Shinko 009 Raven sport-touring tire

Hey man, thanks for updating this thread! That is very impressive mileage so far. It really does look like you could squeeze another 5k out of them. Glad they are working for you :)

Yeah, if they get 10k I will be stoked because they are a bit cheaper than the T30's. If they get 12k or better.... smiles all around!

I just checked my logs and on the last 3 T30's I had this was the mileage I got out of them:

So 10k was the max on that tire that I was able to get. I never had a chance to try the EVO. I think I managed to get 11k out of a BT23, but I no longer have those records, that was on my first bike. I will update again. I am still sorta shocked I did 7k miles since April....

Last edited:
Yeah, if they get 10k I will be stoked because they are a bit cheaper than the T30's. If they get 12k or better.... smiles all around!

I just checked my logs and on the last 3 T30's I had this was the mileage I got out of them:

So 10k was the max on that tire that I was able to get. I never had a chance to try the EVO. I think I managed to get 11k out of a BT23, but I no longer have those records, that was on my first bike. I will update again. I am still sorta shocked I did 7k miles since April....

I just changed the tire over the weekend, I put another Shinko on the rear, I got 9654 miles off this one and probably could of force another 500 out of it, but the tires are so cheap I did not feel I needed to get all my pennies out of it.
So, it is comparable to the T30 as far as tire life goes, in fact when you do the math from the last 3 T30's I owned, the Average Life Span on them was 9685.

So, for the price and the performance I need for my commuting, the Shinko is the perfect tire. I am very happy with them.

Also of note, the Shinko Front has 7060 miles on it and it still looks brand new.

Glad to hear you're having good success with the Shinkos. The climate you ride in and rate at which you go through tires makes these a perfect choice, IMO.

So, My Front finally gave out and I got 13,859 miles out of it. I probably road it 500 miles more than I should have..... But that is just over a week of commuting for me, so it went out pretty quick, in fact when I pull the wheel off the front was flat.... not sure how I rode on a flat tire, but I did.... sketchy.

So here is my mileage comparison:
Shinko Front - 13,859 Miles
Bridgestone T30 Front - 13,094 Miles
Bridgestone T30 Front - 11,000 Miles
Bridgestone T30 Front - 11,860 Miles

So the Bridgestones compound must have improved over the years because I had a jump of nearly 2k from the first 2 I ran to the last one before I switched to Shinko.

I am pretty sure I will stick with Shinko from here on out, same/better mileage for less cost.

So, My Front finally gave out and I got 13,859 miles out of it. I probably road it 500 miles more than I should have..... But that is just over a week of commuting for me, so it went out pretty quick, in fact when I pull the wheel off the front was flat.... not sure how I rode on a flat tire, but I did.... sketchy.

So here is my mileage comparison:
Shinko Front - 13,859 Miles
Bridgestone T30 Front - 13,094 Miles
Bridgestone T30 Front - 11,000 Miles
Bridgestone T30 Front - 11,860 Miles

So the Bridgestones compound must have improved over the years because I had a jump of nearly 2k from the first 2 I ran to the last one before I switched to Shinko.

I am pretty sure I will stick with Shinko from here on out, same/better mileage for less cost.
Thanks for the update! You certainly do rack up the miles!

Just replaced my rear, 9,662 miles on that tire, and I could have pushed it another week or so. Put a Fresh Shinko Raven on. Bike has 102k miles now.

Since Covid I have actually driven my truck to work way more than I ever used too because traffic is so light, and it can be nice to sip on a coffee on the way into work.

So I finally got around to needing to replace one of my tires, my rear developed a split in it. The guy at the shop thinks I could have hit something sharp on the road to cause it. Which could be the case. As soon as I saw it I ordered a new Tire and parked the bike. I got just shy of 6k miles on that rear tire.

Attachments

• Shinko Raven split rear.jpg
    Shinko Raven split rear.jpg
    967.2 KB · Views: 6
@Klurejr With the split, can't you just plug the tire or is there a danger with the split?

The split was down to the wire bead, but the tire was not leaking. I actually only saw the split because I was standing at my bike after work and spinning the rear tire while on the phone.... I rode it home and just replaced it. I was temped to dump some super glue in there to see if that would stop it from splitting further.... but ultimately decided if that did not work and the tire ripped apart at 80mph that would be very dangerous for me. I spend most of my time on the bike at 80-90mph commuting on the Freeway.

Today at just over 7000 miles I either had a catastrophic failure or I hit something that that cut the tire really bad. I am working on my GO-Pro footage, but here is the gist. Cruising in the Car Pool lane on my way into work today and noticed a vibration that came on suddenly that is not normal. I slowed a bit and moved around in the lane to make sure I was not just on a weird line of Concrete. I was slowing a bit as well then the rear tire blew out and went flat. As I pulled into the center divide of the freeway the rear was moving around like it was on ice. Once I stopped I saw why.

I am pretty sure it was not faulty manufacturing, but I wanted to get it fixed today and I wanted to buy from my local shop. They beat the online price of Rocky Mountain ATV (where I bought the Shinko's) for a Michelin Road 4. It will be my first Michelin on this bike, but a quick search showed me that some guys are getting well over 10K out of one, so that is my hope. At $250 for tire, install and tax it is a little bit more than the Ravens.

I guess I will have to post up in the Road 4 thread, if we have one once I get some mileage on em. My FZ1 has 126,652 miles as of this morning.

I think this was the impact that started the whole problem:
1659560050582.png

Followed by this mess:

1659560094275.png

Shop just called and I am keeping the old tire so I can inspect the inside.

Keep it rubber side down everyone!

So I have decided to move away from the Shinko's - the last few rears I have had including this one above have been a problem.

The last 3 gave me the following mileage:
7152 being the mileage when the one above blew out in August 2022. I put a Michelin Road 4 on the rear after that. Having one split and another blow with such low mileage tells me something is off with the quality or I just got 2 badly made tires.... I really don't stress them, just running to work and back at a steady speed on the freeway.

My Shinko Raven Front started showing some flat spots and randomly lost a bunch of pressure a month ago. I filled it back up and it held, but I knew it was overdue to be replaced. I managed to get 16,794 miles on that tire, so that was good.

I decided to stick with Michelin and got a Road 6 GT for the front. My local shop will price match with Rocky Mountain ATV, so that is good for me.

First ride with the Michelin front to work today. I will have to go find a Michelin road thread and post up in there as I ride them.

I've only had Shinko's twice: on my Ninja 300 right before I sold it and on my CRF230M. No problems but they were very low stress bikes. From reading MANY reviews, it seems they are very 'hit or miss' re: durability/quality. Some folks love 'em and have no issues, but if there is one part on a bike I really don't want to roll the dice on, it would be tires!

I've only had Shinko's twice: on my Ninja 300 right before I sold it and on my CRF230M. No problems but they were very low stress bikes. From reading MANY reviews, it seems they are very 'hit or miss' re: durability/quality. Some folks love 'em and have no issues, but if there is one part on a bike I really don't want to roll the dice on, it would be tires!
Yep, and losing the rear at 75-80mph on that last one was enough for me to say no to them. When I was young I went with cheap tires on everything I owned to save money... not anymore. When the Suburban we bought back in 2018 needed new tires I got Michelin on all 4 corners.

I just changed the tire over the weekend, I put another Shinko on the rear, I got 9654 miles off this one and probably could of force another 500 out of it, but the tires are so cheap I did not feel I needed to get all my pennies out of it.
So, it is comparable to the T30 as far as tire life goes, in fact when you do the math from the last 3 T30's I owned, the Average Life Span on them was 9685.

So, for the price and the performance I need for my commuting, the Shinko is the perfect tire. I am very happy with them.

Also of note, the Shinko Front has 7060 miles on it and it still looks brand new.

Your Bridgestone mileage is 50% better than I typically get with my Gen 1. I think road surfaces must play a big part in tire life. The FZ1OA members from down in Georgia area use to be impressed with me getting 6500 out of a set in New England. Your Shinko #s are 100% better. I alway shudder when I think how much I've spent on tires. I didn't read through your whole thread do you change your own tires?

Back