Share your tips for camping/touring

Lot's of great ideas so far so I won't repeat them.
I think the best "Bear Spray" - "Self Defense Spray" that I have seen is from Cold Steel. LOL They are the knife company that takes a lot of jokes for their videos of cutting meat with their knives. LOL Well some of those videos are goofy but they make top quality stuff. The make a spray called Inferno that is the best self defense spray I have ever seen.

Pepper Spray : Inferno by Cold Steel

There is a video at the bottom. Just watch when they spray that big boy and see how it comes out. I wouldn't want to face a bear with this but I would choose this over all the other sprays that I have seen.

I also carry a Taurus 40 cal pistol with me. Now this gets tricky anytime someone brings up guns so to each there own. I personally have grown up around guns and carry one when I travel. Get your carry permit and stay legal. Be smart about where you are going and don't carry where you are not suppose to carry. If you don't want to carry - don't. However I would recommend taking some form of self defense (for the bears and some of the people you will encounter).

You will also need a GOOD KNIFE. Not a cheapo knife and a lighter. Make these things count. Also bust out some money for a tent. THAT IS THE ROOF OVER YOUR HEAD. It is the most important part. If it leaks - you will be miserable. I promise - been there :banghead: The secret to camping is to be comfortable. If you can't pack enough stuff to be comfortable - you should probably stay in a hotel as mentioned above. It is a trade off between packing/space/ and mula.

I don't think I could improve on the list thus far. I don't do sleeping on the ground anymore. My camping requires my Jeep and a small trailer to pull all the gear, most importantly the large air beds. My touring is done while staying in moderate priced hotels and B&B's. The most important piece of gear I take is my wife's credit card. Man that thing takes a beating when I'm on the road. Good thing she still likes me.

Yeah, I did a 3 state ride last year, hot shower & cool sheets def got the vote over tenting it. If I'm going to ride those kind of long miles, might as well be clean & well rested. Knife, mini-mag flashlight, 1st aid kit, and the life saver was the Camelbak in my tank bag. Nothing like letting yourself get dehydrated and cramping.

Old school you are prepared for anything, by contrast I am a minimalist, below is my accomodation, It is safe, weatherproof, snake and spider proof and will confuse a Salt Water Croc for long enough for me to put a 12 Guage solid in its head, (I carry a Rossi 20inch Coach Gun in my Givi topbox, these buggers are everywhere up north since they became protected a law I totally ignore) We have a saying down here, "Better to be tried by twelve than carried by six"

Down Under Dingo Biker Single Canvas swag with 32mm mattres

My wallet with my cards, spare phone, prescriptions, spare drugs, spare cash and tyre repair kit live under the seat. The Topbox carrys 2 cameras, 4 lenses 12 Gig solid state 10inch computer with 3g Plug in wireless, EPIRB and if I am into the wilds a rented Satelite Phone and comprehensive but small medical kit with Polyvalent anitivenom in 4 types for those unwanted encounters with Australia's seemingly endless different types of venonous Fauna.1 Bottle of fine Malt Whiskey and one bottle of expensive Claret and one bottle of very cheap Chateau Sydney Harbor (I figure that one day I may well find myself dying next to some dirt outback road and I am going out pi*sed.)

Two 5 piece fishing rods and minimal tackle (live bait in this country is always available in any hole in the ground or tree,) to cook fish I use the Aboriginal method of wrapping them in bark or newspaper and soaking it in water and throwing it into a good bed of coals until the newspaper or bark begins to burn by then the fish is perfectly steamed.

Most nights I sleep under the stars with the swag open, down South it may get to 50 Deg C during the day and minus 4 at night and you can touch the milky way.

I dont wear underpants I prefer ladies pantyhose and carry 2 pair of those (my boyfriend likes the red ones) they dry quickly when wrapped around the mirror stalks and prevent chafing.

And that my mates is it (apart from a tooth brush no tooth paste)

There is nothing like living like a Black Man to make one realize thet THEY are the civilized race and we have much to learn from them.

camping

I have only been camping for 3 days once and went to germany doing 560miles but staying at one place (family) but as long as you get the bike serviced and have newish tyres on then your maintenence can be cut down to minor things like small can of chain wax,tyre angle valves,puncture repair or something to get out of trouble spare money in the bank will cover your new tyre if need be.take not alot of clothing just a few socks and trousers,a fleece,t-shirts a few as you will be mainly in your bike gear but you will need something to wear for that bar meal and drink.
I am collecting some things for a scotland tour for 2012-13 a purchase every month or so the tent is first a vango omega 350-450 then sleeping bag etc,dont need a lamp as i have a wind up one that'll rechage from a socket.some money in the bank to get you outta trouble too and petrol or gas as you say in the states.but always keep it simple no good weighing the bike down.My set up is a 6o litre floatable duffle bag with a givi top box with a rack on for the sleeping bag and inflatable mattress.

Yeah, I did a 3 state ride last year, hot shower & cool sheets def got the vote over tenting it. If I'm going to ride those kind of long miles, might as well be clean & well rested. Knife, mini-mag flashlight, 1st aid kit, and the life saver was the Camelbak in my tank bag. Nothing like letting yourself get dehydrated and cramping.

dont you have showers on the camp sites in the states ?

cant you have a shower in a local amenities ? erm over here you can pay a little to have a shower in a council run sports centre.they have to cater for the homeless.................or people without running water.

I would love to travel around america on a bike from the green lush to te desert like areas.

Last edited:
Amazing simple little addition to your touring kit...

Hi all. After finding the Motrax throttle grip ("cruise control") and used it last year on a European trip, (including an epic charity ride of 850 miles in one day from Sword beach, Normandy, France to Checkpoint Charlie, Berlin, Germany), it proved itself just as essential as my passport and a credit card.

Highly recommended to totally avoid sore hand/wrist from motorway treks.

Back