Soft bags/GPS mount for 1st gen

dodger06

Hey, so I'm new to the forum and FZ1's (actually picking it up from the dealer tomorrow). I have/am getting a 2003 FZ1 and am looking for soft bags and a good GPS mount for a Garmin 255W for it. Anybody have any recommendations or good places to look? Thanks!

I'm using (the really good industrial) velcro to mount my GPS to the risers. :) I'm not leaving it on all morning, though..

Thinking of getting the Rocket Hammerhead bag - I have plenty of luggage space (3 givi's) but a tank bag would be handy..
..a

I use the fieldsheer stuff on my 05 and I love it. got the expander saddle and tail bags (saddle bags on closeout at newenough.com). I use the access tank bag as a "command center" and have my gps mounted to it and the motocomm stuff in one of the side pockets. I'll probably get a larger bag because girls have to carry too much stuff for that small bag.

I also have a sears case mounted to a seat for city use. I would have a picture of the setup with camping stuff but I tried to delete one picture and accidentally deleted them all!! Hoping a friend copied them so I can at least get a couple back.

Thanks for all the responses! Just one question about that RAM Mount for the GPS. It looks pretty tall, does it stick above the windscreen/fairing when riding?

Wow! newenough.com has much better prices than anywhere else i've looked. Thanks!

I use the fieldsheer stuff on my 05 and I love it. got the expander saddle and tail bags (saddle bags on closeout at newenough.com). I use the access tank bag as a "command center" and have my gps mounted to it and the motocomm stuff in one of the side pockets. I'll probably get a larger bag because girls have to carry too much stuff for that small bag.

I also have a sears case mounted to a seat for city use. I would have a picture of the setup with camping stuff but I tried to delete one picture and accidentally deleted them all!! Hoping a friend copied them so I can at least get a couple back.

Thanks for all the responses! Just one question about that RAM Mount for the GPS. It looks pretty tall, does it stick above the windscreen/fairing when riding?

There are 2 or 3 different lengths of the Ram arms to fit your application. I've used Ram Mounts on the last 6 bikes. Great product!

Got the Fieldsheer bags, installed them yesterday and they work great! Didn't get the Expander bag, but the size smaller. Much bigger than I thought, and have D loops and clips on the top for tying things down/strapping on a tail bag. Next project is to use those existing clips and fashion up some tie down straps.

Now as far as the GPS mounts go. How much room around the bar do you need to install the RAM mount? Cause I have the GYT-R riser (1" lower than stock) and Drag Bars on my bike, and don't have a lot of clearance from the top of the shocks.

The Ram Mount handlebar clamp does not require much space to mount-maybe an inch or so on the bar. I took pics of my mount, but they're a bit blurry...quite dark in the shed this morning.

Simple ram mount

4671151339_db5fe4fc02_b.jpg

4671776364_a48fcb2592_b.jpg

4671776534_840e93b73b_b.jpg

The Ram Mount handlebar clamp does not require much space to mount-maybe an inch or so on the bar. I took pics of my mount, but they're a bit blurry...quite dark in the shed this morning.

Thanks for the pictures! That helped a lot.

I ordered the RAM mount, I guess if it doesn't work, I'll have to order new handlebars a little sooner. I'm gonna get taller handlebars eventually, but the bike came with the drag bars so I'm gonna try to use them for a while yet.

yes there functional behind the fairing there like the yamaha ones mounted to the frame

Thanks. If you ever remove the fairings for oil changes, etc., please snap a couple of pics with just the sliders mounted to the bracket. I'm really curious to see how it looks. My lower fairing bracket goes from the top bolt to the bottom bolt, and then the fairing disc screws to the center of the bracket, never touching the frame.

these are renthall m x bars and your welcome to em as soon as i find some bandit 1250 or xjr bars

Are they by m x do you mean the motocross version? Just wondering, cause I heard they just came out with a street version, but don't really know the difference between the versions.

But yeah, if you're looking to get rid of them, I'd be interested. As long as they fit the stock risers (pretty sure they're the same size, but not certain).

Back