So I did something about the upper fairing.....

Thought of doing this to mine a while ago but the unfinished look of the rear of the lights and the wiring hanging around put me off. Also the mirrors have to go. But hey if you like it, its different.

That's exactly what my old man said. He didn't like the unfinished look, as for the wires you can tuck those away pretty nicely. If you wanted it to be permanent, then you can make to so you couldn't see any more wires than you did before. The main cluster of wires fits very nicely between the forks.

I already changed it back, only takes about 30 mins. I'm waiting to see what I really want to do with the front. I ordered some cheap bar end mirrors just in case I do decide to stick with a look like that.I'm thinking about picking up a front fairing of eBay and do what cobalt mentioned, right now there's one on there that would work for ~70$

I'm biased, but the N kit is money well spent. It's all factory Yamaha parts, so they're built to work with this specific bike. There are no issues with questionable quality like some aftermarket items. Because of that, it looks very neat and tidy when it's all put together. The N bike isn't available in North America, so it's the best of both worlds. You get a custom look and don't see 7 other guys (or gals) in a day riding your bike, but you also get a neat, tidy, factory finished look.

The cost can put you off for sure, but once it's on the bike and you're riding it, how much you paid for it is the last thing on your mind. Motorcycling is an expensive hobby. Modifying them doesn't make it any cheaper. The way I look at it is that it's my fun money. Don't get me wrong; I am not loaded, throwing cash around like it's confetti. I will cheap out on my winter beater, my work clothes, or anyhting else that I don't derive any pleasure from owning. I'll happily spend any extra money on my bike and riding it, because it's the limited fun I get to have; why compromise if you don't have to?

That being said, I like what you did with your bike. It's not the look I would choose, but it reflects good imagination and resourcefulness. I love seeing people do different things to their bikes. I would be pretty bland if we all rode the same bike down the same road at the same speed day after day, right? Part of what I love about motorcycles is that they're not very common to begin with. I like doing something different.

I was really tempted to do the same thing, still am actually. I love the look.
Shave off the tabs on the headlamp and go. May find a small speedscreen to cover up a few of the wires, etc.

I like it, but it needs something between the headlight and the gauges. I would love to cut up a badly rashed fairing and cut out that section leaving enough above the headlights to make LED brow running light blinkers.

I think you did a pretty good job.
I do agree with everyone that the mirrors need to be changed. Anyway - I think it looks pretty good.

I just went the opposite direction and ordered those radiator covers that join the front fairings.

YellowTCPpanels02.jpg

Not my bike but you get the idea.

Last edited:
I think you did a pretty good job.
I do agree with everyone that the mirrors need to be changed. Anyway - I think it looks pretty good.

I just went the opposite direction and ordered those radiator covers that join the front fairings.

YellowTCPpanels02.jpg

Not my bike but you get the idea.

I love these radiator covers where did you order them from? any link?
Thanks

I think it looks better than the full lower fairing Yamaha offers, & less headache when changing oil. the bike should have come this way from Yamaha, very clean look.

I agree.
I almost bought a set of full fairings a few weeks ago but ran out of cash. It turns out that I may have lucked out.

Although I wouldn't say it's perfect, I quite like the idea.

If you made a small bikini faiting & painted it black, and relocated the mirrors (bar end mirrors?) it would look fantastic.

Although I wouldn't say it's perfect, I quite like the idea.

If you made a small bikini faiting & painted it black, and relocated the mirrors (bar end mirrors?) it would look fantastic.

I agree some kind of a small aerodynamic instrument cluster cover (like the ones on a ducati), maybe a modified small wind shield & definitely relocate the mirrors.

That's exactly what my old man said. He didn't like the unfinished look, as for the wires you can tuck those away pretty nicely. If you wanted it to be permanent, then you can make to so you couldn't see any more wires than you did before. The main cluster of wires fits very nicely between the forks.

I already changed it back, only takes about 30 mins. I'm waiting to see what I really want to do with the front. I ordered some cheap bar end mirrors just in case I do decide to stick with a look like that.I'm thinking about picking up a front fairing of eBay and do what cobalt mentioned, right now there's one on there that would work for ~70$

at the end of the day, if you like it... go for it and forget what anyone else thinks :yes:

By reading the thread it seems as if this is not that hard to do. Does anyone have a quick walk through of the steps I should take to do this. I just feel like messing around with it. and I already have bar end mirrors and no windscreen. Ive seen a guy riding around in the Portland, OR area with what I think is an FZ1 and this done to the lights. but cant be sure because he is usually pretty quick on the throttle.

Back