able to serve a wider audience and different bikes!

Back