Sell or Keep my Gen II?

Sactown2008

The wife is hinting I should sell my 95 XLT F150 "and the Yamaha" to quickly replenish one Savings account we rarely ever touch. I say "only the Ford."

The reason is I can retire in four years and I paid cash for my dream car on 10/21/13. A restored 1969 El Camino(rebuilt 350, mild cam, Edelbrock, Holly Headers and 3" pipes to the back, with MSD). I had been shopping 68-70 El Caminos for over 30 years, since I sold my green "beater-daily driver" in 1979 for a boring new 1980 Toyota truck.

A week ago we also bought the wife a loaded 2010 Lexus RX350(large down so very small payments) to replace her 98 Volvo S70 GLT(we are giving to our 28 year old son).

I rode the FZ1 to work yesterday, for the first time since my ride to Antioch, CA on the Sacramento south river road to see the El Camino on 10/20. I FORGOT how much fun the FZ1 is(even committing). I told her last night, even though the El Camino is not a daily driver and insurance(Haggerty) says its is to be stored in a locked garage, I'll sell F150 but would rather not sell the Yamaha. What are your thoughts? :waiting:

You're in one of the best places in the world to have a motorbike. I'd ditch the truck in a heartbeat. If you ever need a truck to do dirty deeds for the day, rent or borrow one for cheap and use the bike and that car for everything else

:)

Thanks for all the comments

You're in one of the best places in the world to have a motorbike. I'd ditch the truck in a heartbeat. If you ever need a truck to do dirty deeds for the day, rent or borrow one for cheap and use the bike and that car for everything else :)

Two friends with Rods(34 Deuce and 56 F100) said the same, "Dump the 95 F150 and borrow our little beater trucks if you need to haul something."

I appreciate the comments.

We left the Ford and car at home today(to pick up her Volvo at shop later) and it was HER idea to commute today on the bike. Cha Ching!

Your right though, "It rarely rains in the Central CA Valley," or about 60 days a year, mostly between October and April.

Keep It

I sold a bike that I loved, more than once for similar reasons. Sooner or later you will replace it for more than what the one you sold cost (and certainly more than you will get for it). Taking that into account makes it a bad decision. Keep the bike, sell the truck. The El Camino can haul anything the truck did and look really good at the same time. One of my favorite vehicles, and yours looks FINE!

Honey I'd sell the bike but the market is flooded with used FZ1's. They are worth so little were better off keeping it. I know I'll get the itch to buy another bike in the future and this one is paid for. I'd hate to sell it for $3500 then turn around and buy a new bike for $10,000 in a year or two.

:Liar::sinister:

The El camino is awesome. Here is what "I" would do. Keep the bike sell the Ford then throw a 502 create engine in that MOFO. Sell something of hers and put the cash in the bank.:woot:

what to do????

lexus should last a long time, still giving to 28 year son?? i have been told "times have changed" and im a dino. when i was 23 i had served 16 mo. in jungles of vietnam and was raising 2 kids, got so poor twice, i could not afford a car and a bike, sold the car. decisions, decisions take care wayne

Keep the bike for all the reasons above.

Tell her to sell her shoe and handbag collections :sinister:

Then get your son to pay at least something for the Volvo.

Sorted!!!!

Sounds like wifey might be trying to keep things "even". You get your restored El Camino, he gets her expensive SUV. But you still have two other vehicles ! Uneven. Sooo.

Maybe you should sell the truck, and buy her an FZ6. Or maybe a Monster, or FZ09! To even things out, of course.

I am NOT selling my 08 fz1

Keep the bike for all the reasons above.
Tell her to sell her shoe and handbag collections :sinister:
Then get your son to pay at least something for the Volvo.
Sorted!!!!

Talking to son tonight. He is bailing on his "beater 95 Accord" because he makes so little working part time at Apple Store and going to college. Two mechanic friends said "all the things wrong with his customized/lowered 95 Honda will be allot cheaper than ONE 98 Turbo Volvo repair."

Wife and I will sell F150 AND her Volvo($3.5k in it just this last year) and help son fix all the small things on his Accord (he has no money for).

Modern computer controlled cars have really stifled young men learning to do all their own repairs. I lift the hood of the new 69 El Camino and GLORY at the lack of OBDII.. YEA!

Thank you for your Service Wayne

lexus should last a long time, still giving to 28 year son?? i have been told "times have changed" and im a dino. when i was 23 i had served 16 mo. in jungles of vietnam and was raising 2 kids, got so poor twice, i could not afford a car and a bike, sold the car. decisions, decisions take care wayne

Son can't afford Volvo repairs, so we will sell Volvo AND F150. Put that $$ back in the Savings and help son get his 95 Accord SMOGGED for Christmas. I will teach him how to do body-work and and we can get it painted next year for his birthday.

:spank2:

PS - I am keeping the 08 FZ1. Rode it two days in a row to work. TOO MUCH FUN.

Back