Shoei RF1100

ecruz

Just received my RF 1100. Love the fit, venting, quality, etc. However, there is the well documented "whistle" noise. I've seen a couple of posts about people loosening the shield mounting screws and pushing the mounts back, to eliminate the whistle. My question, has anyone successfully cured the whistling on this helmet? I love the helmet, but it's way too expensive for me to keep, if I can't cure that annoying noise.

Thanks

Just received my RF 1100. Love the fit, venting, quality, etc. However, there is the well documented "whistle" noise. I've seen a couple of posts about people loosening the shield mounting screws and pushing the mounts back, to eliminate the whistle. My question, has anyone successfully cured the whistling on this helmet? I love the helmet, but it's way too expensive for me to keep, if I can't cure that annoying noise.

Thanks

Seem that you know the answer already. Adjust the visor mount hardware like you described to make sure the visor closes tight to the rubber seal. Secondly make sure you keep the rubber seal clean and the visor inside dust free. When the visor seats properly to the rubber seal the helmet is very quiet. Unless all the vents are open.

I just figured I'd ask for responses from people who have had experience with it, before I started messing with the mounts. If it wasn't going to help, I'd just send it back now and avoid the hassle.

Thanks

I just figured I'd ask for responses from people who have had experience with it, before I started messing with the mounts. If it wasn't going to help, I'd just send it back now and avoid the hassle.

Thanks

I love the fit and feel of my RF-1100 and all the features; like removable, washable liner. The sheild mechanism is complex but easily adjustable. If you are rough with the visor or stuff your arm though the opening to carry it, it can be pulled out of adjustment. It is well worth the time to clean and adjust the latches. Sometimes just a tiny push on the lower visor edge while riding will tighten the seal enough when it is out of whack, to stop any whistle.

It looks like you've figured it out already, but here's Shoei's video on caring for the visor (they use an X-11, so not exactly the same shield system, but close enough)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYg3pS7sj4Y]YouTube - ‪Shoei Helmets: Tech Tips Series[/ame]

Sometimes I get a whistle with my RF-1100 with all vents open when I turn my head to the side. I can tell it's coming from the vents, not the shield. I like the thin, sticker test they talk about in the video to see if the shield is seal is correct. Enjoy your helmet. It's an awesome helmet. What color/graphic did you get?

Back