Seat removal

I told ya'll I was going to ask some dumb questions.. Can someone tell me how to remove the seat on the 2003 FZ1? I don't have a manual yet and want to have a look. Also, is there a tool kit on this machine somewhere?

Just stick your key in the helmet lock on the right side of the bike and keep turning it clockwise until it stops. Then lift the back of the seat straight up and towards the rear of the bike. Bingo! Your seat is off!

The tool kit should be right where the passenger section of the seat is with a rubber strap holding it down.

Thank you very much. My tool kit is non existent!! I wonder if Yamaha still sells this or if someone can tell me the contents, I can build my own.
Once agian thanks. I never thought to check the helmet lock! duh!! More stupid questions to come, I promise!!

Thank you very much. My tool kit is non existent!! I wonder if Yamaha still sells this or if someone can tell me the contents, I can build my own.
Once agian thanks. I never thought to check the helmet lock! duh!! More stupid questions to come, I promise!!

No problem buddy, thats what we're here for. You could probably search on Ebay for a factory tool kit. Also, place a WTB (Want to buy) ad in the classifieds and maybe you'll get lucky. Tomorrow when I come from work I will lay out my tool kit and snap a photo to post here so you can see what tools come in the kit.

No worries...

The only stupid question is the one you don't ask. :D

Let's see.... Toolkit.... This one will apply to any metric bike. :D

Suzuki GSXR600/750/1000 TL1000 SV650 - Toolkit : eBay Motors (item 300330946748 end time Apr-12-10 19:54:01 PDT)

The problem with these kits are the absense of the spanner wrench to adjust the rear shock preload. The R1 kit has that exact wrench so you should be good to go!

Well....lets see, I uh....got about 2 acres of strawberries that I'v got to get weeded, you any good with a hoe?........serriously the one thing in the tool kit your deffinatly going to need is the spanner and slip-over extention, the rest is pretty basic stuff like a couple screwdrivers, pliars, that kind of stuff. Your best is ebay, as the stuff new from Yamaha would probably cost a Kings ransom, and its of course all marginal in quality, but sufficient for occasional use, but nothing in the 'everyday' sort of durability. *******Well, actually I found the whole kit, ie. bag and tools from www.bikebandit.com for $78.00 for the FZ1 Gen.1 specific. Go to bikebandit, hit OEM (top left), then year, then model, then in search type in 'tool kit' then scroll down to the bottom past the schematics. Note: they are not speciffically shown 'ea.' tool in the contents of the bag, rather only a closed bag is shown. PART # 45 of 'rear fender' schematic, scrolling completly past schematics to the very bottom will bring up menu of pricing.

Last edited:
Well....lets see, I uh....got about 2 acres of strawberries that I'v got to get weeded, you any good with a hoe?........serriously the one thing in the tool kit your deffinatly going to need is the spanner and slip-over extention, the rest is pretty basic stuff like a couple screwdrivers, pliars, that kind of stuff. Your best is ebay, as the stuff new from Yamaha would probably cost a Kings ransom, and its of course all marginal in quality, but sufficient for occasional use, but nothing in the 'everyday' sort of durability. *******Well, actually I found the whole kit, ie. bag and tools from Motorcycle Parts, Motorcycle Accessories ? BikeBandit.com for $78.00 for the FZ1 Gen.1 specific. Go to bikebandit, hit OEM (top left), then year, then modle, then in search type in 'tool kit' then scroll gown to the bottom past the schematics. Note: they are not speciffically shown 'ea.' tool in the contents of the bag, rather only a closed bag is shown. PART # 45 of 'rear fender' schematic, scrolling completly past schematics to the very bottom will bring up menu of pricing.

You sure you want me to weed you're strawberries? My eye's aren't what they used to be. Thanks for the information , I deal quite a bit from Bike Bandit for parts for my 4 XS1100's.

I also remember reading that the folding sparkplug tool is a highly invaluable and 'KEY' tool, that the difficulty changing plugs was increased without this specific Yamaha tool.

Back