Seeking to upgrade to a 1st gen...

Hi all!

I put up my Ninja ZX-6R for sale recently because I'm sick of the clip-ons and want more torque. I have a naked SV650 and love it - but it's my girlfriend's - and want a liter bike with more focus on torque and a handlebar.

A guy contacted me and wanted to swap his '02 FZ1 for my '05, with some cash thrown in. I did some research on those forums and found the Fazer to be attractive. I just want a reliable bike with a handlebar, comfortable area for my passenger, and furious torque/speed. I've never owned a Yamaha before.

The guy says,
"18k miles on it, mechanically mint, very clean, tires good, fluids exchanged every spring, can verify at [fairly reputable cycle shop in Rochester], new fork seals & front brake pads replaced recently, owned it for a few months, was helping a buddy by buying it. Has Stabil in it now as it sits." It has remote leds - Rochester people seem to like putting neon lights and stuff on their bikes because the typical motorcyclist only rides from June - August (I ride whenever it doesn't snow!).

I am very interested in this bike, and the Fazer community seems awesome, (much like the awesomeness of the SV650 community). What should I be looking for? How much do you think this bike is worth? This would be my 8th bike in like 2 years so I'm well-accustomed with bike-hunting.

secN6.jpg

l8mdt.jpg

cLuax.jpg

mWTAs.jpg

78vD3.jpg

Well, it's obviously been down, and it looks like on both sides so I would definitely check those engine cases real good and make sure that nothing is "tweaked" in the front end. The plastics, if you wanted to swap them out are not hard to find as are the engine cases. I'd ask him if the bike was jetted since I see he's got a Muzzy slip-on installed. If it isn't you may want to invest in a jet kit to compliment the exhaust so everything is balanced. I bought my 01' over three years ago with 11,000 miles and near mint condition for $3,600 dollars. You can easily find 01's to 04's in that range now with low miles and in good condition. Factor in what your 05' is worth and see if it adds up for you.

You can see damage on the left side too?

What should I be looking for specifically? I read that the transmission, if it's been abused, can pop out of gear if the engine is put under hard acceleration. Is the engine as sturdy as my Ninja 636 engine?

The engine is rock solid and reliable as hardened steel. As long as the oil is changed to spec you could see past 100,000 miles with no problem at all. I'm sorry, the damage is only to the right side. It threw me off because the bike was facing the opposite way in the photo. Don't mind me and my 50 year old brain cells! With 18K on the clock, the tranny should be good as long as it wasn't abused, and that can only be told by running it up through the gears. The tranny is a bit noisy going into first so don't worry about that. It's not the smoothest of trannys working through the gears and the motor is not the quietest that you've ever heard so don't sweat that either, unless of course you hear valves knocking or something. Just keep in mind that at 26,000 miles you have the valve inspection due which nine times out of ten they are all within spec. It's one of those necessary evils in you will. Usually costs about $300 if all is good and a little extra if they need to add shims.

I picked up my 02 Silver FZ1 in September with 16,500 miles on it. Already at 19,200 and love the thing, tons of power, good mileage, and perfect for my daily commute! Best of luck!

Back