Shorting starter relay

Hi guys I own a 2010 FZ1 N ABS and recently started to get an intermittent issue where the bikes starter won't crank on starter press but will always click, sometimes It will click then after 2 odd seconds will start cranking, other times it starts as if nothing is wrong.

Once the bike is warmed up it starts up perfectly. Usually letting go of the button then pressing it again it eventually starts (1 or 2 tries) and this always occurs when the engine is cold. I got error code 12 Crank position sensor but I've heard in various forums for Yamaha related vehicles the fix is the starter relay rather than the sensor so wanted to try either shorting it or replacing it to confirm.

I've attached a few pics of what's under the seat, can sometime identify its location?

Thanks in advance

IMG_20160409_133217210_HDR.jpg

The large positive battery cable should go to the start relay. You should be able to check it with a test light. Of course the positive cable will have power all the time and the other large cable coming from the relay to the starter should have power every time it pulls in (clicks).

Back